unit 42

• Thread starter northwesthunter
  • Start date
N

northwesthunter

Any input from guys who know or hunt unit 42 for deer? I have been in unit 31 and am looking to try a different area and have considered 42 since it is close by and seems to have more public land and more areas a guy could get away from the roads. AM thinking of 3rd season tags and hope for a hunt comparable to what we have had in 31 where we see plenty of deer and have taken 24-26" bucks but options are limited due to private lands being locked up where we have gone in the past. thanks nwhunter

I have hunted 42 a few times and would say overall its a pretty good hunt. Like alot of other places in Colorado I would say its not what it once was. We always hunted up mud hill road and up into the battlement. When I first hunted the unit there was mud hill rd and that turned into the battlement trail and that was it. The last time I hunted there was probably 5 or 6 new trails that were just blazed through the bush by the mob of ATV'ers( you know the guys that ride up to you when your half mile off the legal trail and ask you where all the deer are) but you can still get away from the pressure and although they are fewer than they were when I first hunted the unit there is some dandy bucks running around on the Grand Mesa.

Thanks accubond for the reply. Sounds like it is worth researching for this year. Not sure of the draw odds for 3rd season we will have 2 points. WHen were you there last and are there trails a guy can quad in on and then hike from there to go deeper? How about elk , see many? THanks again. nwhunter

My son and I camped and hunted on Mudd Hill during the third season 2008. We saw a lot of bucks the first two days. Mostly one and two year olds. We saw ATVs EVERYWHERE!, which was pretty different than what we're use to where we usually hunt. A storm came in on the second night and all the deer were gone the next day. Took us a few days to find them again. All in all, it was a great place to hunt if your not expecting a big buck, at least not around Mud Hill. We're going back but we'll be looking for a place we can hike into. We've had great success hiking past ATVers in ID, UT, WY and MT. We can compare notes if you want to email me, Chuck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom