Unit 40 info, 4th choice

nmff22

Hola brothers and sistas,

I put my son in for 4th choice for his deer tag. G & F gave him unit 40 muzzy. I got 36 rifle woo hoo. Anyone got info on unit 40? Sorry I really don't know any info on this unit. As G & F gave it to him as a 4th choice. If not its cool. I did see there is a lot of private and I do plan to scout on what we can hunt on. I am glad he got drawn though. Thanks and congrats to those who drew.

Jesse C

Hola brothers and sistas,

I put my son in for 4th choice for his deer tag. G & F gave him unit 40 muzzy. I got 36 rifle woo hoo. Anyone got info on unit 40? Sorry I really don't know any info on this unit. As G & F gave it to him as a 4th choice. If not its cool. I did see there is a lot of private and I do plan to scout on what we can hunt on. I am glad he got drawn though. Thanks and congrats to those who drew.

Jesse C

Going to be a challenge. There are some positive aspects though. 1. Being that it is a youth hunting, you may have luck knocking on doors and asking for permission to hunt. 2. You may still find bachelor herds of bucks depending on how early the hunt is. 3. He gets to go hunting. Any buck taken after a hard hunt is a great memory. Go have fun.

DayMan

Heck yeah Dan. At least he got a tag. Plus it's a general hint not youth witch is weird but they gave him his 4th choice we will take it.

4th choices are leftover hunts after the draw and before they're posted for general sale to the public.

They don't follow the hunt codes of the other 3 choices.

Heck yeah Dan. At least he got a tag. Plus it's a general hint not youth witch is weird but they gave him his 4th choice we will take it.
I think 4th choice is like drawing a ticket from a hat. Like the leftover prizes at a banquet when the grand prize has been already given away. You've won a 3XL jacket! Knock on doors, maybe haul some green chile over and see what you can get on.

DayMan

Unit 40 holds good deer. I suggest trying to spend some time prior to the hunt learning where all the public land is. It’s a lot of checkerboard property.

4th choices are leftover hunts after the draw and before they're posted for general sale to the public.

They don't follow the hunt codes of the other 3 choices.
No they don't but at least he gets to hunt. We scored last year in unit15 muzzleloader leftover youth tag. I'm sure if we knock on some doors some will say yes.

I think 4th choice is like drawing a ticket from a hat. Like the leftover prizes at a banquet when the grand prize has been already given away. You've won a 3XL jacket! Knock on doors, maybe haul some green chile over and see what you can get on.

DayMan

Ha ha we have done that for my antelope hunt in 32 now good friends with the rancher, you have to go around and shake hands and shake babies to get a yes!!!!!!! We do take the ranch hand some meat and the hottest chili we grow. A jacket is better then nothing lol

When you apply for a 4th choice you pick a quadrant of the state, NE, NW, SE, or SW. The fourth choice hunt will be the same weapon type as your first choice.

What? I never heard of this it has the hunt code of muzzleloader DER-3-342 where does it say this?

Unit 40 holds good deer. I suggest trying to spend some time prior to the hunt learning where all the public land is. It’s a lot of checkerboard property.

Yeah it only has 1 bow hunt with 15 tags during that hunt then it's his hunt with 25 muzzy tags. So minimal hunting pressure. I'm sure there are big daddies there. Just a new area that's all.

Never hunted 40 however I have hunted 39 and I seen deer in unit 40 near Fort Sumner. Looks like there is a good piece of public land in that area. I suggest you get OnX maps it’s a very powerful tool.

6C89B323-7DE3-470C-840D-2D78556A94A6.jpeg

What? I never heard of this it has the hunt code of muzzleloader DER-3-342 where does it say this?
It's written in the big game rules on page 46. Now I don't know if it works differently for youth hunters.

OnX maps should be very useful for that unit.

Id call the game warden for the area, as he is out patrolling the area.They are generally a great option for a point on the right direction and my experience is they want the youth hunters to have a great hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom