Unit 3/301 elk info?

Goldberg

Folks, maybe a little help if you don't mind. Looking at land status on BLM maps and Onx hunt maps, I'm confused. There are tons of sections of "Colorado state trust- no public acess" noted on Onx. BLM just shows it as state lands. So even though these aren't private, still no hunting??
I've never hunted public ground in colorado, always paid access fees.
Also, if there is a road access to public ground, I assume its legal to hunt? I also assume it needs to be a public state or blm road to drive on? If its not labeled/numbered on map, are you trespassing if you're driving on a 2-track across private ground?
Thank you for any help you may want to share. My son and I have 3rd season cow tags. Will be his 1st elk hunt. Trying to make it a good experience for him.

Several pieces of State land are leased by an outfitter in 301 that I know of. He does a good job posting the land that he leases, but it's not 100%. If you are trespassing, he or his wife will call the warden and cite you. He has several people watching the property lines all day long. As an example, there's a 2 track that crosses over maybe an 80yd corner of their property and if you drive across it they call the warden. If you shoot an elk that goes down on there property, they have to let you get it, but you must contact them first (number is on the no trespassing signs). We've had to do that and they were very helpful and glad we followed the process. Good luck!

p.s. Be vary wary of the processors in Craig if you plan to use them. We've used Brothers and they were the absolute WORST i've ever experienced.

If you look at the Colorado Hunting Atlas online, it only shows the public land you can hunt. Some of that unit has good enough phone service that you can look at the atlas on your phone while in the field.

Several pieces of State land are leased by an outfitter in 301 that I know of. He does a good job posting the land that he leases, but it's not 100%. If you are trespassing, he or his wife will call the warden and cite you. He has several people watching the property lines all day long. As an example, there's a 2 track that crosses over maybe an 80yd corner of their property and if you drive across it they call the warden. If you shoot an elk that goes down on there property, they have to let you get it, but you must contact them first (number is on the no trespassing signs). We've had to do that and they were very helpful and glad we followed the process. Good luck!

p.s. Be vary wary of the processors in Craig if you plan to use them. We've used Brothers and they were the absolute WORST i've ever experienced.
Thank you for the info. I've only hunted the eastern edge on private land. Elk were plentiful there, during 3rd season. But we talked with many folks hunting public land that did as well as us. So thought I'd give it a try. Looking at the Colorado hunt atlas/maps, it looks like for the 3rd season I'm going to do better on the eastern edge because of migration patterns. I'm heading there for a few days to check out the western side where there's more public. Hoping to find some huntable ground!

If you shoot a critter and it runs on to private, IMHO....they do not have to let you on their property

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom