unit 37 new mexico mule deer

Neckringer

A buddy and I got drawn for a rifle hunt in this unit. We are planning on getting away from the roads and staying a few nights in the backcountry. Im heading out there at the end of August to put my eyes on the area.
We are new to western big game hunting but have both turkey hunted numerous western states.

any suggestions?

I have tried looking up info about this unit and also trying to figure out what is a "good buck" in this unit???

A buddy and I got drawn for a rifle hunt in this unit. We are planning on getting away from the roads and staying a few nights in the backcountry. Im heading out there at the end of August to put my eyes on the area.
We are new to western big game hunting but have both turkey hunted numerous western states.

any suggestions?

I have tried looking up info about this unit and also trying to figure out what is a "good buck" in this unit???
Try the New Mexico site or Forum you may have better luck... Also it may have helped if you came on here for your first post and introduced yourself before you ask for help.
This happens a lot and the guys on here a close lipped unless you get to know them first. Then maybe you will get some help, also remember to come back on if you do get help and let everyone know how you did. So many ask for help and that is the last we hear from them.

hope this helps and Welcome aboard

thank you for the reply. I have tried writing this twice on my phone and it throws more hoops at me to jump through.
I spent 1000's of hours the last 20 years on forums. I really just dont have the computer time anymore.

just trying to figure out what a " good buck" or shooter is in this area.

Decent Unit, Have hunted it several times. If you think you are going to kill a monster you need to adjust your expectations. as far as good buck? I have seen 180 class bucks, once. but a decent 3 or small 4 is what is to be expected. The wilderness area is rough stuff, but it will hold the large bucks. If you are not physically prepared, i would advise against the wilderness area. Almost no water and very steep. What hunt do you have?

We have the 2nd gun hunt.
Studying the maps I have been concerned about the 2 issues you brought up. Mainly water as there looks to be none. Lol
We are both flatlanders but are in pretty decent shape.
Like I said I have never big game hunted out west but have chased turkeys all day at 7000+ feet and that told me every time I was out of shape.
Currently working out to prepare.
Planning on bucks being in places due to pressure. Was trying to focus on the more rugged stuff. Not even sure if it is doable. I am flying out there at end of august to get a reality check.
thank you

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom