Unit 36 High Country

ruger1022

I cashed in my points this year, and drew a Unit 36 early rifle deer tag valid in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness. I was wondering if anybody had any experience hunting this unit in the past? I'm mainly interested in how the population is doing, how many deer I should expect to see in the high country, what caliber of bucks I should be looking for, etc. I'm going to try and get a scouting trip in before the hunt starts, and I plan on getting there a few days before opener. I would appreciate any tips anyone could provide about hunting the Colorado high country, as this will be my first crack at it.

31726065036_79bf4240ea_t.jpg

My current situation precludes me from caring about your opinion but go ahead and give voice to it anyway...

Its very pretty, very rough at the top, and bigger than it looks on paper, although you can only hunt half. Cover ground, a lot of it. then cover way more when you think you are tired. Straight line travel will be a problem, lots of up and back.

Last year they were pretty much moved out by the early rifle. Long hikes, rough trails, and hard to find parking spots at some trail heads. Pretty though tag. The only reason I can see demand for this tag is people working off of old information based on when the season was earlier and there were less non-hunters using the area.

The muzz hunt got pushed back to the second weekend of the early rifle this year, and the early rifle starts the 7th of September. With the snow we've received this year and less pressure, I'm hoping the deer will still be found up high. I understand the high country was pretty dry last year.

It's not the tag it used to be that's for sure. Most of the high country tags are that way. Be ready to cover a lot of country and deal with a lot of yuppies.

Coloradoboy

Good luck, be willing to work hard. There are bucks there, you just have to find them. I did 3 different 2 to 3 day trips before i found bucks, but once you do find them they are reasonably easy to pattern and hunt.
I have no idea if that week later will let the bucks make it into the timber...

Just remember to have fun an appreciate the beautiful country you will be in. You may see some goats and dont discount all the yuppies you will encounter. They will most likely respect you for hunting in the backcountry. They know its not easy out there.

I have no hotspots to share with you, sorry!

>How was the hunt?

Hunt was very tough but we were able to get a decent 3 pt. Saw more sheep and goats then we did deer, and even more people. There aren't a lot of deer in that country. Maybe saw 20 deer in 6 days of hunting. We hiked well over 25 miles, and had a total elevation gain and loss of 15,000 ft. Rough but beautiful country. Don?t know if I would hunt there again.

Ya that area has really slid the last 10 or so years. As soon as the later hunt dates kick in that will just about finish that region off. Too bad, some of the best genetics around. Unfortunately colorado?s Best days are behind it. The sad thing is they had a good thing going with the way they managed things, just needed a run of good winters to allow it all to come together. Unfortunately someone came up with the bright idea to push it all back a week, not good.

>Ya that area has really slid
>the last 10 or so
>years. As soon as the
>later hunt dates kick in
>that will just about finish
>that region off. Too bad,
>some of the best genetics
>around. Unfortunately colorado?s Best days
>are behind it. The sad
>thing is they had a
>good thing going with the
>way they managed things, just
>needed a run of good
>winters to allow it all
>to come together. Unfortunately someone
>came up with the bright
>idea to push it all
>back a week, not good.
>

I was a little surprised at the lack of deer in the area. We didn't see many does, and the ones we did see didn't have fawns with them. It was pretty hard to even find small bucks, but when we did they were 2 1/2 year old two and three points. I didn't see a 4 point the whole hunt. I'm not sure if there were more deer in the area earlier this summer, but there weren't many during the hunt. We covered a ton of country, and put a ton of miles on.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom