Unit 30

Bonehead13

I drew a deer tag for unit 30, 2nd season. I have not hunted it before so I'm unfamiliar with the area, other than I have two detailed maps now and I have been studying them so I am "somewhat" familiar. Anyway the reason for the post is that...yes I am asking for help any input would be appreciated. Maybe past experiences or different strategies to hunt it. Have they "usually" started their migration by 2nd season? Lots of deer? Or obviously good areas to check out. I have heard there are some areas you can hike into around private that hold deer. But again any input would be great if you need any advice on Utah areas or hunts. I would be more than happy to share my knowledge. Thanks for your time and good luck out there this year. Hopefully all this moisture we have had this spring puts some good horn growth on. Thanks again,
Jeff

I have never hunted unit 30 during big game seasons but have spent sometime in the unit. People I know who have hunted tend to focus most of thier time in the North and West section of the unit near the Utah boarder and dividing line with 21. Access is a bit tricky. While the map shows a lot of BLM land, there is a lot that is void of game and a lot that is very hard to access due to steep rugged terrain. that being said I have seen good buck from the highway on several occasions. I would think higher for 2nd seaon would be better and would start my search up on the soth side Douglas pass. If you are really into some hard hunting hiking etc. There is a lot of country above 21 road (a major extreme 4x4 trail near Junction). The area is very steep and rough but can house some good bucks.

Good Luck, deer numbers are ok, and so far horn growth closer to rifle is looking good.

Thanks elks96, i appreciate your time and information. I will definately look into those areas more. I will be heading out there a couple times before the hunt to learn the area first hand and hopefully see some quality bucks to get me pumped up. thanks again!

I have hunted Unit 30 several times all 3rd season, I'm more than willing to share my stories with you although I'm not sure how much it would apply to the second season. PM me if you would like more information.

I'll look for my map and get back to you. I have a very specific spot that is a must. Hunted 2nd season once and got a decent buck but won't hunt it again due to the fact that most deer were hanging on the ridge tops and every ridge top that held deer had a road. It was hard to find deer on remote areas. But I would be glad to help

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom