Unit 3 Elk ?

ColoradoRam

I was hoping someone had info on the 4th rifle season in unit 3 for elk. I have access to an 8,000 acre ranch near Fortification Rocks (?). The ranch owner said it was a very weather dependant unit. Cold and snow they are over 100%, hot and dry they take very few if any. Was wondering if anyone knows what the typical weather would be like in an average year for the 4th rifle hunt. Also I know its mainly rag horns taken but was hoping maybe being on private land thru the migration there might be a chance foe a larger elk. Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael

Sounds like all of the info you got is good. That could be an excellent hunt in a snow year, but probably was tough this last year with temps in the low 60s. You might have an outside chance of a 3.5 year old bull, but I would get my hopes up, and I wouldn't expect more than that. With good weather, you might be picking your raghorn out of a herd of 400-500 elk. With bad weather you might see 20 elk all week. I'd say that 4th season in that area is good more often than it is bad.

The hunt will totally come down to weather. I hunted 4th season this year in that area and it felt like archery season 50 degree days and no elk migrating at all. But then again you might be in luck having the advantage to hunt on private property because all the elk that migrate during the 3rd season often hang up on private property.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom