Unit 39 "B" Elk

NPHunter

Hey guys. I've been hunting the late ID deer hunt for a couple years now and next year I am planning on doing the 39-3 hunt if I draw or the "B" tag elk hunt. I am trying to find a elk hunt where we can do it every year and find decent bulls too, I am trying to find a place to bring my boys in a couple years when they are old enough to hunt elk. My oldest is 10 and will be 11 this summer so he should be able to join in 2018. Here at home in NE OR they will only have a chance to Rifle hunt for branch bulls a couple times before they are adults (besides archery)

I grew up hunting out of an elk camp every year with my dad and grandparents here in North East Oregon and unfortantly here in Oregon the only thing we can do yearly is otc spike or apply for cow tags which would make it to where we could never draw branch bull tags.

Any advice on areas to check out, tips or tactics would be very much appreciated. We have been hunting elk for a long time here in Oregon and have done well but the last 10 years or so we haven't set up elk camp but two times and my boys have never been. This is something I loved growing up and want to be able to carry on the tradition for my kids.

I have spent some of my time up cottonwood backpacking or out by mountain home 39-3, only me and my buddy are going to come this year to check it out. I plan on staying one week hunting elk and then staying for the first week of late archery. I am not opposed to doing a different elk hunt in late Oct. or Early Nov. either but it seems like there is plenty of opportunity for decent bulls in 39 if a person works for it.

Thanks, Curtis

While I don't publicly post on areas, nor do I PM things like drainages, but I've hunted 39 8 of the last 12 years and I agree on there being bulls if you work. Big bulls is more debatable, but I'll leave that be.

I will say that you can't scout as well for Nov hunts. Too often the elk migrate, so the best way to learn is during Nov.

I will also say that I do think there are healthy elk herds From Riggins all the way down through the central mountains and any OTC hunt in these areas have the same potential to be hunted annually if you learn them.

Not sure I know anyone who successfully and regularly hunts that late archery in 39, but I'm not an archer and maybe some really like it, but I would not generally recommend it from my experience as I think stalking close when their herded up and right after rifle pressure I would think would be hard.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. By looking at IDFW site it looks like the herds are healthy. I am not looking for a monster bull just a older mature animal.

Your right about deer being hard to stalk. I have never hunted more skittish deer in my life than on that late hunt. I love it though and it's another chance to be in the woods with a tag in my pocket.

Quick over view of the unit. It's the heaviest hunted unit in Idaho. Yes, there are elk, and yes there are a few mature Bulls. The deer hunters really push the elk back into holes prior to the season. I live in the unit, have elk on my property 10 months of the year, and still have not killed a mature bull in the unit, it's the typical small 5 or 6 point bulls that get harvested. Since the season is short, all the hunters are packed in for the entire season. A lot of the "better" trail heads have 6-10 horse trailers, which creates a war zone.

Sorry for being negative, it can be a really frustrating hunt IMO. But, there are a lot of elk, just ALOT of hunters as well. I think we spoke about 20a, 39 is just as rugged, if not more. Send me a PM if you want.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom