Unit 27 late. Realistic expectations?

Dave32g

I drew 27 late elk this year.
I have never hunted AZ before, but I have done a decent amount of research on where I want to start looking.

I was just curious what a realistic expectations should be?
Of course everyone wants to kill a 400 or 380 or 350+ But what is a realistic goal for the unit?

what are the conditions looking like this year?
I know there was a decent amount winter/spring moisture.

How broken is too broken?

thanks in advance
Dave

Super dry all over the state. The 471" monster Jimmy John shot this year came from 27. He was with some other great bulls.
Realistic late elk hunts are always mature 6x6 if you hunt hard. 320-330, with some brutes always a possibility of the stars align.

I have hunted the late 27 a few years ago. I was blown away by the amount of people everywhere. I was there a week early and had scouted good bulls only to be literally over run by a group of dudes on horses opening day. I spent the entire hunt trying to get away from people which was a big mistake. I was also in unit 1 this year early archery. There are a lot of 300-320 bulls but the bigger ones are hard to find especially late. I would say if you can get a good bull pinned down before the hunt try to get it done opening day, otherwise you may spend your entire hunt looking. If you pass a 300" bull you better know where a better one is or you might regret it. They become ghosts real quick with that pressure.

Hunted it a few years ago. We saw a ton of bulls, but nothing bigger than a 315” — dead or alive. More people than any other hunt that i have been on.

Never been there but talked to a guide who has and he said what I said
I have 13 points I could draw that tag but not sure if able to physically to hack it , never ever would i have thought to say that , but that’s the way it is

My two daughters hunted with Justin from Premium Hunts out of Eager Az and did well... My oldest daughter couldn’t pass up this freak of a bull after passing a ton of broken up bulls She took one look thru the spotter and she said I like him dad so the hunt was on. No doubt it was busy opening day it was like a foot race at 4:30-5am trying to get to our spot before daylight. We were lucky to be in a great position to take the heavy bull open mornings after the snow storm
Cleared up.
FCFBB0F6-C429-44CC-90C4-C383C05C4229.jpeg
0DCFC8D1-25A1-4208-9AC1-0847922AF6A3.jpeg
E809DB08-7D68-4018-B002-D1B2BD54EA65.jpeg
DC9213DE-DF5C-4BB0-A863-E35057DB5D34.jpeg

My two daughters hunted with Justin from Premium Hunts out of Eager Az and did well... My oldest daughter couldn’t pass up this freak of a bull after passing a ton of broken up bulls She took one look thru the spotter and she said I like him dad so the hunt was on. No doubt it was busy opening day it was like a foot race at 4:30-5am trying to get to our spot before daylight. We were lucky to be in a great position to take the heavy bull open mornings after the snow storm
Cleared up. View attachment 20179View attachment 20180View attachment 20181View attachment 20182
Congrats to your daughters, and their dad! Too awesome.

Cleared up. View attachment 20179View attachment 20180View attachment 20181View attachment 20182
Super nice bulls.
I saw that freaky one on premium hunts insta page and thought to myself I would have shot that one first day.
I had no idea it was in the same unit I was.
congrats to both your daughters.

Dang that’s awesome two great bulls, I don’t blame your daughter I would have had to pull the trigger on that freak bull he is awesome! Congratulations to both of them.

That first Bull has the cool as H#ll factor don't think I would pass either.
That second bull was a fighter and love his dark horns.
Great pictures.

Fast forward a couple years from this thread to 2023... what about realistic expectations for this December?
Good moisture going into this season, hopefully not too many broken up bulls, but i've heard quality has been declining due to better ability to glass after recent fires?
We are going to arrive a few days early and will have a SxS so hopefully will be able to get around a bit. My youngest son has this tag and his older brothers are primed to spot and carry. Honestly I think he'd be thrilled with a 320 bull but with meat in the freezer maybe I can hold him off a bit??
Above or below the rim? (Back in my day I preferred to play above the rim but that's just me... :p)
Happy to hear any thoughts you may have.

If you haven’t been there since the fires, you are going to be shocked. It’s completely different than it used to be. You will see plenty of bulls most likely, and you will see more than enough people on every point glassing them. It’s wild. There are a ton of “spotters” used on this hunt. Getting there early, find one and try to get it done quickly. They get moved a lot. A 320 is definitely possible. Good luck and enjoy the time with your kids!!

We were there a couple years ago on a youth deer hunt but spent most time down south below the burns.
Kind of worried about the hunting pressure, it’ll be a new thing for us!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom