Unit 29 Mule Deer

ixsolracxi

Good morning all and congrats to everyone that drew...my 11 year old daughter and 14 year old nephew drew this unit as their 4th choice Oct 27-31...this will be their first year hunting...i have never been to this unit but will go out to look it over...they are really excited for this hunt and i want to do my best to make it memorable for them and to keep their interest high in hunting, fishing, and being in the outdoors...where are some good places to start scouting this unit? i will be ordering maps of the unit this week so i can get a general outlay of the land, have looked for previous posts on this thread and others, and will make a few trips out there over the summer...any advice or information would be greatly appreciated...

Carlos

PS...is there still a problem with the sheep dogs that were turned loose out there a few years ago?

dont have much on the unit but, i have seen deer around cornucopia draw on both unit 29 and 30. most have been in 29. it may be a good place to start looking

nmhunter, thank you very much...i really appreciate this information...trying to learn about the unit to make the kids' hunt the best it can be...

there dont seem to be too much info on the unit. i have a couple friends that hunt sheep in 29,and they alway see deer.there is lots of blm and state land along the 29/30 border. i would try to scout as much as possible. you should find deer

Thank you very much for the info on unit 24. it will give me a place to start scouting and any more info would be great. Sorry I dont know anything about unit 29. but if you drew anything in units 9,10,13,12 or 17 I can help you out there.

I have never deer hunted unit 29. It is a big desert intimidating unit that has been hammered with tags. Drought and overhunting have been hard on most of the SE deer units and 29 is not an exception.

That being said I know some people that put in for it and kill deer there.
I think if I was hunting it, I would work the remote brushy canyons.

Do a lot of glassing at first light.

I use google earth a lot to find water holes, canyons with good cover, agriculture fields, or other places that might be good deer country. Its a good tool to use to find areas to go scout, or give you a idea of what the lay of the land looks like. good luck

Thank you all very much for your time, thoughts, and suggestions...i do have google earth on my laptop and will be getting paper maps asap...i already have an excited 11 year old daughter and 14 year old nephew that are ready to get out there...thanks again!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom