Unit 444 for mule deer

A

archer17

anybody got any advice, pictures of past harvests, or any knowledge of this unit? I have a 2nd season tag and will be doing a DIY hunt. I appreciate any help I can get!

I've hunted this unit for nearly 30 years. We typically are elk hunting with a "token" deer tag. The particular areas I hunt don't have a lot of deer during 2nd season. I happen to have the same tag this year also (via leftover) but not sure if I'll even go. Generally speaking, we've seen more deer along the southern portion of the unit as opposed to the eastern end which are the two general areas I've hunted. In any case, expect lots of hunters unless you're willing to hike in at least 1-2 hours from the roads. I dread hunting there the 2nd and 3rd seasons due to high volume of nonresidents who often ride ATV's everywhere and really make the hunt overcrowded. Not to be too down on the area though, as we have seen a few really nice bucks but usually way back in off the road via backpacking.

The plan is to backpack in a few miles, would you say black timber is the best bet? Thanks for the info.

I'd say where I've seen more is in aspen areas and also at the edges of the timber at first and last light. Dark timber might not be a bad bet during the day but I've found they can be anywhere. If you can get high enough to get some viewing distance, that can be productive too. I personally only sit the first hour or so and the last hour or so and walk alot, which is probably why they usually spot me first! If I hunt there, it would likely be along the Ruedi Reservoir area just cause I'm most familiar with that. Good luck to you and perhaps I'll run into you. Doug

coloElkman

hello again. Dad had to opportunity to go over there this weekend and look. He went to basalt/christine swa. Apparently there seems to be a problem with finding a place to park. He said there was a small lot for the rifle range, but you cannot leave it there overnight. He made it up to the reservoir, they like the area there and said it was very nice, small campground. So we are going to try and find someplace to enter one of the wilderness areas to get away from the atvs. im going to try and and call the cdow about the parking at the swa though.

thx

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom