unit 33

there has got to be a reason the success rates are poor and the tags go to left overs. have never been to that area but would like to check it out.

What happenned to every unit in colorado has the potential to produces trophy bucks. The units that surround this unit are producing good bucks. Someone here has to have hunted this unit at least once.

Sure there are good bucks in every unit but not every unit has a great deer herd. There is a reason there is always left over tags for this unit.

Tough hunt to say the least. I felt like the best deer country in the unit was private and there may be leftover tags but they all get sold along with about 1.3 million OTC elk hunters.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I have hunted the unit twice and I think they give too many tags. I don't know anything about the surrounding units. Sure any unit in Colorado has potential but just not as much when its over hunted.

I am one of the what seems like 1000's of hunters that will buy a leftover cow tag for area 33.. While you can run into a cow - I dont even put 33 down as my 2nd choice for deer anymore. I just have not seen a buck that makes me want a deer tag even as a 2nd choice. If you can hunt private land you may have a chance at a good buck but on public there are very few mature bucks. That get pushed onto private as soon as the elk season starts.

If you love to hunt, you'll want a 33 deer tag. If you want a decent buck, look elsewhere. I have hunted 33 three years as a leftover/second choice so yeah, we got to go to Colorado and hunt! In 3 years I have seen exactly 4 Bucks, all 18-20 inch 140 class deer.

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

>If you love to hunt, you'll
>want a 33 deer tag.
>If you want a decent
>buck, look elsewhere. I have
>hunted 33 three years as
>a leftover/second choice so yeah,
>we got to go to
>Colorado and hunt! In 3
>years I have seen exactly
>4 Bucks, all 18-20 inch
>140 class deer.
>
>Ed
>
>If you ain't the lead dog,
>
>the view never changes

That is a great write up for the deer in 33.. I have hunted cow elk off and on in 33 since 1991 and you have summed up what I have seen perfectly.

I guess it depends where in 33 you're going to hunt it. Ton of deer in the areas I've been. I saw the two biggest bucks ever back in August of 2003 right after a summer rain storm.

was wondering about the people saying they saw very few deer? from the info i could find it has good numbers . not great buck to doe ratios but overall density was high .

I hunted 3rd season a few years ago and between two of us hunting 5 days we saw a total of about 10 deer and 1 dinky 4 point. I think that once the shooting starts in second season they head for the private property and you will have a difficult time finding much. Thats my 2 cents.

Fuzzy

I hunted this unit last year third season. Very low deer numbers on public land. There are a few deer on the private but not very many. And I honestly never seen a good buck even on the private land.

Hunted this area 2004-2007 and managed to get 2 24-25" 150 class bucks on public during the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Most of the locals that saw my bucks said they were pretty good ones for the area. Feel forunate to have gotten those and havn't been back since.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom