Unit 31 for archery elk

tmbr_hntr

Anyone archery hunted 31 for elk? Looks pretty rugged like you could get away from the crowds. Any thoughts on the unit? PMs welcomed.

I have hunted 31 for years..most of the animals in 31 are on private property that is either stay the hellout or leased by someone..the best hunting in 31 is up on the north west end between cambridge & brownlee res..again alot of hunters but if u are willing to walk a long ways it can be rewarding.. we smoked a nice 300" 6x6 missed a huge 380" 8x7 & a 300ish 6x7..we never saw a single person back in where we were at...the main side of 31 around weiser & the res is 99% private..all of the rock creek area is private & leased..keithly creek out of cambridge isnt a bad place either but again majority is private..

Thanks oldhornhunter

How about the nat. forest chunk in there? I'm looking to get back as far as possible so I don't mind hiking as much as needed.

the nat forest section is where most of the guys hunt...if u are set on 31 stay on the north west side of the unit over in the snake river breaks u can access it off the andrus there are a few people that hunt over there but if u are willing to walk a few miles u can usually get away from the crowds...good luck

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-09 AT 08:44AM (MST)[p]I agree with OLDHORNHUNTER. I hunted a controlled elk hunt (rifle) in there a few years ago and it was not an enjoyable hunt. It may be better during archery, but we were camped more than an hour from the highway and traffic was terrible... I couldn't wait to get home to get away from the people. x( Lots of private land blocking access, or holding the animals; lots of cows on the public lands. Our opening day hunt was blown by some fool driving his truck up the closed road we had walked in on. He parked in the center of the bowl we were watching.

I took a drive last sunday up the main manns creek road to sturgill look out & back down & up 4th of july & back out on jenkins creek road.. I talked too a couple of guys that had bull tags they had seen 3 spikes & 1 rag horn had been hunting for almost 2 weeks said they started over off of the cambridge side & all they saw were hunters & a few cows & calves..I guess those elk are pretty damn smart last day of deer season I hiked in around 2 miles & saw a herd of aprox 75 head..there were over 25 5 & 6 point bulls all hanging out on private property...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom