Unit 44 Elk

NIdahoty

Hello been an observer of this site for years but have never posted. I've lived in the Panhandle my whole life except for the 4 years I left to serve this great country. So on a whelm I put in for a draw that seemed impossible to draw. I've always wanted to try and hunt somewhere where I've never hunted so I put in for unit 44 elk the Oct. 1st hunt any weapon, and low and behold I drew it! I'm super excited and very nervous being my first hunt where I'm not staying local. I have been trying to find anything on the internet about this unit but the only things that comes up is about how great of a muley hunt area it is. So that being said what quality of bulls and hunt does this unit offer? I'm going down in the next week or so to hopefully get educated on the area. Thanks for any input.

It’s a good tag with some decent bulls. The reality is that’s not a real big unit so there’s no real secrets. Get on the ridges and glass. You’ll see elk

you can get some long range shooting to hunting timber pockets, that you will soon find out. their are closed roads and property there also, and a extra dry weather year coming there it looks like. after 55-58 yrs. of putting in, i drew my first buck tag (EVER) and it is in 44 this year.

It’s a good tag with some decent bulls. The reality is that’s not a real big unit so there’s no real secrets. Get on the ridges and glass. You’ll see elk
Thanks for the info. It's going to be a lot different from what I'm use to hunting. Just being able to see an elk and go after it will be exciting itself compared to wondering in a thick forest hoping to stumble on them.

you can get some long range shooting to hunting timber pockets, that you will soon find out. their are closed roads and property there also, and a extra dry weather year coming there it looks like. after 55-58 yrs. of putting in, i drew my first buck tag (EVER) and it is in 44 this year.
Thanks for the insight. Congrats on the buck tag. Looks like that is the place to hunt muley from what I've been seeing online.

I spent a good amount of time in 44 and along the border. I'd pm you but i cant figure out how to do it. If you can pm me Ill tell ya everything i learned and know. I doubt ill ever draw it due to the odds so i don't mind helping anyone out. I buddy I met on here has taught me that helping out on mm when you can, pay off tremendously. So i try and pay it forward when i can.

PM sent

I spent a good amount of time in 44 and along the border. I'd pm you but i cant figure out how to do it. If you can pm me Ill tell ya everything i learned and know. I doubt ill ever draw it due to the odds so i don't mind helping anyone out. I buddy I met on here has taught me that helping out on mm when you can, pay off tremendously. So i try and pay it forward when i can.

Hello been an observer of this site for years but have never posted. I've lived in the Panhandle my whole life except for the 4 years I left to serve this great country. So on a whelm I put in for a draw that seemed impossible to draw. I've always wanted to try and hunt somewhere where I've never hunted so I put in for unit 44 elk the Oct. 1st hunt any weapon, and low and behold I drew it! I'm super excited and very nervous being my first hunt where I'm not staying local. I have been trying to find anything on the internet about this unit but the only things that comes up is about how great of a muley hunt area it is. So that being said what quality of bulls and hunt does this unit offer? I'm going down in the next week or so to hopefully get educated on the area. Thanks for any input.
ok, i have a trail cam watching my broke down 4 wheeler. got a glimps of a bull there (not antlers yet) but there is a 6'' tree that is rubbed 7+feet high, like to see the one that done that! i have to get back up there and fix the no spark issue on the 2007 yamer hamer grizzly before i fill the cow elk tag i traded for. and my buck tag starts in a few days,15th. and reset up my camp tomorrow. hot, smokey and to dusty!!! 86

ok, i have a trail cam watching my broke down 4 wheeler. got a glimps of a bull there (not antlers yet) but there is a 6'' tree that is rubbed 7+feet high, like to see the one that done that! i have to get back up there and fix the no spark issue on the 2007 yamer hamer grizzly before i fill the cow elk tag i traded for. and my buck tag starts in a few days,15th. and reset up my camp tomorrow. hot, smokey and to dusty!!! 86
Thanks for the update. Good luck. I have an 07 grizz and the factory stator are known to be defective on them if you haven't found that out yet.

Thanks for the update. Good luck. I have an 07 grizz and the factory stator are known to be defective on them if you haven't found that out yet.
i have it going now and back at camp. the new spark plug boot shorted out and long story short, i drilled it out drove a screw in it, steel wool and a different spark plug seat to make a good connection. it worked for now and the new boot was in the mail. (good to go i hope) not hunting bulls but heard a good one bugle mon. morning and had a small one bugle twice 50yrds from my tent after i zipped the door closed at 3 am. elk very nocturnal, and with the full moon i see the deer and elk at nite doing there stuff. deer hunters last week have the elk at attention, (bugle) mike

Well I got it done! We saw some elk but not like I thought it would be. May have to do with the full moon and smoke mixed with the free ranging cattle. The wife and I had a good time seeing some new country. Thanks to everyone who helped on here. We also meet a lot of great people down there.
IMG_20201006_134039_857.jpg

Congratulations all that matters is you got it done! Good for you sticking it out through the crummy conditions.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom