Unit 314 Camping

Rie bread

Very Active Member
Hi everyone new member and new to Montana elk hunting. Experienced deer hunter and stout backpacker. I was lucky enough to find a left over cow elk tag for 314.

Iv spent lots of time in the Wisdom area fly fishing but not so much over in the paradise valley area. I’m headed out for the general rifle season.

My main question is if anyone had a recommendations for a campground or two for accessing 314. I understand many amenities are shut off or closed so I’m prepared for that and proper waste disposal. As well as the camp day limits (16?). Mainly concerned with a campground with shelter from the wind in the valley.

Stoked to explore a new valley/range and experience the Montana elk season. Any other thoughts or tips are welcome. I’m Very bear aware.

Get out of the wind in paradise valley? Hahahaha . Not to be a Debbie downer but the access on that side of the valley is pretty locked up. The few access points there are are heavily utilized. For camping I would look into yankee Jim canyon or somewhere in the Gardiner basin. Less wind up there. Or mill ck.

Thank you for the camping tips! Yeah the one thing I remember other than the beauty was the wind haha!

Try living in Livingston! Wish I could share better advice but between the Bozeman crowd and the access I hunt elsewhere.

can’t be to picky about left overs haha. Thank you for the camping tips. I mainly just wanna get out for the experience. I’m really hoping next year I’ll draw a license and be able to go hunt other units.

Is accessing the zone from the gallatin worth it? Particularly the upper elevations?

If it’s not windy I prefer Yellowstone hot springs. But there is no bar and food offerings like Chico. I don’t think you would be better off trying to come from the gallatin side. I have hunted the windy pass area in September looking for a big bull but I wouldn’t be trying that in November looking for a cow.

the 314-00 tag is good for the general season antlerless. windy pass was one of the areas i was looking at hiking into. not worth it even in early rifle season? seemed like a good point to access that long ridge toward hylite.

yellowstone hot spring is on the list. last time i drove through to go a hot spring near yellowstone the river was to high.

been a great trip and successful.
the yankee jim campground is a good spot for accessing the south end of the unit. paradise is a good spot for when the wind isn’t to bad and very central to the few trailheads.

BC54F78C-6681-4878-B749-237D06BB2E6D.jpeg
BFEE252E-E41E-4EA5-9D27-90C62E6A10E9.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom