Unit 4 Deer

505Hunter

Afternoon fellow MM'ers,

I skunked out this year, again, sadly. But everyone's posts keeps me thriving at home.

Fortunately, my dad drew out with some coworkers for unit 4 private land deer. My question is, the hunt code he has is not listed in the proclamation, and it is kind of unclear on how it works for that area.

Since most of unit 4 is private land, does that mean the hunt he has is good only for the land in which the landowner he applied with owns? Or is it good for the entire area of unit 4 - assuming landowners in the area don't post signs? When we went up to visit, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of fences in the area we were in, however the lots of land for sale up there were showing up on OnX as being owned by someone.

The proclamation just says hunters wishing to hunt in unit 4 must have a authorization code and hunt code, which we have from the landowner. But nothing else about private property out there.

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

Elk hunting in Unit 4 however, is allowable (Legal) on any another ranch Within the unit IF you have permission from the respective landowner(s).

To apply for a unit 4 private land deer tag someone had to get the authorization code and hunt code from a private land owner. An is only good on private land with permission. Page 47 or the proclamation.
Thanks for the reply. That landowner in unit 4 put in for the hunt, and my dad attached to it.

I read page 47, and it was unclear whether or not private land tags were centralized to just the landowners property, or if you had a private land tag for unit 4 in general it applied to the entirety of unit excluding the property that explicitly has signs posted.

We should be finding out more information from the landowner later this week so that should help clarify things also. To me, it seems like the verbiage states as long as you draw unit 4 via a private land owner tag, you have access to the unit as a whole - because later on in that page where the public draw section is, it says that private land tags in any unit (except 2A-C, 4 and 5A) require written permission.

505, FYI. Just followed up with one of the “premiere experts” in Unit 4 regarding your question. The answer is yes for Unit 4 IF permission is granted. I would obviously follow up with G and F to confirm but for now, that should provide some solace going forward. Good luck!

Toklat,
Thanks for the insight. We’re gonna talk with the landowner this weekend and get some more info. G&F should make it a little more clear in their proclamation. I’ve always gone by the notion of private is private and you need permission, but it didn’t explicitly say that.. better to err on the side of caution lol.

Hello 505. Were you able to determine the private/public deer hunting permission issue resolved with the landowner?

Good luck. Post up some pictures.

I thought in that part of the state people just hunted anywhere they pleased (with or without a tag). I was on a hunt on private property in Unit 4 many years ago and some random dude walked up with an AK47. Said he was looking for deer.

Private is private irregardless of unit or state and should be respected as such. Unfortunately, these instances are not limited just to NM!

Very true, but some areas are abused more than others. NM does not have enough game wardens.

The main problem with (northern) NM is trespassing and poaching is passed on to the new generations from older family members. They think it is their right to what they want, but never think of the limited resource they are destroying. More wardens will help, BUT until we change the poaching culture nothing will change.... Sad.

Hello 505. Were you able to determine the private/public deer hunting permission issue resolved with the landowner?

Good luck. Post up some pictures.
Toklat,
Due to schedules and work we haven’t had a chance yet. Hoping this weekend to confirm and get details.
With that being said, our friend who is the landowner went up and got pictures from his game cam, there are some promising bucks passing by.

Very good. You should have a good hunt. Hopefully the property is one of the better ones in the Chama area irregardless, Unit 4 still has great potential and genetics.

Very good. You should have a good hunt. Hopefully the property is one of the better ones in the Chama area irregardless, Unit 4 still has great potential and genetics.
Found out that the landowner has permission to hunt the surrounding landowners properties. Unsure of what extent that is. But that does widen up the scope of which we can hunt on drastically.
Next weekend can’t come soon enough, and I’m not even hunting! Lol.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. We did end up hunting but we had to cut it short due to the massive 3ft snow storm that came rolling through.

We were unsuccessful, unfortunately, but loved being out there. Saw a ton of beautiful country. We did manage to find does consistently, but couldn’t ever find the bucks. We knew they were there because every morning we’d hear them out from our camp, and we have them on camera, but just couldn’t locate them during the day.

We did manage to see a ton of elk also, and a very beautiful 6x6 bull.

Needless to say, we will likely be out there next year thanks to the landowner!

Seems to be the story in most cases this year! Bucks especially bigger bucks not moving til dark and bedding with the rising sun! I don’t think it being 80 degrees on November 19th helps much with this ??
I really regret putting down my bow this year and picking up a rifle! My brother and his girlfriend were in 16 for the first season and they did pass on some bucks one being a respectable 10 point. Weird year fellas! I am lucky enough to be guiding for an EXCELLENT January archery hunt so I get to see some good ones!

505, thanks for the update. Hoping you would have had a better outcome. As Bugle stated, the warm temps did not help but that’s hunting and you at a minimum we’re able to be out there!

Seems to be the story in most cases this year! Bucks especially bigger bucks not moving til dark and bedding with the rising sun! I don’t think it being 80 degrees on November 19th helps much with this ??
I really regret putting down my bow this year and picking up a rifle! My brother and his girlfriend were in 16 for the first season and they did pass on some bucks one being a respectable 10 point. Weird year fellas! I am lucky enough to be guiding for an EXCELLENT January archery hunt so I get to see some good ones!
Yeah, it’s been an odd one for every animal it seems like. But I guess that’s how hunting goes right! I’m just grateful to be out there and enjoying a passion with friends and family!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom