Unit 444

Bambam

Hey everyone myself and a few buddies drew unit 444 3rd season. We live in utah and have never hunted in colorado. My question is what kind of terrain are we looking at. We are planning on backpacking in and trying to find a good place to find some bucks. We will be taking a few scouting trips this summer. If anyone is willing to help us out we would be more than willing to help out here in utah if you need some direction on where to go. Mainly we are just curious about the unit itself.

i also drew 444 but second season. im from nebraska and know nothing of this area. any chance i can also get a PM with some info too?

Yep, but I hunted 4th so don't know how relevant my experience would be, especially if you are also looking for elk.

444 has some good terrain to it, not a lot of it is flat. You got the wilderness area, burnt mountain, and there are roads getting you to access points into these areas. Its going to be tough treading in 4th season, and I've not seen a lot of bucks in that area though I've always hunted elk. I've hunted second season only. It'll depend on weather, pressure, and moon phase as to whether you see anything. There are bowls the elk hide in that no one ever venture into just because its off the road. Look at your maps and you'll find a rock slide here and there. Hopefully they trimmed back the number of tags for that area, last time I went there were way too many people. Best of luck to you both.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Thanks everyone for the help. We will be heading down for a scouting trip soon to get a feel for it. One more question would it be wise to bring a atv with us on 3rd season? Or will we be able to access the roads just as easy with our trucks? Thanks again.

The areas I've hunted has ATV restrictions even on main roads because the FS has gotten so many complaints. My opinion would be that an ATV is really a waste of time and effort if you're anywhere along the 400 road between Eagle and Thomasville as you can only use them on roads that can be done with a 4wd vehicle.

I was there opening weekend and saw 1 decent buck taken. Buddies didnt see many animals after hunting thru 2nd Saturday. I have a cow tag 3rd season and they could use some snow as it was reatively dry.

Second season was a complete waste of time. People were everywhere and very few were having any success. We saw a guy with a nice 27 inch buck taken first thing Saturday morning on Burnt Mountain. A few guys took some small bucks in the public ground south of the interstate. We only saw 2 small bucks and a couple decent ones that were hopping the fence to private ground. We talked to a lot of people and no one was seeing anything, not even many does. We hunted almost the entire unit from Burnt Mountain, Fisher Creek, the state ground, south of the interstate, Basalt Mountain and Red Table Road and were out there the whole week. A lot of hiking off the beaten path too but the deer weren't anywhere. Talked to a lot of locals who told us areas where there are supposedly a lot of deer but never saw anything. Right next to Colorado Mountain College were about 12 bucks and some really nice ones but that is all private ground.

Thanks everyone who helped we were all able to harvest deer. It was tough to find them on public but it was a fun hunt. Can't wait till next time

>Thanks everyone who helped we were
>all able to harvest deer.
>It was tough to find
>them on public but it
>was a fun hunt. Can't
>wait till next time

Let's see some pics.

41886fbimg1510362701616.jpg

3387620171106101354.jpg

3937820171106084550.jpg

1852211374.jpeg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom