Unit 30 cell coverage and camping conditions

baerman

I will be heading down to the Carlsbad area for the December barbary sheep hunt. Having never been there but trying to prepare, i'm curious if there are pockets where we can find cell coverage or if we will need to us an inreach or similar.

Also, what is the primitive camping like there? will we be able to find adequate firewood and spots that are somewhat sheltered from the wind? I'm thinking we will be up on top of he rim and more towards the southern end but that may change as we intend to be mobile as needed.

Lastly, are the caverns worth checking out?

Any and all PM's are welcome! Thanks a million and happy hunting!
Greg

Verizon and Sprint used to get down there in certain areas. Have not been there in a few years. Tmoble sucked at that time but maybe now their is service. Plenty of camp sites and fire wood. Bring cold weather gear also, don't let the desert fool u. We had 65 deg weather one day and the next was an ice storm. All the blades of grass were like icicles even the pine needles. It was very cool though.

The wind always blows in Guads, especially off the Rim.

Definitely be prepared for cold weather. It's been known to snow down there in December (or during deer season, for that matter).

Yes, the Caverns are pretty cool. You might see more sheep there than on the hunt!

if you have verizon you will have good cell coverage anywhere up high. i wouldnt recommend camping up on the rim, your gonna freeze your butt off and winds are brutal. Much better to camp a few miles down off the rim, plenty of protected spots down low.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom