Unit 40 elk

t_boneking

I have pretty much decided to burn my 19 non-resident elk points and try to draw this unit. I’m looking at third season. I’ve had some friends draw this tag and have a good idea of where to start. I’m just looking to have a fun hunt and use my points the best way possible.
I have two questions, it looks like this unit and season took a big jump in points last year. Do you think I’ll draw with 19 points?
Next, with these points are there any other units I should be looking at?
Thanks in advance!

Personally I think 40 has more big bulls in the state that being said it’s mostly private
It can be a good hunt on public but if this is a oil tag I would hire mike Lawson
Just saying

Personally I think 40 has more big bulls in the state that being said it’s mostly private
It can be a good hunt on public but if this is a oil tag I would hire mike Lawson
Just saying
Thanks for the heads up. I’d love to hire a guide but finances won’t allow it. So if I draw I’ll just roll the dice and hunt public. I live close enough that I’ll be able to do some scouting in November before the hunt starts.

Last year one person drew with 17 PP and for the rest it took 18 PP. So you will be right on the edge on whether you can draw. I drew this tag in 2015 and it took 10 PP then. I think people that have been point chasing first rifle or muzzleloader have decided to cash in and that's the reason for the point jump.

As stated before a lot of 40 is private land. But a lot of elk are killed on public land also. The trick will be finding land with elk on it.

I hunted elk there in 2015 and hunted deer in 2019. Both years the elk were up high (8,000 ft). Third season is a couple weeks later now but I would still expect the elk to be up high.

I hunted with an outfitter (Mike Lawson) on private so I can't help you with the public land.

I haven't hunted them but a couple of other units to look at would 49, muzzleloader or first rifle. Unit 76, first rifle. A lot of public land on both of those.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into those other units as well. I’m guessing I’ll just roll the dice and see what happens in unit 40 this year. I really just want to go hunting this year, and I don’t have to kill the biggest bull on the mountain.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom