Unit 37

ELKMAN

I am going to be that guy!

I put in for unit 37 muz as my third choice, because I liked the dates. Well, guess what? I wanted to try something different.

I know there are land issues etc, and I am heading down there in mid July.

If someone would like to say go EAST or WEST, I would like it.

Its a good unit , deer numbers have dropped in the last couple years it seems. My son has killed 3 deer on the muzzleloader hunt , its a very fun hunt but I won't blow smoke , its not at all a big buck unit . Yes there are exceptions , but the majority of bucks are just normal pencil horned 2x,3x,4x4 and 150 is mature . Make sure you have good tires, the forest roads are a bit chewy. Also where there's deer there's road hunters , just know plenty of them on SxS , trucks and atvs , and its still really warm and the buzz tails are defiantly out so be aware.Find water , within a mile or 3 you'll find deer....Shoot straight and keep your powder dry...

Its a good unit , deer numbers have dropped in the last couple years it seems. My son has killed 3 deer on the muzzleloader hunt , its a very fun hunt but I won't blow smoke , its not at all a big buck unit . Yes there are exceptions , but the majority of bucks are just normal pencil horned 2x,3x,4x4 and 150 is mature . Make sure you have good tires, the forest roads are a bit chewy. Also where there's deer there's road hunters , just know plenty of them on SxS , trucks and atvs , and its still really warm and the buzz tails are defiantly out so be aware.Find water , within a mile or 3 you'll find deer....Shoot straight and keep your powder dry...
Thanks Rio. I really appreciate all your knowledge on this site.

I am an idiot. It is the oct muz bull hunt. Maybe that would of helped, in my post!

I was getting ready to send you deer info but can't help on elk. I guess I will PM you where not go in that unit because I never see elk.

I have never hunted 37 or I would tell you. I do know some great bulls are taken there every year though. I bet someone chimes in.

Not as many elk as the neighboring units but chances of finding a big boy are still good. It’s pretty rough country so make sure you are in shape to hike some miles. Lots of camping or there is a little hotel in Capitan that has a couple of places to eat right next to it.

Jason Carter whacked a monster there while driving from one glassing spot to another if I remember correctly. I think it was a Muzzle loader hunt also.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom