Unit 44 3rd season?

BenHuntn

Like to hear from anyone who hunted deer unit 44 3rd season in 2019. Should of had a great hunt or is the unit just hype now. You invest up to 20 years of building points to hunt this premier unit was it worth the wait?

Julius

Charles Darwin:
Father of the theory of Evolution; Suggested that natural selection is the mechanism by which species evolve over geologic time.

It's honestly a hit or miss hunt. If conditions are crap it can be the worst hunt you've ever been on; you either have to either know the unit really well and know where the bucks transition to and hole up or you have to get flat out lucky. If you have cold weather and snow on the ground it can be kick ass. I've grown up in the unit my whole life and honestly waiting that long to draw it for a weather dependent hunt with so/so numbers is bogus. I personally will never chase it but there's no denying it the genetics are there to produce giants.

Coloradoboy

Sadly I hunted it this year. It sucked. Like majorly sucked. I never saw a good buck. Hunted 11 days. Knew where to go. Just no critters worth shooting at. My definition of good is 180+ fyi.

Sad. Weather, elk hunters, private land issues would be my complaints.

Ive killed some whoppers. Hunted some great parts of North America. Way way way over hyped. Now if you could predict the weather....maybe...but really. Your whole life applying. What is worth that.

One guy killed a good deer this year. Sitting on private. Guy had governors tag and 7 guides. Good for him.

Another old guy I met said he was packin up to leave. Driving out. Rifle packed in the camper under all his stuff....magically a 200+ buck walking accroas the blm. Stops car. Has enough time to dig his gun out. Wham. 200" buck down. Saw him last day at gas station. Lucky dude. But he was 70+ and had waited 27 years or 24... a long time. Deserving to say the least.

If someone gave me the tag. I would go again just knowing what could be lurking. But it was not at all impressive in my 11 days. And i hunted my a$$ off.

44 has been that way forever! I hunted it quite a few years ago during the 4th season. I was being super picky (190+ or nothing) and ended up with tag soup. It's somewhat tough waiting that many years for 1 tag and not knowing you stand much of a chance at a true whopper. As mentioned, there may be only 1 in 10 years chance of weather and snow being just right. There's also know way to predict if there is going to be winterkill the year you draw? As mentioned 44 has great genetics but is it worth the risk of all those years waiting?

I'd like to know if there are any units or hunts worth the points (years) it takes to draw?

I still remember 44 3rd taking 3 points, now it's at about 20. It sure doesn't seem like it's worth the wait, but when it takes 40 points to draw and a 160 buck is a taker and rifles can kill stuff at 3 miles, you'll be thinking 20 years and 1,000 yard rifles were the "good ole days". ha ha

I agree though, 44 3rd can be awesome or suck. Just depends on if you happen to find the big one. A hunter or two might, the rest go home wondering why it wasn't as good as they had hoped.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I was hunting 3rd season unit 3 north of Craig -4 and a foot of snow. Did Eagle have the same weather during late second season?

Charles Darwin:
Father of the theory of Evolution; Suggested that natural selection is the mechanism by which species evolve over geologic time.

With 23 points I need to have my head examined. F it. I think i might share my points with a couple guys and find a 3rd season hunt so we can all enjoy.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-19 AT 05:09PM (MST)[p]If only you could! No splitting in Colorado. For 1 year a few years back they let you bank your points where you only paid the number of points that the tag cost plus 1 point and you could save the rest. I wouldn't be opposed to them doing that again.

The sad reality of the point game we play is, eventually no unit anywhere is worth the wait.
I have waited 25 years to get an elk tag in a unit that used to produce 400" whoppers.
Now it produces bulls like most of the units I could have drawn 15 years ago, had I just cashed in then.

Just too many of us in the game willing to wait for a chance at a monster!

I showed up there like a kid the night before christmas. I had dreams man. I had heard about the weather. And i saw the forcast. Sunny and 50s. I knew what was coming but I was still dreaming. Unit 44. The legend.

Then.......day after day 160 bucks, 170 bucks, doe, doe, doe......and in the end my tag un notched in hand. I drove away. Silent, solemn, confused. I felt the energy the whole time there. I knew there was a giant behind each corner i hiked. I could feel them, smell them.... they just would not step out to play.

The END.

>I don't think there's a tag
>in the state worth more
>than a 5 year wait.
>

Agree!

#livelikezac

I came to that same realization that there is not a tag worth waiting more than 5 years for so I burned my elk points last year and deer this year. Got 2 decent animals and am glad to be out of the rat race. Yall can have it. I think a drastic measure such as wiping the slate clean on points will have to occur, and I wouldnt put it past DOW to do it.

Others have said it before but building more than 5 points in Colorado for deer is nuts. You kill big deer by going as often as possible and learning a couple units extremely well, majority of my best deer have came off second choice and 0 point tags. Putting all your eggs in one basket on a 10 plus point tag is just asking for a let down more times than not.

Coloradoboy

If i have 23 points and my buddies have 10 and 13 points respectfully, can we put in together and have our 46 points averaged?

>If i have 23 points and
>my buddies have 10 and
>13 points respectfully, can we
>put in together and have
>our 46 points averaged?

You would go in with the least amount of point in your group, so 10. Colorado doesn't average.

>If i have 23 points and
>my buddies have 10 and
>13 points respectfully, can we
>put in together and have
>our 46 points averaged?

That would be nice, But the answer is no.

I have chased the ?Colorado? dream the last 6 years on units that take non-res hunters an average of 10+ points to draw. I've spent a handful of seasons in some of the most coveted units Colorado has and I still haven't killed a giant. It's just legalized mule deer gambling! My credit card
statements still haunt me!! Like Colorado boy said, learn a few units you can hunt effectively and draw often.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom