Unit 40 or 61 1st rifle?

scpaisley

I have 16pp, resident, and according to draw odds I can probably get a 1st rifle tag for either one. I've thought about going 40 with an outfitter like Trophy Class or hunting 61 without an outfitter. In looking into it the biggest thing I see is that it basically boils down to more bulls in 61 but bigger bulls in 40. I'm also debating holding out a few more years (pending point creep) and going for early rifle in 61. I am considering archery as well, but leaning more rifle. Just thought I would see what y'all think.

I've hunted 61 three times with an outfitter who also guides in 40.

I'd never choose 61 over 40. Sooner or later I'll score a 40 voucher but so far no dice.

Trophy class is booked out till roughly 2025. There are a lot of guys on here whom hunt or have hunted 61 and they see some amazing animals without a guide.

From all information I've found and scouting Ive done, the only major difference between the two units is the amount of public and private. unit 61 is rough thick country, but it holds a ton of animals and some really nice sized animals too. Unit 40, youre going to have to (pay to play) if you hope to have the same quality of hunt.

Trophy class is booked out till roughly 2025. There are a lot of guys on here whom hunt or have hunted 61 and they see some amazing animals without a guide.

From all information I've found and scouting Ive done, the only major difference between the two units is the amount of public and private. unit 61 is rough thick country, but it holds a ton of animals and some really nice sized animals too. Unit 40, youre going to have to (pay to play) if you hope to have the same quality of hunt.
Thats good to know on them being booked out. Changes things. I'm not sure how many more years I'll be able to go at it hard with my back giving me fits. I don't mind paying to play, but really would want a partner to help spot. I keep hearing 350 size animals in 40 and 300 size in 61. I have heard 40 is very limited on public space. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I've hunted 61 three times with an outfitter who also guides in 40.

I'd never choose 61 over 40. Sooner or later I'll score a 40 voucher but so far no dice.
Why would you choose 40 over 61? Would you do on outfitter in 40 or public land hunt?

40 is like.....90% private. Yes there is a lot higher number of bigger bulls I'm 40. 61 has those bigger bulls too, but you just have to be willing to weed through all those 300" bulls to find those good ones. If they comment, speak to some of the older guys about 61, and just look up both units in the search bar and you will find a plethora of information about each.

Both have their pros and cons. Best of luck.

I’ve been in both a fair bit.

If you are looking for an opportunity at the biggest bulls possible (330+ ), I’d say go guided in 40, hands down. I wouldn’t get your heart set on a 350 Bull no matter which tag you decide on, although both units can produce them.

If you want more public land than you can possibly explore, and want to do it on your own, then 61, although realistically a 280-320 type bull is much more common. There are great outfitters in 61 as well. Garvey and Allout very reputable.

Why would you choose 40 over 61? Would you do on outfitter in 40 or public land hunt?
access is more of an issue in 40 (lots of private land) but the quality/ age structure is much, much better than 61 and the cost/availability of vouchers reflects that (40 is 30% higher $$ and much harder to come by)

access is more of an issue in 40 (lots of private land) but the quality/ age structure is much, much better than 61 and the cost/availability of vouchers reflects that (40 is 30% higher $$ and much harder to come by)
Thanks Utah, much appreciated.

Thats good to know on them being booked out. Changes things. I'm not sure how many more years I'll be able to go at it hard with my back giving me fits. I don't mind paying to play, but really would want a partner to help spot. I keep hearing 350 size animals in 40 and 300 size in 61. I have heard 40 is very limited on public space. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
I am in a position to draw both and have looked into both options a bit. I can’t say that I’ve seen a legit 350 bull posted on any of the unit 40 outfitters websites in the past several years. Seems to be the bread and butter bulls they are killing are 300-320 bulls. That’s a lot of cash and points for a bull like that if you ask me. I think if you work hard in 61 you can kill a similar sized bull.

If I had the points I would do 61 just because I’ve been there a quite a few times now. If I was a non res that was going with an outfitter I’d probably do 40 depending on availability. It seems like outfitters in these primo units are booked a long ways out.

I’ve been in both a fair bit.

If you are looking for an opportunity at the biggest bulls possible (330+ ), I’d say go guided in 40, hands down. I wouldn’t get your heart set on a 350 Bull no matter which tag you decide on, although both units can produce them.

If you want more public land than you can possibly explore, and want to do it on your own, then 61, although realistically a 280-320 type bull is much more common. There are great outfitters in 61 as well. Garvey and Allout very reputable.
Spot on. Hunted with Allout in 61, 2021.

Yotebuster17, not sure where you're looking but the pics are out there. Trophy class hasn't been doing the best the last few years as far as 330+ bulls go. But other outfitters have plenty of pics of their last few seasons pumping out giants.

Don't remember his name, but a guy on here has a video and pics of a 350" bull that he shot last year or the year before.

Yotebuster17, not sure where you're looking but the pics are out there. Trophy class hasn't been doing the best the last few years as far as 330+ bulls go. But other outfitters have plenty of pics of their last few seasons pumping out giants.

Don't remember his name, but a guy on here has a video and pics of a 350" bull that he shot last year or the year before.
I saw that one and was damn impressed. Best bull by 30” that I’ve seen come out of there. I follow a couple of the outfitter pages and I haven’t seen a bull that I think would go much over 330 posted in a few years. Trophy class and Biggerstaff haven’t really even updated any of their pics and I have a hunch that’s why. Not saying they don’t kill nice bulls, just not the kinda bulls that I think are worth 25 points and $10k. In all seriousness, I’d love to see some pics because if there’s one that’s producing bulls in the 340+ range consistently I’d consider burning my points and going.

C26F69AC-7401-4C54-8542-FA61A1CCBF44.jpeg

Here is a 350” bull from last year in unit 40.

Not everybody posts pics but you have to put in the work and that’s what Trevor did.
Totally agree. Original reason I posted is that everyone seems to hint that if you hire one of the private outfitters and draw 40 you’re gonna kill a 350 bull and I was just noting the last 3 years or so I haven’t seen one that I would say is over 330 posted on any of there stuff. I did see this bull posted and read the write up and think that’s awesome he got in there at a tough time of year and killed a slug.

Totally agree. Original reason I posted is that everyone seems to hint that if you hire one of the private outfitters and draw 40 you’re gonna kill a 350 bull and I was just noting the last 3 years or so I haven’t seen one that I would say is over 330 posted on any of there stuff. I did see this bull posted and read the write up and think that’s awesome he got in there at a tough time of year and killed a slug.
You're not looking in the right place. Nobody updates web sites anymore. It's all social media. You can see plenty of VERY big bulls if you look. Think you probabaly already know that since you were saying you could draw ;)

You're not looking in the right place. Nobody updates web sites anymore. It's all social media. You can see plenty of VERY big bulls if you look. Think you probabaly already know that since you were saying you could draw ;)
No. Not sandbagging. I follow them on the socials and still haven’t seen a bull over 330 in the last couple years I guess. Maybe someone can drop a handful here if I’m way off. They gotta shoot a few dozen bulls out of there a year and like I said before the best one I’ve seen is the one that was posted by the DIY rifle guy. That’s a bull I’d burn my points and hire a guide for.

Lol I was waiting for some of the pics to be posted, because I've seen them all and had NO clue where you were coming from with the "330 is the best I've seen" lol. There's pics all over, biggerstaff had a 100% success rate the last 2 years for archery elk on bulls 330"+. 330" being the smallest.

Lol I was waiting for some of the pics to be posted, because I've seen them all and had NO clue where you were coming from with the "330 is the best I've seen" lol. There's pics all over, biggerstaff had a 100% success rate the last 2 years for archery elk on bulls 330"+. 330" being the smallest.
These are the last 3 I can find
CA004F42-0764-4805-A6E7-101B0E4C02F4.png
95C18547-34C3-4C88-8E37-B7FF4F0FD681.png
F25EFEA0-F25F-4F12-8F7B-1BF9FFBCF0F6.png

I guess I can’t see any of those being over 300-315. Great pic angles on them but if you look at the faces in relation to the fronts on those bulls they aren’t packing anything in length that gets them over 330. . I’m not saying they don’t kill good bulls, just that a 350 being a near guarantee is very very far from the truth.

That first one seems a lot bigger than 330" lol. But there are for sure way more pictures than those.
I think we might just have a diff of opinion on elk scores I guess. I think the first one is the smallest. 6” 3rds and 5ths don’t get you far unless you’ve got big fronts and there’s a couple 10-12” fronts on him too. I’d bet a good chunk of change that bull doesn’t gross over 315.

I had a 61 muzzleloader this year and 61 bear last year. There are a lot of elk in 61 and I saw bulls over 330". I cannot speak to what a guided or private property 40 tag would offer. I think 61 offers amazing DIY opportunity. If you are physically capable and patient you'll get a great bull in 61. I am not patient and shot the first bull I saw the opening morning. I am not a score guy, but it was better than a 330" bull and epic rut activity...I couldn't pass that up!

I’ll tell you first hand as someone that’s spent a fair amount of time in both 40 and 61 and played a big hand in putting bulls on the ground in both id go 40 all day long. There’s a pretty well known Outfitter- (that I will be guiding for next year) that hunts both units and he will tell you 40>61. But take it for what it’s worth….

Coloradoboy

It's surprising that guys aren't trying for a better bull on these tags that take so many points and money for a guided hunt. There's 300" bulls taken OTC by diy guys every year.
Not really. Was a diy for the first 50 years of my hunting career. When I (others) draw a tag, they may be well past 65 (me 69). Then health issues may come into play (me heart and knees). So, you hire a guide (don’t really give a $hit about the money) and take an animal that you think looks “nice”. Don’t really give a $hit about 300” or 350” at my age. Just enjoying the hunt! Posted pic before, but here’s my “nice”.
BFD8DA03-6CD1-468C-9331-CE210125A93B.jpeg

Last edited:
Not saying you're bad at measuring, but multiple people measured said bull and all came out damn near the same. He's a lot bigger than pics show.

I'll take your word for it, but I've officially scored quite a few bulls and I sure don't see it.

Pictures can be deceiving both directions that's for sure.

Y'all are awesome. I'm still debating which one. I would love to do it DIY but I've got degenerative discs in my entire lumbar region so its a bit more difficult to pack in camp and then hunt hard like I want to. It makes the idea of going more toward an outfitter a bit more reasonable sounding. But I flip flop like a politician on this one.

Y'all are awesome. I'm still debating which one. I would love to do it DIY but I've got degenerative discs in my entire lumbar region so its a bit more difficult to pack in camp and then hunt hard like I want to. It makes the idea of going more toward an outfitter a bit more reasonable sounding. But I flip flop like a politician on this one.
Allout offers a semi-guided. Will pack out for you. So, that could be a hybrid option. Talk to JT.

Allout offers a semi-guided. Will pack out for you. So, that could be a hybrid option. Talk to JT.
We did the self guided with Allout last year. I would recommend that option if you are concerned about being able to pack a bull out of the deep canyons. My buddy and I are getting a little old for two flatlanders to pack out bulls from the bottom of the canyons. JT’s young packers did a great job!

We did the self guided with Allout last year. I would recommend that option if you are concerned about being able to pack a bull out of the deep canyons. My buddy and I are getting a little old for two flatlanders to pack out bulls from the bottom of the canyons. JT’s young packers did a great job!
What unit did you hunt. If reasonably priced it would be a good deal.

We hunted in 61. I am not sure if Allout offers the semi guided package in 40 or not. The cost was well worth it when we had two large bodied bulls down. I don’t think we could have packed them out ourselves considering our age, degree of fitness, steepness of slope and weather. This was our first time to use the services of an outfitter on a hunt.

Coloradoboy, looking deeper at your pics, I can see that the bull you're squatting next to is significantly shorter than the bull I posted. The bull I posted was almost as tall as my brother in the pictures (he's standing a few steps behind in the pic of him holding it up). So I'm going to assume that's where the excess comes from that you're not seeing. Like I said, the pics weren't the most favorable to his bull. And sitting in the back or that razor, I'm going to go out on a limb and say his bull would be a good bit over that head rack.

Not trying to down play the bull in your pics, because that's a dandy for sure!

We hunted in 61. I am not sure if Allout offers the semi guided package in 40 or not. The cost was well worth it when we had two large bodied bulls down. I don’t think we could have packed them out ourselves considering our age, degree of fitness, steepness of slope and weather. This was our first time to use the services of an outfitter on a hunt.
I am going to reach out to Allout and see if they offer that in 40 as well. They just have that 40 will be added to their page soon online so no reference to it.

Coloradoboy, looking deeper at your pics, I can see that the bull you're squatting next to is significantly shorter than the bull I posted. The bull I posted was almost as tall as my brother in the pictures (he's standing a few steps behind in the pic of him holding it up). So I'm going to assume that's where the excess comes from that you're not seeing. Like I said, the pics weren't the most favorable to his bull. And sitting in the back or that razor, I'm going to go out on a limb and say his bull would be a good bit over that head rack.

Not to question you either but post some different pics.
I agree your bull doesn’t look any where near 340 to me either.

342". Pictures are the most deceiving.
That can sure be true. But sometimes the guy taping the bull can be more deceiving than pictures. LOL.

To the OP, hope you have an incredible hunt with those points. An amazing time will be had no matter what direction you go. Have hunted 76 archery elk 3x and 61 1x on pref point draw or reissue tags since 2017 and realize I will probably never have tags in those units again given the shift in reissue process but sure enjoyed each of them.

This unit 76 bull taped out well short of 342" and (to me) sure looks a good bit bigger than the "342" posted above?

IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2331 (1) - Copy.JPG

The below bull is a 1st rifle 61 bull from a 3 years ago. Well over 342" per the tape and far as I know it is rare find to find one as big as this in there. I know I feel incredibly lucky to have found this one thanks to a buddy on my hunt. Never hunted 40 so no thoughts on comparing the units.

61bull.jpg

Last edited:
That can sure be true. But sometimes the guy taping the bull can be more deceiving than pictures. LOL.

To the OP, hope you have an incredible hunt with those points. An amazing time will be had no matter what direction you go. Have hunted 76 archery elk 3x and 61 1x on pref point draw or reissue tags since 2017 and realize I will probably never have tags in those units again given the shift in reissue process but sure enjoyed each of them.

This unit 76 bull taped out well short of 342" and (to me) sure looks a good bit bigger than the "342" posted above?

View attachment 98243View attachment 98244

The below bull is a 1st rifle 61 bull from a 3 years ago. Well over 342" per the tape and far as I know it is rare find to find one as big as this in there. I know I feel incredibly lucky to have found this one thanks to a buddy on my hunt. Never hunted 40 so no thoughts on comparing the units.

View attachment 98245
Thats a magnificent looking bull!

Not saying you're bad at measuring, but multiple people measured said bull and all came out damn near the same. He's a lot bigger than pics show.
I can not find a mathematically way possible to put 340 in the ball park on the bull…. I mean I’ve put my hands on a bull or two in my life over 340 but what do I know. I have some nice 300 to 315s out in the shop that look very similar to him though ??‍♂️

View attachment 98243View attachment 98244

View attachment 98245
Those are both top end bulls for those units. It’s damn hard digging up much over 300 in 76 and damn hard digging one up over 310-320 in 61. Good work

I am going to reach out to Allout and see if they offer that in 40 as well. They just have that 40 will be added to their page soon online so no reference to it.
I’m with all-out next year for late season bulls…Myself and a another young guy are pretty good at killing them… here’s one example for you of one he guided in 2021…

98379DFC-E2B1-411C-8394-F1AC3AE1E836.jpeg

Last edited:
OP- If your lumbar spine is already compromised, I'd highly recommend drawing 40 over 61. I'm sure you're aware 61 is a massive unit with overwhelming topography. 61 without an outfitter, limited knowledge of the unit, and an ailing back is the recipe for a 280" 6 point.. if you're lucky. From the sound of your initial post, you're after the highest scoring bull your preference points will afford. In that case, a unit 40 guided hunt is your best option, as coloradoboy stated. While you're at it you should check out what a resident archery tag in unit uno takes...

You're in a tough spot with 16 points. If an early rifle 61 tag is a serious option, you're better off waiting another XX years for any NW corner tag. Either burn them this year on a mid-tier unit, or commit to playing the game another decade until you get out of the second no-man's land (sounds terrible). From my experience, the mid-tier units offer a quality hunt with the potential of killing a big bull, like any CO unit, while the premier units often yield 330" bulls to average hunters with the initiated hunter routinely killing larger. I hope you find the hunt you're looking for!

-Side note, MountainSqwabler, my dude, be happy for your brother and that awesome bull! Regardless of what he scores, he's impressive and I'm sure the memory will be with you a long time.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time over the years in 40. The limited public land close to roads can get hit pretty hard starting with archery. There are some thick and nasty canyons that can be an outrageous amount of work and boot leather to hunt and pack bulls out of. I stay in top year-round shape and am not sure how many years I’ll be able to pack bulls out of those rugged spots! There also is a chunk of cow rifle tags issued starting Sept 1 to Nov 30 that can push bulls back into remote locations. I also have seen the rancher on one end of 40 drive his cows from public to private just before rifle season that push elk onto private. Seen this happen 2 years in a row!

Photos can be very deceiving! Some guys can make 320 bulls look like 340 bulls. I’ve also seen photos of 340 bulls that look like 320 bulls.

The bull I’m squatting behind goes 327.. i guessed him at 330. I’ve been 3 inches short a lot in my life…. He has 51 and 53 inches MB’s for reference. Ultimately score means nothing to me. Honestly it’s not even worth posting. But when you guide professionally you have to be pretty solid at it because that’s what a lot of your clients unfortunately are basing the whole hunt off “what he scores” If your brother is happy with that bull than he might as well score 400. A bull can get to 340 number of ways… I have 340 bull on the wall the most think is 360 and I have a beautiful 320 on the wall that most think is 340…

Last edited:
Thats a pretty nice bull! I just heard back from JT, they are not doing a drop camp or self guided in 40 next year but he recommended 40 for size of bulls.
Drop camps in 40 don’t exist in there guy. Trust me anyone that’s pulled it off in 40 will tell you what it takes…

Drop camps in 40 don’t exist in there guy. Trust me anyone that’s pulled it off in 40 will tell you what it takes…
Spot on. I don’t think he has any idea of what 40 is. Only heard the word “bigger”. My buddy (NR) hunted 40 and tag soup. He has half a dozen 6x6’s under his belt (all archery), largest 358+. So
it wasn’t like he didn’t know what he was doing.

I have hunted Unit 40 twice, once for elk and once for deer, both third season. I never saw a 350 bull or anything close to it either trip. I hunted private land with one of the established outfitters.

I have looked at the photos on the Biggarstaff Instagram account. They have twenty one photos from this year and my opinion is that maybe two or three of them are 350 bulls. I think that's typical for the good outfitters there. Twenty to twenty five bulls and one to three 350 bulls.

The ground at the higher elevations is mostly private. Both years I was there the elk were at 8,000 ft or higher. Some deer were killed low and some were high.

The outfitter and all the guides I talked to said they killed the bigger bulls in the early seasons. By third season the bigger bulls had been killed or were broken up.

With the later season dates could the elk get pushed off the private down to the lower BLM land. I guess that's possible but I doubt it.

I have hunted Unit 40 twice, once for elk and once for deer, both third season. I never saw a 350 bull or anything close to it either trip. I hunted private land with one of the established outfitters.

I have looked at the photos on the Biggarstaff Instagram account. They have twenty one photos from this year and my opinion is that maybe two or three of them are 350 bulls. I think that's typical for the good outfitters there. Twenty to twenty five bulls and one to three 350 bulls.

The ground at the higher elevations is mostly private. Both years I was there the elk were at 8,000 ft or higher. Some deer were killed low and some were high.

The outfitter and all the guides I talked to said they killed the bigger bulls in the early seasons. By third season the bigger bulls had been killed or were broken up.

With the later season dates could the elk get pushed off the private down to the lower BLM land. I guess that's possible but I doubt it.
Solid feedback. And 100% agree with the observations you have provided regarding the ratio of 350 bulls on outfitters IG pages.
1672426376032.gif

Fun thread, I’ve spent time in both as well and unless you are forking out the cash, you’d be very lucky to have a crack at a 350 bull public land 40. 61 has the ground to get out and hunt and a higher top end compared to 40 public land bulls IMHO. Good luck whatever ya decide.

Majority of the bulls killed in 40 in the early season are “on the top” and typically are 300 to 320. Heck, go to unit 2,10 or 201 and I’ll be the first to tell majority of the bulls guys are breaking triggers on don’t touch 320. 40 and 61 have a similar dynamic in that alot of the biggest bulls live in the desert type country and they never leave. Majority of outfitters aren’t going to take a client in the the nasty rough country early in the season where the densities are lower but the bulls are considerably bigger. They are going to stay where the numbers are better, let the guy look over a bunch of bulls, whack a 300ish type 6 point, collect the money and shake the next guy in lines hand. The clear difference in 40 over 61 is 40 has the genetics. The reality if you’re going to hunt with myself, or Austin through All-Out is we are going to the nasty country and hunting the biggest bulls in the unit. We get that this style isn’t going to fit everyone’s style or needs but we are ok with that, we have both done this long enough and have other means of income outside of guiding. But we truly love hunting large (especially late season) bulls. And I’ll be frank about, majority of the bulls we’ve killed and will kill, our clients will not be able to physically walk down to to do grip and grins in regards to their safety.

Coloradoboy

Majority of the bulls killed in 40 in the early season are “on the top” and typically are 300 to 320. Heck, go to unit 2,10 or 201 and I’ll be the first to tell majority of the bulls guys are breaking triggers on don’t touch 320. 40 and 61 have a similar dynamic in that alot of the biggest bulls live in the desert type country and they never leave. Majority of outfitters aren’t going to take a client in the the nasty rough country early in the season where the densities are lower but the bulls are considerably bigger. They are going to stay where the numbers are better, let the guy look over a bunch of bulls, whack a 300ish type 6 point, collect the money and shake the next guy in lines hand. The clear difference in 40 over 61 is 40 has the genetics. The reality if you’re going to hunt with myself, or Austin through All-Out is we are going to the nasty country and hunting the biggest bulls in the unit. We get that this style isn’t going to fit everyone’s style or needs but we are ok with that, we have both done this long enough and have other means of income outside of guiding. But we truly love hunting large (especially late season) bulls. And I’ll be frank about, majority of the bulls we’ve killed and will kill, our clients will not be able to physically walk down to to do grip and grins in regards to their safety.

Coloradoboy
I was curious what your thoughts are between the early rifle in unit 61 vs a late hunt on 40 are. I am considering booking a hunt with All-out this next fall for a hunt and I am weighing my options on which would have the opportunity to produce a bigger bull?

I was curious what your thoughts are between the early rifle in unit 61 vs a late hunt on 40 are. I am considering booking a hunt with All-out this next fall for a hunt and I am weighing my options on which would have the opportunity to produce a bigger bull?
TJ is going to tell you the exact thing I will. 40, if it’s about killing the biggest bull possible.Don’t get me wrong the same goal is to kill the biggest bull possible in 61 but statistically speaking of what’s hit the dirt the last couple years your odds are better of a 330 plus in 40 considerably in my opinion. The only issue you’re going to run into in 40 is it’s brutal country we are in during that late hunt and we are going to look over a ton of broken bulls

JFYI, if you could not hit a 320+" bull in 40 with a wrist rocket you have no idea how to hunt elk. It's not about big bulls being available there, it's just about dudes putting in the effort to get where they are and navigating the private. I've spent enough time in the unit on public to know I'd never punch my tag on less than a 340" bull there. Of course most guys will shoot the first 320" bull they see and be happy, but there are enough toads in there to take your time.

Funny story... I took my son on a 2nd season dear hunt in there when he was 16. We are both mostly elk addicts, so we got all fixated watching and listening to multiple big bulls scream and fighting one morning on public. We watched one bull we nicknamed 60X60(you figure it out), but he was all broken up. Later in the AM after looking over many GREAT bulls we heard a rifle shot and then worked back that way. There was biggerstaff with his client. He shot that broken bull. Not sure he or the client loved it when we told him how long we had watched that bull, but all the really good bulls were the ones we watched a little farther up :)

Hunted with TJ couple years ago he does what he say he will do hunt hard had last season tag only saw bulls most were broken which is what he told me from the start. Killed a really nice bull with one point broke never scored him but some where between 330 -340 my guess not my first elk . f you want a guide that will do everything possible to get you a elk in unit 40 book with him great guides and equipment it's a one time deal don't cheap out you will never hunt that hunt unit again.

I’m honestly jealous of either tag 40 or 61. The next tier up is northwest corner.
I’d agree from my experience out there but the probabilities of drawing those tags in majority of our lifetimes, excluding lucking into a hybrid tag is highly unlikely. I think you’d truly be surprised how the quality stacks up in 40 to unit 10. The difference is anyone can find them in 10

I agree I’ve been in 10 a couple times and the ease of finding bulls was crazy. I know several people who have hunted 40 on public. Or have a chunk of property. If I had access or a more money, I would do 40. Now 201 or 2 is a different animal again from my very limited experience.

I agree I’ve been in 10 a couple times and the ease of finding bulls was crazy. I know several people who have hunted 40 on public. Or have a chunk of property. If I had access or a more money, I would do 40. Now 201 or 2 is a different animal again from my very limited experience.
Same deal in 2/201. Ray Charles could find a 300 inch bull in there

If anyone is wondering why I'm putting 40 on blast it's because I just got ass Fu#%ed by CPW this year after 15 years of putting in. I was finally in a place to draw a 40 archery elk tag. I've spent the last 4 years as NR scouting the unit getting ready for when I would draw. Now with the changes I will never draw, or at least not in a time frame I will accept. Now I will burn my 15 points on a 6 point unit to hunt with my son.

If anyone actually draws 40 and can show me they drew I will send you GPS coords to where there lots of bulls on public in many places. I won't be exclusive so you may or may not have company.

I actually don't really have issue with CO helping their residents. When I am a WY res. in a year I will be leading the charge to limit NR tags to 90/10 and if there are some CO residents with lots of points sorry bruh, life's a *****. Move where you want to hunt!

Elkocd, how did good ol CPW peg you? Did they atleast use lube? Spit?
No lube... just straight dry take it in the ass. I'm sure you know what changes they made this year. It's all good. I know how to play the game. But... as said I will share all the 40 secrets I know and CPW will not be getting any of my $ or my sons $ after this year.

For what it’s worth I’ve got 8 points for moose. That on its own is Nothing. But I’ve been putting in for cow the entire time. And all I do when I don’t draw and “donate” my $250 to cpw is say thank you daddy and continue on.

You should have cashed your points CPW is over ten years past due on adjusting those units to 80/20

Don't disagree. As said, all good and I'll do my best to make sure and level the playing field ;)

With that said, I hope no CO residents expect that the cat will not let be let out of the bag that 40 holds the best bulls in CO. I've spent many weeks in that unit over years as well as someone who has and does hunt every western state. I've been in the best units in AZ, UT, NV .... CO 40 holds bulls to rival them all and there are plenty of bulls all over public despite the **** you may read on the internet.

As I said above, I'd never shoot a bull under 340" in that unit and that is based on time on the ground.

Don't disagree. As said, all good and I'll do my best to make sure and level the playing field ;)

With that said, I hope no CO residents expect that the cat will not let be let out of the bag that 40 holds the best bulls in CO. I've spent many weeks in that unit over years as well as someone who has and does hunt every western state. I've been in the best units in AZ, UT, NV .... CO 40 holds bulls to rival them all and there are plenty of bulls all over public despite the **** you may read on the internet.

As I said above, I'd never shoot a bull under 340" in that unit and that is based on time on the ground.
I have never set foot in Colorado Unit 40, but think your statement that it holds bulls that rival the best units in AZ, UT or NV might be just a bit too much hyperbole. Not a chance my friend-just check the B&C and P&Y record book.

I have never set foot in Colorado Unit 40, but think your statement that it holds bulls that rival the best units in AZ, UT or NV might be just a bit too much hyperbole. Not a chance my friend-just check the B&C and P&Y record book.

Well I have been on hunts in AZ unit 1, 27, NM 34 and NV 231 in the last few years and my dad shot a 374" bull in UT a few years ago, but think what you want. I will say most guys shoot bulls well under 340" in those units and as I said I would not shoot a bull under 340 in unit 40.

JFYI I elk hunt an average of 8-10 weeks in 3 states every fall so my experience is not from as distance, it's from time on the ground ;) The genetics in 40 are as good as it gets.

I’ll take your word for it, and I have no doubt Unit 40 has some good bulls, but if someone held a gun to your head and said you had to take a top tier AZ unit or CO Unit 40 tag, you’re telling me you would take the CO tag?

I have heard some crazy stuff in my life, but that might be up there on the list.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom