Unit 41 Mule Deer

I drew in 2019. Good looking deer country not a lot of deer.
Weather was really mild. I saw one mature buck. A 6 year old forked horn.

The drought and the coyotes have taken a huge toll on the herd but there are a few bruisers out there still. Some of the breaks in the Big Jacks Creek Wilderness hold some good bucks, I’ve seen out coyote hunting. Get out a bit from the roads into the Wilderness and the breaks and rim rock country and find the water sources and hope for some snow.

My friend had that tag last year. We only saw 1 22" 4 point. He spent two weeks out there. He started at the Nevada border and worked his way up. Tons of 2 points, I thought they all got shot in the general hunt according to the popular opinion about 2 point only hunts. I've also elk hunted it for the last 5 years in December and have never seen anything bigger than a 24" 4x4. With enough time I'm sure you can find a stud buck but it's a huge unit with a lot of places to hide.

The units not what it once was but draw odds have yet to reflect that so guys think they hit the lottery when they draw that tag. I spend a lot of time in there coyote hunting. My advice, just approach it as a fun tag. You can drive all over or if you have a sxs even better, you’ll see lots of country and have a shot at some bucks. I wouldn’t be pulling your hair out looking for a 200” buck though, see one that tickles your fancy or feel like in a cool spot or whatever, shoot it and and enjoy the time.

I’d put in for that tag if the draw odds were right for it. Should really be a hunt you could draw every few years if people knew what it was now

It not's that bad as some would have you think, there was a 61% hunter kill in 2021, with 50% a 4-point or better...

West of sayler creek range always see a lot of nice 4x4s by Bruneau canyon. Nothing huge but average. Get up on the mesas early and glass before sunrise.

Thank you for all the information. I just got back from a 2 day scouting trip in 41. Covered a lot of country and turned up a few deer. I'm excited about the hunt and plan on hunting 10 days and looking for a 160+ buck. Thanks again.

Had another good scouting trip and turned up some nice deer. Still struggling on finding elk. My wife has the January cow tag. Any input would be appreciated.

Had another good scouting trip and turned up some nice deer. Still struggling on finding elk. My wife has the January cow tag. Any input would be appreciated.
I've had the Dec. Cow tag the last 4 years, other than the first year I haven't found any elk until the last 2 weeks of Dec. Pray for cold and snow

It has been very difficult to find mature deer. Went out scouting 5 different times and haven't turned up a buck over 140. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

I went and checked out the saylor creek area today and turned up 15 deer but nothing bigger than a 18" 3x3. I'm shocked I can't turn up mature deer. I will stay after it

I like to keep up on the Nevada Big Game Status books when applying and hunting in Nevada and sometimes they can help in neighboring units/states.

Take comments about 061, 071 across the border in Nevada for example.

"In January 2022, elk were observed throughout their traditional winter ranges north of the Nevada border, along the Bruneau and Sheep Rivers, and as far as 30 miles into Idaho. Approx-
imately 1,350 elk were observed utilizing the Diamond A Desert and 950 wintering on the JP Desert."

I'm still looking for the one but having a great time. Passed on 7 bucks this weekend but did finally find a mature buck. He was a 24-26 wide crabby 4 point. I decided to pass. Couple things I find odd so far, found a group of 13 does with no buck and a group of 22 does with a 2 point. Hopefully the big boys show up soon.

I shot a big buck during rut on Nov 14 13 years ago. If I had been patient that might have been a B&C buck by the period of the 20th-30th. Patience and time off to keep hitting tbe late hunt is how to get it done. Good luck to you .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom