Unit 38 Elk

W

Wyo_Horn_Hntr

After an unsuccessful attempt last year I drew 38-9 the archery only tag around the Burgess Junction area in the Bighorns. This will be my first year hunting up there for elk. I grew up camping up in there in the summers, but never had the opportunity to hunt being I lived in Montana. Just wanted to see if anybody had had suggestions or advice for the area such as when the rut peaks, hunting pressure, places to avoid, anything that could help, or just any experiences others have had up there. Thanks!

Congratulations on the tag! I happened to draw the tag too, but am a resident. The hunting pressure is there with the 250 elk hunters and who knows how many deers hunters, along with grouse hunters. The best is to find a place off the road aways and pack in for your hunt. One thing is that there are plenty of elk and is a big area, so you should have a good hunt.

I am actually a Wyoming resident now, going on two years, just haven't had the opportunity to hunt up there yet. Looking forward to getting up there and doing some scouting.

Yeah, getting tougher to draw each year for the areas on the Big Horns! You from around the sheridan area, that is where I am from. You will have a good hunt ussually the second and third week are the peak of the rut, but weather kind of dictates that also.

I wish I could give you first hand hunting experience.

Pretty country. Camped in Burgess Junction area in June and did a trail run up there. As general advice, plenty of moisture. They are working on the road between Dayton and BJ if you are coming in from the east, so prepare for delays.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom