Unit 37 deer hunt

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I drew a unit 37 late rife deer hunt and was wondering if anyone on here knew of landowners in the unit that have a trespass fee or? I've been doing allot of searching on the interent and I have a general feeling of what to expect, but! Called Game and fish but the person I was suppose to talk to hung up before I could talk to them. Must have been too late for them. Any info is appreciated. I have a toyhauler, is a quad useful on this hunt or will my truck be sufficient. Speaking of the toyhauler, which areas will I be looking at?

Grew up hunting that unit, the ranchers there are not the friendly type,even when offered a fee. They have their own hunters paying big bucks for small bucks ???

Just got back from New mexico from my scouting trip. Spent my nights in Ruidoso. While there I really couldn't access Capitan mountain because it was closed to fire burns going on. I have the ON X on my phone which helps allot, but no where could I find ways to get back into the mountains. The Sacremento mountains look good, but I couldn't find access into it. Does anyone know where the access points are? I fould ways into the Jicarrill mtns but I believe it will be quite crowded. Help. Looking for info on how to access these areas. It was a very costly trip from where I live to this area.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-19 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-19 AT 10:18?AM (MST)

Get a Lincoln National Forest map, if you don't already have one.

The Jicarilla's are nice country, but the deer density was pretty low when I hunted there 10 years ago. It was also crowded.

There's a number of access roads into the Sacramentos, out of either White Rock or off Hwy 380. Not sure if I'd pull a trailer on some off those roads, though.

I like the Capitans, myself. Access is pretty good (aside from the burns). A quad would be useful just about anywhere in the unit, but a truck is fine.

67202capture.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-19 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]Thanks guardrail. When I went there for my scouting trip I had made it to that road but was told to leave by the fire crew since they were going to do something there.

Im just back from that area, I have seen some trail cam pics of bulls and a few bucks from a friend of mine, I accessed thru pvt property and was up on the mountain on the south and west face slopes , did not get all the way over to the top. It is very green and lush, water in the ponds, but it is starting to dry up as we head into August, saw deer near the top in old burn areas that have new growth. Used spotting scope early and late and saw some decent bucks, this area is good for 140-150 inch antlers but I think with the good conditions this past spring those guys should add 10 inches or so, in my opinion a 160 inch deer is a shooter a 180 inches is a whopper if you can find one.

The thing I saw that has me excited is the amount of acorns on the oak brush down low and on the slopes, they are loaded ! Keep an eye out on those oak brush patches on the slopes, pick a spot and scope them early and late, you just might find a tine tip sticking out of it !

Thanks for the info. Plan on getting down there a few days before season to check out entry points for access. I like to hike and spot.

Stay at the Smokey the Bear Motel in Capitan, you'll be in the unit and closer to access areas, also the Four Winds Motel in Carrizzo will get you closer to White Oaks and some good country.

Use your OnX App. and hit ALL the State Land sections in the unit that are accessible by a county/public road.

Barber Springs , Capitan Gap, Merchants Canyon... good starting points....Good Luck !

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom