unit 27 elk

freaknasty

hay doesn't anybody want to say anything about the elk hunt comming up. I talked to afriend of mine and he gave me some pretty good advice. so well see good luck to all

the late elk hunt in 27 can be a great hunt for trophy quality bulls but it is a tough hunt. i would recommend a horse if you could get one and pack into areas like stray horse which is just under the rim, or pack into the foot creek area.

I will be hunting in 4a the late Bull. Been up scouting and not seeing much. Hope it gets better durring the hunt. Good luck to all with Late Season tags and be safe.

I don't think Ive been in any of those places yet i have been in the blue,nolan,bear wallow,honeymoon and a few others.I know where i'm gonna start out but I was wondering about where the fire was about how big it was hows the vegatation and where the best place to get into might be?

the place called foote creek is in the upper blue. the upper blue is also a great place. If you drive down the red hill road and glass the other sides of the canyon you should find bulls. i have deer hunted down there and seemed to always run into some nice bulls. well if your up for a hike you can go to the bottom of the red hill road and hike up the foote creek trail from the bottom, or the horse ridge trail from the top, it is quite a hike but i packed in to there a few years ago on the late october mule deer hunt and the buls kept me up all night bugling. hope i didnt confuse you good luck.

o yeah there is another trail called the red hill trail that might be a good place to investigate. its in the upper blue also

I heard some one bailed off the red hill road into centerfire creek is there a trail that goes down there? I haven't seen it but why would you want to go that way anyway, thats shere madness don't you think. and what about going through that road that goes to the ranch off of the bue road.do you know where i'm talking about? just where is the trail at?
I've seen people parked there but scattered not all in one place so i didn't actually look for the trail that goes upto the peak any info on that? thanks for the help hope i can help if you need any info for the gila or other places in N.M.

well there is a trail at the bottom of the red hill road that i think is called the tut creek trail head and that goes up into the foote creek. There is a guy that owns a fish hatchery down in the bottom of the blue his name is jimmy joy he guides alot down there and he has horses. but he is a very nice man and would be more that willing to give info on the area. good luck hope you kill a good one.
I grew up in the gila there in NM unit 15 and 12 have guided a few elk hunts, mule deer and goats. but i dont know all of it so any info you got would be great help.

I've also guided and hunted in 15 and 16 d I like to go for sheds when i can but its a long way from home in pecos, I've been asking about the burn area and nobody seems to be willing to give any info on it so it leads me to believe that its a good place to try so if the blue doesn't pan out i'll go down and see????? thanks

Well if your talking about the burn from 2006 it is south of the rim and west of 191 down into what is called bear canyon chitty canyon and down in to stray horse and it is all very good elk country. i always hunt on the upper blue and i havent hunted the blue for about two years now but i had a buddy that killed a 380 bull on the back side of hanagan, and i heard of another guy killing a 420 bull some where close to hanagan during the archery hunt. i have 14 pts for elk and i am thinking about putting in for that late 27 hunt next year it has great potential

The Chitty burn from 2007, burned alot of acreage west of Strayhorse. If it greened up nicely it should be good for feeding and the elk being more visible.

There was another fire up there this past June I think and that one went just north of sheep saddle and east of the highway.

Some of those elk bed high up the canyon heads toward the rim in the dark timber and aspen, but they will travel a couple miles to come down to feed and water along the ridges that lead off of the rim into lower canyon country.

If you find a good glassing spot just below the rim where you can see the canyon country below, you will find bulls. Much hiking will be involved to get in there, and a back busting hike out if you get one.

I figured as much on the hike in and out thats the way it is in the blue iether from the bottom or the top but I'm willing to go where ever it takes to get a big one. Do you know of anyone that packs out animals besides mirion he's usually pretty busy with some other guys that contract him out when they kill out, do you think there any one that might rent some horses? if you get to worn out walking you like to have a back up plan you know.

There are always people at Strayhorse with horses and usually an outfitter down at the Hagan trailhead that may do it if they have time. Down on the Blue you can check with someone at the old "Downs" place as they rent cabins and an outfitter bases out of there also.

You can also check with the Beavercreek ranch up on top?

Have you checked out upper eagle creek and the rose peak area?
Last year I found some white elk sheds in some nasty canyons.
AND
if you could let me in on a unit 23 (NM)cow elk location my hunt starts on saturday. I have looked at Pueblo park area then up towards saddle mtn and on out to where that forest service road comes back into 180 by Luna. Everytime I drive through Luna, by the Reserve turnoff, and on to Saliz pass I usually see elk on the roads. Should I just drive the highway in the dark until the elk are on the "right side" and go after them when it gets light?
I may go look toward Alma/Alma mesa area. ANy other thoughts?
I am trying to get this tag filled as fast as possible so I can hunt whitetail around Safford on a tag that is at the same time!
Thanks

Jeff

I'd say that if you have seen elk by the main road thats where i'd start, that way if you get one it shouldn't be far from the road I've only been in 23 once a long time ago and I couldn't tell you what the names of the places I was in but for cow it shouldn't be to hard of a hunt. but its still hunting good luck hope its a trophy cow.haha

Lets see pictures when you get back!

When do you head out?
Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post.
Jeff

I have seen quite a few good bulls coming out of the hills. Just saw a toad this morning at Booga Reds cafe. I think he had outta state plates but it was a great bull. Also seen a 380 a freidn of mine guided a hunter to. awesome. Going out tonight to help a bbuddy out, we'll see what happens.

well didn't get him. 360 class on day 2 went to low on him gave me the slip and i could'nt relocate him at all through out the day. day 2, 3 bulls 380 to 390 class with a 360 and 300 went high on them then circled down hill just about in position try to find him in the trees and the wind shifted and blew them out needed obout 15 more seconds and i would have had the biggest bull I've have ever seen on the hoof down i just saw the smaller one rounding the hill and they were gone tried to get in position to see where they would come out but never found them again they don't get that big by being stupid I just couldn't pull the trigger of one of the other smaller bulls knowing theres that big of bulls out there I would've shot the 360 also but just could't make it happen in all i saw 23 bulls in five days a great hunt in all I learnd alot more country and really found out just how to get at these big bulls just wasn't in the cards this time. I saw two bulls come out of the same place I helped a guy pack out on the last day he got a wide 5x5 with some other points starting to come out one more year on this guy and he would have been a 7x7. I didn't get any pics of this bull just busy trying to get him out before dark. hay thats why they call it hunting not killing.
I got a text of a bull scoring 440 and another one 426 or so from unit 10 I think it was with U.S.O. not to sure get back to me if you can confirm.
GOOD LUCK ON ALL YOUR HUNTS
I'LL BE BACK

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom