Unit 39 Mule Deer

W

weak66

This year is going to be my first deer hunt. I am from Ohio and the land out here is much different than in Ohio. My buddies used to sit up in a tree overlooking a field and just wait till the deer walked by. I was looking at the area where I will be hunting this fall and wow what a difference. I'm not looking for anyone's spot, just some advice to help me make the transition from sit in a tree and watch the field to the Idaho sport. But hey, if you want to hook me up with a spot you used to hunt and moved on to bigger and better bucks, it would be much appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting!

-Lars

I'm not an expert on the unit, but if I were hunting it I would find the most rugged and remote parts of it and start there. That unit gets a LOT of pressure. I think the biggest thing you will have to be ready fo is how physically demanding it will be if you want to hunt it right, especially compared to hunting in a treestand.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-07 AT 10:10PM (MST)[p]I'll second what IDdeserman said about being in shape. If you can't climb what we call "hills" then your chance of putting a tag on a decent buck are going to be greatly reduced. The real work will begin after the buck is down. If you aren't in shape, you will be wasting the money buying the tag IMO.
Knowing how to use binoculars and a spotting scope effectively and shooting longer ranges mightalso be something you need to consider. Also be prepared for the weather. In October a foot or more of snow can be dumped by a storm in the higher elevations.
This year has been very dry. Areas with water will have much higher concentrations of deer in October unless we get some rain or snow before your hunt.
Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom