Unit 44 fourth season deer? Who got??

Unbelievable, somebody sure hit the jackpot! What do you guys think that tag could sell for if you could buy one?

I got the text but was working and didn’t look at it for about 15 min. I would have gone for it if I had seen it sooner!

I got the text, but I knew it was looooong gone by then. Tried anyway, no good. I’ll get the next one!!! 44 sucks!!! Everyone send your tag back!:p

I was logged in and ready it took me less than 5 seconds to enter the unit and season and hit confirm. Got the tag is not available message . There is no way someone could have entered their info the went through the next steps of entering the hunter Ed # choosing how to receive the tag and then entering the credit card info that fast.

I was logged in and ready it took me less than 5 seconds to enter the unit and season and hit confirm. Got the tag is not available message . There is no way someone could have entered their info the went through the next steps of entering the hunter Ed # choosing how to receive the tag and then entering the credit card info that fast.
No the bots aren't real. Haven't you heard?

The system is rigged.......unless it works for us, then it’s on the up and up. Ha ha :)
I’m sure someone was fast and amazed.

To me the bigger question is, Why did none of the 5 next in line not take it?
Someone with 23,24 points or whatever just doesn’t think like the rest of us. That many points will mess with your mind. Or so I can imagine.

To me the bigger question is, Why did none of the 5 next in line not take it?
I can't imagine that five different hunters turned down this tag! I hate to be one of those guys, but something just doesn't add up with this.

Yes. I am pretty sure if one of the 5 took it they would have to give up their points. And if they couldn’t take off or scout...

however as a leftover it doesn’t cost you your points.

I've heard from a knowledgeable friend that he knows a CPW guy that has gotten like 3 or 4 primo turned in tags like this one via the leftovers. I'd not say it's "rigged" exactly but they obviously know exactly when the tag is gonna get turned in and they are just sitting with everything cued. I'd call it cheating rather than rigged. Seems like CPW employees should be exempt from these tags as it only takes someone that knows someone to "steal" these tags. I saw the text as well and was out hunting and knew that'd be gone in a couple seconds.

I believe with the 2021 season dates and being the first 5 called, is pretty much saying they are guaranteed the tag for next year. Still shocked no one pick it up and even more shocked it came through before season.

I saw that 76 muzzy tag as well and have no idea how they can post that 7 days after the season has been open. Maybe it was turned in a day before opening, then had to call the next 5 people with a day or so for each to decide. Either way seemed pretty weird.

Definitely some bots at work. You can't even add a high demand tag to your cart before it is gone. No way a human can check out that fast.

I believe with the 2021 season dates and being the first 5 called, is pretty much saying they are guaranteed the tag for next year. Still shocked no one pick it up and even more shocked it came through before season.
that's what I thought so I applied again this year thinking i would be a shoe in since i got the call last year.... Nope didn't draw it again this year and got the call that I was next in line again this year.

You have to factor in those people who have just been putting in for points. Every year, there are some who jump in after so many years

I couldn't believe the 76 muzz bull tag. Two days left in season and it was gone in less than five minutes. Had to be bought in person too.

I would guess that at least 95% of leftovers sold during season go to CPW employees. The only reason I can think of to require in person buying is to give the employees a perk.

You only have to buy them in person after the season starts. I bought a leftover tag from Oregon for elk this year.

Rich

I highly doubt employees are getting any special jumpstart on others. Some who process return might have an idea that something is eventually coming, but I don't believe they know exactly when it'll be posted. There would need to be multiple corrupt people involved and I don't buy it.
Lucky me caught a nice tag the other day. So I'm going hunting in Colorado!!!

Bots ain't got nothin' on my speedy fingers! :)

I'm not insinuating some that employees have advanced knowledge of tags coming out. I'm saying that if you work in a regional office and that is the only place to purchase tags reissued during season then you have a huge advantage on anyone that has to travel to that office to purchase the tag.

With only 14 regional offices in the entire state, how many people can get to one of these offices in less than five minutes?

Because of COVID, they have apparently suspended the requirement to purchase a tag in person after the season starts. I was able to purchase a turkey tag from the leftover list the other day and it was after the season had started. I picked it up at Sportsman's warehouse that evening.

I highly doubt employees are getting any special jumpstart on others. Some who process return might have an idea that something is eventually coming, but I don't believe they know exactly when it'll be posted. There would need to be multiple corrupt people involved and I don't buy it.
Lucky me caught a nice tag the other day. So I'm going hunting in Colorado!!!

Bots ain't got nothin' on my speedy fingers! :)
Hey Founder, what elk tag did your wife pick up?

I've heard from a knowledgeable friend that he knows a CPW guy that has gotten like 3 or 4 primo turned in tags like this one via the leftovers. I'd not say it's "rigged" exactly but they obviously know exactly when the tag is gonna get turned in and they are just sitting with everything cued. I'd call it cheating rather than rigged. Seems like CPW employees should be exempt from these tags as it only takes someone that knows someone to "steal" these tags. I saw the text as well and was out hunting and knew that'd be gone in a couple seconds.
we have discussed this before I call bullshit if a CPW employee ends of with a tag worth 25 grand it is felony theft...its not winky winky hey pays to know people or be an insider I was in LE in some form or fashion and for 20 years and if a parallel situation you would be in chains looking at the big house tired of ***** footing around this it stinks of corruption

Just a quick question. What’s the “cutoff “ for tags turned in going on the leftover list vs next in line getting a call? Is there a difference between NR/res for turned in tags?

Just a quick question. What’s the “cutoff “ for tags turned in going on the leftover list vs next in line getting a call? Is there a difference between NR/res for turned in tags?
If the tag took 5 or more resident points to draw it goes to next in line. Otherwise it goes to the leftover list.

Pretty sure they offer it to the next 5 guys in line on those tags, if no takers, then they put it on leftover list. Once there, there is no difference between res/NR. First come, first serve.

it's no 24 pt tag... but i managed to get 72 4th rifle for my son today. time will tell if this snap decision was a good one or not, as i know nothing about that area!

Yep! Would have been tempting to try out my lightening quick fingers if I hadn't just bought a deer tag yesterday!

I got the notice on my leftover app and by the time I looked, it's not even listed? Not sure if the app delays things or I just didn't notice it in time. I realize that would go within a couple minutes if not less but to not even be listed on the CPW site makes me wonder how long the app delays posting? I couldn't have bought it anyways but just testing the app this year and so far everything I've ever seen is gone from the list when I look for it. I did try to pick up a doe tag and it was gone within 1 minute. Any others have this experience?

There is a four minute delay between when the tags are on the system and when the list shows that update. For example, a 12:23 update will not show up on the list until 12:27. That 44 tag today was never available once shown on the list. I refreshed the list within 1 to 2 seconds of the update when it was listed and had it typed in and tried to add it to my cart in less than 10 seconds after and it was already gone. Not possible for somebody to buy that tag through complete check out in under 15 seconds from posting to the list.

It's just not possible to add them to your cart and check out that fast.

**Edited to remove rumor/speculation I shouldn't be spreading, even though I feel very confident it is true.**

It may not be a CPW employee that got it, but sounds like some “insider info” going on, or someone has a computer system to beat the Captcha

I know who bought that 44 tag today and hes just an average guy like any of us but hes super good at buying tags off the list. No bots, no inside info just watches the list closely and can blaze through the purchase process seamlessly. Funny to hear all the conspiracy theories tho.

I know who bought that 44 tag today and hes just an average guy like any of us but hes super good at buying tags off the list. No bots, no inside info just watches the list closely and can blaze through the purchase process seamlessly. Funny to hear all the conspiracy theories tho.

How does a normal guy keep up with tags that come up on his own. That would require refreshing a. Computer every 30 seconds ALL DAY LONG. How can you do that if you have a job and are actually working? Even if you are not working that would be extremely boring Tuesday-Friday from 9-4

I paid the piper (texting service) and got Both an elk and deer tag I wanted this year. No, they weren’t the unit 44 type tags, but ones I wanted badly.

Point creep will kill the list quality next year. Noticed it this year somewhat. The 5 point call requirement really killed the volume of quality tags. If your late to this game you missed out on some killer tags.

I talked to him and he informed me that he IS the bot. Haha. Honestly tho you know there is always someone who is extraordinarily good at pretty much any given activity. This is something he is amazing at. He gets some good tags but you gotta keep in mind that he was a couple of days away from getting no tag at all if this one wouldn't have come through so hes a trophy tag hunter. You know you cant snag the amazing tag if you snag a mediocre one first.

If there are bots buying tags, they sure suck! You’d think a bot would be faster than an old guy on an iPhone. I didn’t get that 44 4th, but I’d bet it wasn’t a bot.

I talked to him and he informed me that he IS the bot. Haha. Honestly tho you know there is always someone who is extraordinarily good at pretty much any given activity. This is something he is amazing at. He gets some good tags but you gotta keep in mind that he was a couple of days away from getting no tag at all if this one wouldn't have come through so hes a trophy tag hunter. You know you cant snag the amazing tag if you snag a mediocre one first.
How long does it take him to purchase a tag all the way through check out from the time it pops up on the list?

I work on the fire department and have a lot of week days off. I have my lap top with me at all times with a running timer that goes off every 5 minutes about 15 seconds before the list updates. Also running an auto refresh app that keeps me logged into the purchase area in another window.

I type in other tags I don't want all the time just to see if I am "in the game" and can get pretty much any normal 1-3 point unit in my cart. I use most of my vacation days for guiding, so I am only looking to buy more premium type tags. This week alone I have been on the computer and had the 18, 70, and 44 4th season tags entered in less than 20 seconds from when they update on the list and not a single one of them could I even get into my cart.

Ive got several quality tags via the return system. I'm just like everyone else thinking to myself-- how are they getting them so fast ??. My research has found 2 reasons we don't get the best tags.
#1--you cannot buy a license online once the season has already opened. You have to be present at a licensed agent !!!
Its impossible for one of us "onliners" to get one, after the season has already begun.

#2--the CDW has an advantage on selling a tag at the offices vs. all us Non Res, trying to buy online. They see the tags available before "we do". It's around 4-5 minute delay. So obviously we are not going to have a chance at those high demand tags...I.E, Unit 44.

I'm hoping next year the CWD does away with the point restriction for returned tags....& all tags get reissued online....NOW wouldn't that be awesome !!!!

Snowman

The re-issue licenses don't need to be published on the list yet, in order to be purchased. As someone mentioned above, they're available for sale 4 minutes before the re-issue list document shows them available. Anyone good with javascript coding, who is also very determined to get a license, such as perhaps Smitho's friend above, could conceivably create their own browser extension to fish for whatever specific tags they want, from 9am-4pm MST Tue-Fri. And beat anybody else who is waiting for the list to update. Way too late by then. Actually if you had little else to do, you could even fish for them manually for 7 hours a day on those 4 days each week.

The re-issue licenses don't need to be published on the list yet, in order to be purchased. As someone mentioned above, they're available for sale 4 minutes before the re-issue list document shows them available. Anyone good with javascript coding, who is also very determined to get a license, such as perhaps Smitho's friend above, could conceivably create their own browser extension to fish for whatever specific tags they want, from 9am-4pm MST Tue-Fri. And beat anybody else who is waiting for the list to update. Way too late by then. Actually if you had little else to do, you could even fish for them manually for 7 hours a day on those 4 days each week.
I really don’t think a JavaScript snippet could get by the captcha they use. If someone figures out how to trick that captcha, there are probably some super high paying jobs waiting. It’s the same that the big boys use. That’s my opinion.

Actually if you had little else to do, you could even fish for them manually for 7 hours a day on those 4 days each week
I've not used the system so forgive the ignorance...

Would that person pick a hunt they wanted and just repeatedly enter the hunt code in their cart hoping it would go through eventually?

Just not sure how the system works or how people are beating it.

grizzly, yes that is exactly what can be done if you had a lot of time on your hands. Conveniently, they mostly do the updates at 15 minute intervals starting at 7 minutes past the hour.

Founder, maybe not, and I sure haven't done it. But as one example of what's available, this plug-in from ecthros/uncaptcha2 claims 91% reliability at defeating Re-Captcha.

Maybe, but based on what I know and have seen and who’s getting lucky, I don’t think anyone has a secret, easy way to grab the best tags.

Yeah I call BS on the whole cheating the system. Anyone that truly understands how tags are added back to the list knows that there is really no big secret. It is a matter luck and try. I know 3 pretty decent tags that people picked up and all were taken by regular shmoos like my self who just randomly tried and landed a tag.

It is just not going to happen and even if a person figures it out they can get what one license???

Yeah I call BS on the whole cheating the system. Anyone that truly understands how tags are added back to the list knows that there is really no big secret. It is a matter luck and try. I know 3 pretty decent tags that people picked up and all were taken by regular shmoos like my self who just randomly tried and landed a tag.

It is just not going to happen and even if a person figures it out they can get what one license???
So are you guys waiting for the list to pop up or just punching in hunt codes and hoping to get lucky?

Here is my situation,,, I have 3 computer screens at my desk at work. On one of the screens, I have the leftover list open 4 days per week from 9-4. The reissue list refreshes ever 9min. The leftover app alerts you 4 minutes after the list refreshes which is usually too late unless there are multiples of that certain tag. I refresh the list every 9 minutes and have the CPW application open on another screen already filled out. I have been able to score 2 decent tags this year. Like mentioned earlier most decent tags are gone within 20 seconds. Most people including myself can not even fill out the CC info in 20 seconds.

I also invested a little money this year into a guys BOT program that he assured me could get around anything thrown at it. He also charged per tag that I wanted it to watch for.... Needless to say those tags have came and went and I heard nothing. Finally, I asked him WTF? He said he had a lot of people who also want those tags and that I was not on the top of the BOTS waiting list ! Needless to say I will not be doing business with him any longer. :)

Last edited:
The list is 4 minutes behind for example it just updated at 10:17 and the list updated to 10:13..........Next update will be at 10:22, then 10:27, then 10:32 and so on. So comparing the list to the clock it would seem it updates every 9 minutes, but real time it's every 5 minutes.

My question is once the season starts can we no longer purchase a tag that comes up? I've never been able to get one in my cart.

Last edited:
The list is 4 minutes behind for example it just updated at 10:17 and the list updated to 10:13..........Next update will be at 10:22, then 10:27, then 10:32 and so on. So comparing the list to the clock it would seem it updates every 9 minutes, but real time it's every 5 minutes.

My question is once the season starts can we no longer purchase a tag that comes up? I've never been able to get one in my cart.
if the season has already started you have to buy them at CPW office.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom