Unit 40 big bucks

Shootet1735

anyone seeing any big bucks in unit 40 so far this year? I got the late tag and haven't seen much. The reports I'm hearing from elk and two point hunters isn't sounding too good either..

Good luck with that Big Buck tag dont pass a 170 IF you LUCK out & see one !! Another unit our wonderful Idaho Fish & NO GAME have Ruined !! Pretty Bad when they cant hardly find a Forkie to shoot from the road !!

Toy pass, antelope ridge and reynolds creek. Haven't seen much of what I thought I would see. I know it's early but haven't heard anything good yet from other hunters either.

I trap & hunt yotes all over 40 & have for over 20 years the deer population in this unit along with 41 & 42 is Pathetic !!! 10 years back we would see on the average around a 1000 deer a day while checking traps from Oct thru Feb, last 3 years we are lucky to see 100 . I ran into the Fish TARTS down there 3 years ago trying to net & tag deer for their survey. I asked what they were trying to figure out !!!! WAIT FOR IT !!!! they were trying to determine what was causing the reduction in deer #s !!!!! I told them to recommend doing away with the Open forkie season for starters. NOW here is what they told me last year after having 2 years of research info THEIR FINAL RULING FOR THE LOSS OF ANIMALS IN UNIT 40 WAS DUE TO ...... STRESS ON THE DOES !!! And that is NO BULL $HIT !!!!

I know unit 40 has wolves, I seen a lone black female a couple years back when I had the tag. I probably won't be lucky enough to ever draw the tag again, thats why I help others.

2pt hunt has been around forever. 8yrs ago was prime. Doesn’t add up.

Seems that fire did not help. I chukar hunt the west side, and it’s hardly grown back.

I trap & hunt yotes all over 40 & have for over 20 years the deer population in this unit along with 41 & 42 is Pathetic !!! 10 years back we would see on the average around a 1000 deer a day while checking traps from Oct thru Feb, last 3 years we are lucky to see 100 . I ran into the Fish TARTS down there 3 years ago trying to net & tag deer for their survey. I asked what they were trying to figure out !!!! WAIT FOR IT !!!! they were trying to determine what was causing the reduction in deer #s !!!!! I told them to recommend doing away with the Open forkie season for starters. NOW here is what they told me last year after having 2 years of research info THEIR FINAL RULING FOR THE LOSS OF ANIMALS IN UNIT 40 WAS DUE TO ...... STRESS ON THE DOES !!! And that is NO BULL $HIT !!!!
I pulled the unit 40 tag this year and would love some info is there a way I could get in touch with you?. I’m from northern idaho so haven’t got down to scout yet

I was in there for a week last year, helping 2 guys with tags. We saw good numbers of deer (Nowhere near 1000 though). We never saw a buck that hit 160. The guys were definitely disappointed in the quality, as the Idaho guys warned me of, before hand.

I know there are a few big bucks that get taken in there, but we didn’t see anything good at all.

Hey thanks for your response!.. I have been hearing the same unfortunately. I guess I’ll just have to put in the time and see what I can find.

I was in there for a week last year, helping 2 guys with tags. We saw good numbers of deer (Nowhere near 1000 though). We never saw a buck that hit 160. The guys were definitely disappointed in the quality, as the Idaho guys warned me of, before hand.

I know there are a few big bucks that get taken in there, but we didn’t see anything good at all.
I can echo this. Had the tag two years ago. Tons of deer and a lot of rut activity. Seemed like we saw the same 24" 4pt around every corner. Was a fun hunt though.

IMG_9093.jpg

Sometimes that can be your key, find them in the farmers fields and get up behind the fields before daylight and wait for them to come out. Reynolds creek is a good one for that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom