Unit 38 rifle bull

1Bigbull

My little brother drew the rifle bull tag in 38 this year. Was wondering if anyone had any advise or insight on the unit. It opens on Oct. 15th. We were planning on heading out 4 or 5 days early to try and scout right before the hunt. Any starting points would be greatly appreciated. Would love to know what type of bull to expect also. It's our maiden voyage in the bighorns.

That unit will come alive with headlights on opening morning. I hunted it a few years ago and almost packed up and left when I looked out the camper and saw all the traffic up in the mountain roads. Deer season started that day too. My advise for the first week, get as far away from the crowd as you can.

Keep in mind a chunk of the elk move dramatically from where they currently are now and the first of the archery season to where they are during rifle season. There is always the chance for deep snow in October and that can dramatically change which areas you can likely access up high. Also, some of the roads turn to gumbo when wet.

38 is a type 9 archery elk unit so virtually everyone that draws those tags archery hunts. As mentioned above, you better be ready to get off the beaten path because the majority of elk get pushed into nasty, deep places or private land by the time rifle season starts.

It really depends upon the area. Some of the old logging roads have been gated off and don't allow ATV or motor vehicle access.

Keep the atv legal and stay on the marked roads.
Some parts of the NF allow off road up to 100 yds for game retrieval.

Saw a you tube video of opening morning rifle and the traffic in the bighorns....the hunt showed elk running around. Looked like a shoot not a hunt. No thanks.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom