Unit 240 mule deer mentor

MTbackwoods

I’ve lived near 240 most of my life and I have a new interest in getting back into the thick and nasty in pursuit of some muley bucks. I’m buying and reading books on mule deer behavior, etc. But hands on teaching seems to always work best. Just wondering if there’s anybody out there interested in bestowing some knowledge on mule deer in general as well as any area specific data and information. To clarify, I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR HONEY HOLES. I am only interested in the knowledge and experience. I want to earn my first big muley

Big muleys got killed by the truck load all over the state just a couple years ago. They’re out there to be found. And I don’t mean 190+. Just a good, mature buck

There is no reason to get back in the thick and nasty with a rut hunt. That buck that lived there all summer is just as likely to be looking for love near a road or in some ranchers alfalfa field as he is to be back in the tough stuff.

There is no reason to get back in the thick and nasty with a rut hunt. That buck that lived there all summer is just as likely to be looking for love near a road or in some ranchers alfalfa field as he is to be back in the tough stuff.
I want the challenge. Plus the unit I will be hunting had some changes made for this year. The unit became smaller and the season ends mid November rather than late November. So no peak rut activity there while in season
Appreciate the ground shattering help

I want the challenge. Plus the unit I will be hunting had some changes made for this year. The unit became smaller and the season ends mid November rather than late November. So no peak rut activity there while in season

Appreciate the ground shattering help
It has always ended mid November. The biggest change is that it is now a general tag and not a draw unit, although it was unlimited. It's a damn tough unit to kill a big mule deer in. But, that may depend on your expectations of big. mtmuley

It has always ended mid November. The biggest change is that it is now a general tag and not a draw unit, although it was unlimited. It's a damn tough unit to kill a big mule deer in. But, that may depend on your expectations of big. mtmuley
I never paid that much attention to it before because I didn’t want to get locked into that unit with the permit. Now that it’s open to general, I wanna hit it up since I live 10 minutes from a trailhead that doesn’t get a lot of traffic. I know it’s a tough area but guys used to pull bruisers out of these drainages 10 years ago. Where are you located muley? I see you on just about every forum in existence lol. But my definition of big could be summed up with about 160+. But that depends on a lot of factors. Some days a good 140 would certainly do. I just want to kill mature deer and not the up-and-comers

Lightly used trailhead? Interesting. I'm on the East side of the Root. Hunted 240 for a long time. I'm on this forum and one other these days. Can't deal with the others. mtmuley

this is a weird thread. You know of drainages big bucks came out of 10 years ago? Well start hunting them. Trailhead that doesn’t get a lot of traffic? Perfect place to go. You keep mentioning score so you’re familiar with size of bucks. You have it all figured out. Get out there and hunt!

this is a weird thread. You know of drainages big bucks came out of 10 years ago? Well start hunting them. Trailhead that doesn’t get a lot of traffic? Perfect place to go. You keep mentioning score so you’re familiar with size of bucks. You have it all figured out. Get out there and hunt!
Those guys had the ability to spend 10+ days at camp up there and I do not. I have a toddler, a new born and am about to start construction on a house. Those drainages are also farther away from me and would like to remain closer to home in a more familiar area. I plan on going exactly where there is light traffic. That’s why I mentioned it. Gauging an animals size is only important once you’ve found them. If I can’t find them, judging them won’t be of much help to me. I am interested in learning why big bucks are where they are. In my specific area, what are they eating in July? September? November? Could I talk with a biologist? Sure. But I fear that conversation would go worse than this one. Hoped I’ve answered all your questions

Those guys had the ability to spend 10+ days at camp up there and I do not. I have a toddler, a new born and am about to start construction on a house. Those drainages are also farther away from me and would like to remain closer to home in a more familiar area. I plan on going exactly where there is light traffic. That’s why I mentioned it. Gauging an animals size is only important once you’ve found them. If I can’t find them, judging them won’t be of much help to me. I am interested in learning why big bucks are where they are. In my specific area, what are they eating in July? September? November? Could I talk with a biologist? Sure. But I fear that conversation would go worse than this one. Hoped I’ve answered all your questions
Ok so you want a mature buck without putting in the work? Got it.

I’ve lived near 240 most of my life and I have a new interest in getting back into the thick and nasty in pursuit of some muley bucks. I’m buying and reading books on mule deer behavior, etc. But hands on teaching seems to always work best. Just wondering if there’s anybody out there interested in bestowing some knowledge on mule deer in general as well as any area specific data and information. To clarify, I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR HONEY HOLES. I am only interested in the knowledge and experience. I want to earn my first big muley

I worked my little Irish balls off to get this Muley. I lived 3-1/2 hours away from my hunting area I drew the tag and made it over there 3 times to scout and 2 times to hunt. I’m from Montana but never been to the Bitterroots. I didn’t see a single buck while scouting. If I got this tag again I probably wouldn’t even scout, I’d show up maybe 10 days before the season closed and hunt hard till I got one. The rut was a game changer for me. This is one of two mature bucks I saw the whole time I was there, I’m not sure what he will score but I’m proud as hell of him and he’s my best mule deer by far and taken in the Beautiful Bitterroot Mountains western Montana. On a side note, I’ve never seen so many grouse as hunting this area for my Mule Deer, saw lots of elk as well!

D291E181-85F4-4BB2-AAAC-FB9A7C665069.png

9B4E41D1-D88B-4A9D-B30C-5C11AFF71D19.png

I practically live in 240 , did you ever get any tips ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom