Unit 40 elk outfitter

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I’m looking at cashing in my points this year for elk in 40 and will go with an outfitter. Currently looking at Biggerstaff and really leaning towards this hunt. Considering archery or 3rd rifle - I’m still torn there. Archery in the rut would be fun, but wonder if my harvest odds aren’t much better with rifle. Any thoughts here on outfitters and seasons?

Trophy Class Outfitters. Great hunt with great guides. I've hunted with them several times and always see a few 340-360 Bulls.

Your odds will usually be better with a rifle than a bow but the bigger bulls in Unit 40 are usually taken in the earlier seasons, archery, muzzleloader and first rifle.

I don't know anything about Biggerstaff but I have hunted twice(once for deer and once for elk) with Mike Lawson and he is a first rate outfitter. But he is booked two years out on some hunts.

With third season being later this year that is good for deer hunting but probably bad for elk hunting.

You should talk to Biggerstaff on what he thinks for season. I was in 40 during rifle season a couple years ago and met him. We were deer hunting and watching a big bull his client shot. Seemed like a good guy. From the looks of his web site it looks like a lot more big bulls shot with a rifle. We had no problem seeing good bulls on his private land during that time and I think both his clients while we were there shot bulls in one day.

I hunted 3rd season Elk in unit 40 a couple years ago. I had points and went DIY public land. If you have the points, I'd go archery (if you can find an outfitter that isn't booked already). That's just my opinion because the season is later this year and you'll have the benefits of a guide and private land. I scouted and hunted hard. Found bulls on public before season and watched guys on horses push them onto private right before the hunt, couldn't believe it while I was watching. I'm sure you can guess how I felt. I ended up passing a 5x5 and smaller bulls. Came back home with a tag. Good luck if you go.

Timbuk2, I saw the same thing quite a few years ago watching a guy with horses push elk onto private the day before season. I wonder if it's a coincidence! It really riled me up at the time! I got a bull a few days later but they certainly spooked the bulls!

I saw the same thing during the archery hunts back in 2003. Seems like they use horses to push elk every year and the have been doing that a long time.

I'm trying to decide if Unit 40 is a good use of my 9 preference points, 3rd season deer tag. I would be DIY all on public. Either that or head Gunnison direction or 21 or 22 and hunt a second season tag. Decisions, decisions.

I have not tried the 3rd season deer tag. I have thought about it because there is a lot of great deer county that is hard to reach public. The FS land up top gets most of the elk pushed off early. We had a house early snow storm in September... over a foot. We hunted a week before the storm and three days after. We never cut a fresh track in the snow. We moved to hard to reach public and got into decent elk but...none on the FS after the horses. I did see a few great deer and several bear.

I'm trying to decide if Unit 40 is a good use of my 9 preference points, 3rd season deer tag. I would be DIY all on public. Either that or head Gunnison direction or 21 or 22 and hunt a second season tag. Decisions, decisions.
DihardHunter
Have 9 points as well and I was thinking the exact same thing!! Although I’m leaning towards 40. I’ve hunted the Dolores triangle before and have seen some dandies. Hoping for the same thing in 40. I’m just concerned about all the private. I don’t mind putting on my hiking boots, but how easy is it to access the public ?

Last edited:
Not easy, which in my opinion, can and has made for great hunting in other units I've had tags in. Means a lot of boot leather though.

I hunted 40 this last year outfitter went 4 for 4 on bulls all public land hunted 4 season it's a tuff hunt but I would go again with him. Can pm me for more info I talked to all above outfitters listed most will be booked and all are to pricey for me, out of the points game in Colorado for good don't keep waiting it'e getting worse every year.

Jims, Utah400Elk, it's amazing that guides or landowners are getting away with that. It was such a disappointment for me after waiting all those years getting NR points. I took a picture of the bull tracks they pushed out... not cool. If I ever see that again, I'll be getting the license plate number on the horse. I'm really glad you got a bull Jims. I had a ton of fun on the hunt, got to know the unit and had a great time with my dad. I also felt a little better going home with a tag, knowing a have a monster bull on the wall already :)

For the other guys on here looking at deer 3rd season, I hunt very hard and only saw a couple that I'd be happy with (and no monsters). Private land is everywhere. I also have a pile of deer points, but I'm not using them in 40. I have a friend who's hunted 21 2nd several times and he's shown me some dandy bucks that he's got with his dad. I'd probably lean that way this year with the later season.

I Know I'm late getting in on this . I used 15 pts last year 2020 hunted public land in unit 40 late season rifle #4 either sex with KEYS OUTFITTERS. Great outfitter took a honest 300in. 5X6 the first day they got me within 75yrd. had one with him would have been close to 320 but had one side broke off. Joe , runs a great hunt ,camp is comfortable , food is killer, guides are awesome. it cost 6750.00 If you get drawn call him you won't be disappointed.

A popular hunting magazine states even outfitters on private land are having a hard time coming up with a 340 bull. Biggerstaff’s IG acct somewhat confirms that. TCO likely has one of the worst website I have ever seen with trophy photos that are equally as bad. So 20 years of points and 7.5k+ can’t get a guy a legit crack at a 350 bull now, I guess it is a 40 year wait for that type of bull??

Hunted it last year and saw numerous bulls, but only a couple of them were anything decent, say in the 330+ class. The bull that I arrowed grossed up in the 340's and officially netted 335 and change. Hunted both private and public, but killed on public. Unfortunately I have little info to share, as my son has the points to draw and he'll be going next. There were some good bulls killed in the unit. Even though quality reports are up and down, it's always going to be one of the best units in the state to draw, due to the overwhelming amount of private land, and the overall management strategy.

Joe Keys, told me before I booked He had gotten one 340 in bull in unit 40 in 23yrs. of guiding it. He said 300 bulls are not comin anywhere in Colorado ,take Joe for his word. After hunting his camp real honest fellow. The bull I took was a 5x5 with a sticker on one side made him a 5x6 he has 48in mains 22in whales tails and mass for days . I'm a sucker for big 8pt. whitetails and this 300in. 5x5 bull was like shooting a 160in. 8pt to me. The guides did watch 6x6 they thought would go 320 or a little bigger on private land for 3 days before the hunt but the weather was so good last year in 4th season it kept getting farther into private land. I've done about 13 guided hunts in my life and most of the guides tape measures read larger than the truth. and there advertisements are false. Had a moose guide in Alberta try and convince me I had a 50bull on the ground, until I held my 48in. rifle up to it and showed him the rack needed 10 more inches. From running elk herds back onto private land, to stretching the rack size Its all about the money for most of them, and once they have yours, they just want you to shoot and make room for the next pile of money. I did have three honest outfitters out of the 13 and KEYS was one.

I'll add another vote for Mike Lawson. I hunted archery with him once and it was a good hunt. My guide said lots of 300 to 315 bulls with a few bigger but 340+ was tough. I'd say that was an accurate assessment. Prices are to high for me now but if you got the $$ I'd go with him.

Lawson is typically booked out years in advance. Biggerstaff would be a good option. If you’re willing to willing to grind the late rifle hunts are the best option in my opinion for DIY when the elk move off the top towards winter range. However you can’t be afraid of a difficult pack out.
DF211218-D5F2-461F-9DD0-6EE158A39BEE.jpeg
C735BE09-8AE5-4B49-95BD-A671610F4801.jpeg

What I seen on my 2nd season hunt last year in 40 was that if you are willing to work you butt off and do some hiking you should not have a problem finding something 300”+. I hunted it DIY on public land and seen some awesome bulls. Passed on a 320” bull on opening morning because he had a broken 5th on one side. Ended up killing this bull on the 3rd day of season. He goes 338” and has several inches of broken tine tips which would have put him safely into the 340’s if he wasn’t broke.
6D7F9EAB-8FA4-455D-AF25-F9A00A420EE3.jpeg

0E4AC879-01AF-4D7B-B8AD-2ABAD19360BA.jpeg

One Great Bull congratulations , I do agree with the DIY hunts being the most rewarding. Guided hunts public land for me seem to be the next best challenge. Private land guided hunts seem almost canned anymore ,to much control of the herds. 40 is a great unit just make sure you Know the property lines.

Joe Keys, told me before I booked He had gotten one 340 in bull in unit 40 in 23yrs. of guiding it. He said 300 bulls are not comin anywhere in Colorado ,take Joe for his word. After hunting his camp real honest fellow. The bull I took was a 5x5 with a sticker on one side made him a 5x6 he has 48in mains 22in whales tails and mass for days . I'm a sucker for big 8pt. whitetails and this 300in. 5x5 bull was like shooting a 160in. 8pt to me. The guides did watch 6x6 they thought would go 320 or a little bigger on private land for 3 days before the hunt but the weather was so good last year in 4th season it kept getting farther into private land. I've done about 13 guided hunts in my life and most of the guides tape measures read larger than the truth. and there advertisements are false. Had a moose guide in Alberta try and convince me I had a 50bull on the ground, until I held my 48in. rifle up to it and showed him the rack needed 10 more inches. From running elk herds back onto private land, to stretching the rack size Its all about the money for most of them, and once they have yours, they just want you to shoot and make room for the next pile of money. I did have three honest outfitters out of the 13 and KEYS was one.
You are finding guides/outfitters like I’ve found in
last 40 years of hunting- what a snake ? pit it
is- New Mexico being the worst by far. I’ve had several great guides, but OMG disasters are the rule of the day. I’ve been avoiding hiring them last number of years for not wanting to experience more disasters- no matter how well you check out the references, you never ? know until you show up & plunk down $$$$$
— better odds in Vegas most times.
Sad but true. Ugh. Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado.

I know right , there has been several times I didn't get an animal or even see a good one, and had a great hunt because of the effort the outfitter and his guides gave. Just don't give me these great expectations and soon as I reach camp tell me 10 things that are going to make that hunt harder or impossible, or a reason I should lower my goal of the size animal to harvest. Put out some effort for My time and money. My Dad use to say "don't piss on my boot and tell me it's raining" Hard to find good honest outfitters, That's why I mentioned Keys, the good ones should be acknowledged.

A +20 year wait for a unicorn 340 bull and a likely 310-320 bull is ludicrous. The genetics are there, sounds like too many bulls are getting shot before they reach maturity. I guess it will be a 40+ year wait for the NW corner units for me. Crazy.

A +20 year wait for a unicorn 340 bull and a likely 310-320 bull is ludicrous. The genetics are there, sounds like too many bulls are getting shot before they reach maturity. I guess it will be a 40+ year wait for the NW corner units for me. Crazy.
Probably applying for the wrong state if your goal is 340 plus. It can be done, but 40 and 61 would be the higher end of the bulls. Even NW corner is no guarantee of a 350 bull.

The moisture has a lot to do with rack size, and the west side of Colorado has seen a lot of dry times here lately. If your young enough to handle the challenge at a later time , I say hold out, build points. Other than maybe Arizona I don't think 350in. bulls are common on public land any place. One of my guides last year in Colorado also guides Arizona public land , said he has guided clients to 8 350in bulls in his time of guiding ( he was only in his 20's, time guiding could not have been long)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom