Unit 3 Rifle Antelope question.

Rodzilla_v

Hi folks, Just a quick question for those that regularly hunt Colorado. Drew this tag and I am beyond excited. Have my on X to maneuver between private and public land, however how does road access work? Is it OK to drive through private land to access public as long as its done through county road? Unit 3 has so much public sprinkled around private, just want to make sure its OK to hit those public areas. Are roads decent or having a atv recommend? Also what is the best place for gas, if any? Driving from CA, thinking of taking I-80 and coming down through Baggs. Love to see any pics of the area if anyone is willing to share. PM if you like. Thank you.
Rodzilla

County roads are public roads so no with smallish problem driving on them. You dont need an atv to get around but sometimes it is useful as long as you stay on trails. Its a fun hunt with plenty of opportunity at medium bucks. Gas up whenever you can. Baggs or Craig
Geez I screwed part of the message up. “No problem driving through private land while on county roads”.

Geez I screwed part of the message up. “No problem driving through private land while on county roads”.
I knew what you meant. Thanks for sharing. Good info to know, I hated the idea of taking the ATV all the way there. Yeah I am excited about he hunt, low expectations, just happy to hunt lopes in early October.

I knew what you meant. Thanks for sharing. Good info to know, I hated the idea of taking the ATV all the way there. Yeah I am excited about he hunt, low expectations, just happy to hunt lopes in early October.
I’ve hunted 3 probably 7 or 8 tImes for pronghorn. Back in the day you used to be able to get a leftover doe tag to use if you hadn’t drawn a buck tag. I love pronghorn meat, it’s my favorite game. The last time was a buck tag 3 seasons ago, I ran into 5 wolves about 1/3 of a mile away and watched them through the binoculars for ten minutes, no doubt in my mind what I saw. I told the CPW guy who checked my buck what I had seen, he was silent for a minute and then told me they were probably just big coyotes. I’ve only brought my atv once, it was mostly helpful but also unnecessary.

I'd look for water and you'll likely find antelope. Hands-down the highest concentration of antelope tend to be in 301 where there is more water but mostly private. Several outfitters likely have the largest patches of private leased. Most of the antelope in 3 migrated to 301 where there was ample water years ago....and pretty much stayed. As you go farther north and west from 301 there "tends" to be fewer and fewer antelope and things dry up. Once you get to Maybell and the Snake RIver there is more water, antelope, and public ground. There is private hay meadows in that area that tend to have quite a few antelope. Did I say look for "water"?

I'm not sure I would agree with leaving your ATV at home? That country turns to gumbo mud and can be slicker than snot when wet. I would at least consider bringing 4 sets of chains and a shovel? I guess it's your call?

In recent years there is a lot of country in 3 without antelope so it may help having an ATV or dirt bike to cover gobs and gobs of country a lot quicker on rough 2 tracks. The name of the game with antelope is covering lots of country. A Razor with same width as a truck is a lot less bumpy than a 4 wheeler since both front and back tires are in the ruts. You'll find out in a hurry that a 4 wheeler will beat you to death with 1 side of tires riding on sage!

Be fore-warned, the NW corner of Colo isn't what it was for quantity and quality of antelope 15 to 30 years ago. Several drought years many years ago plus scattered winterkill years hhas severely impacted that herd....especially once you leave a 10 mile radius of Craig. It may take the entire season to find a whopper. Be patient and be ready to cover lots and lots of country!

I had the tag back in 2018. Scouted my butt off for four days before the hunt started. Looked over hundreds of bucks, never seen anything giant but killed the best buck I could find.

DCEE76B4-A5F5-4D57-91A4-06FC1EE95562.jpeg

I'd look for water and you'll likely find antelope. Hands-down the highest concentration of antelope tend to be in 301 where there is more water but mostly private. Several outfitters likely have the largest patches of private leased. Most of the antelope in 3 migrated to 301 where there was ample water years ago....and pretty much stayed. As you go farther north and west from 301 there "tends" to be fewer and fewer antelope and things dry up. Once you get to Maybell and the Snake RIver there is more water, antelope, and public ground. There is private hay meadows in that area that tend to have quite a few antelope. Did I say look for "water"?

I'm not sure I would agree with leaving your ATV at home? That country turns to gumbo mud and can be slicker than snot when wet. I would at least consider bringing 4 sets of chains and a shovel? I guess it's your call?

In recent years there is a lot of country in 3 without antelope so it may help having an ATV or dirt bike to cover gobs and gobs of country a lot quicker on rough 2 tracks. The name of the game with antelope is covering lots of country. A Razor with same width as a truck is a lot less bumpy than a 4 wheeler since both front and back tires are in the ruts. You'll find out in a hurry that a 4 wheeler will beat you to death with 1 side of tires riding on sage!

Be fore-warned, the NW corner of Colo isn't what it was for quantity and quality of antelope 15 to 30 years ago. Several drought years many years ago plus scattered winterkill years hhas severely impacted that herd....especially once you leave a 10 mile radius of Craig. It may take the entire season to find a whopper. Be patient and be ready to cover lots and lots of country!

Jims, thank you for the wealth of information, so much to consider. Bummer to hear the populations not what they used to be. The country in 301 sure looks nice, wish it had more public land. Thanks again for the advice, I will for sure keep my expectations in check.

I have the same tag as well. Should be a fun hunt but my expectations are low as far as trophy quality, especially with the increase in tags.

Are you guys planning on staying in Maybell or Baggs or camping?
headed up scouting in 2 weeks . Have you guys been out there yet this year looking around? Thanks

Are you guys planning on staying in Maybell or Baggs or camping?
headed up scouting in 2 weeks . Have you guys been out there yet this year looking around? Thanks
I am wont be scouting before the hunt (did DM with a few folks in here that gave some kind advice); Still debating camping in Maybell, but i hear that campground gets pretty packed. We will likely be camping out wherever we end up as long as the weather permits. Our trophy expectation is very marginal, just hoping to have a good time chasing mature goats. Best of luck!

Ok, the hunt is over. Who got what? My buddy & I killed a couple of nice antelope near Maybell. 2 of the better ones we saw. It was like they all were made from the same cookie cutter---nice antelope but nothing special. We did have a small rattlesnake at our camp----made for a few interesting trips to go pee in the middle of the night.

My son shot a decent buck the afternoon of day one. I agree with ColoradoBob, Saw about 20 bucks and they all looked identicle. He finally picked one that was a little taller. It worked out great because he had a law school exam on Monday that he was stressing over.

First time hunting CO for lopes in this unit, was shocked at the amount of trucks going up and down every county road we pulled over to glass from. So many that we started counting, 47 different rigs in AM of day one and 36 different rigs in the PM of that same day, progressively lower after that. It was almost comical. As far as bucks go my wife and I had fun glassing goats, most barely above their ears, had a hard time finding anything worthy in 3 days. Killed this little guy on the last day. Thankful for meat and a good time shared with my wife. We stayed in Craig, neat little town.
Capture.JPG

Congratulations.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom