Unit 45 Bighorn sheep

smokey172

My 13 year old was lucky enough to draw the unit 45 ewe youth hunt. Does anybody have any experience that would be willing to share? I live in the southern half of the state but plan on making as many scouting trips as possible this summer.

Thank you!

I also drew unit 45 BHS and need to get up there to scout. I also live down south but am restricted on travel by my employer. Right now I can only go as far north as Las Cruces until this virus is controlled. August 21st is gonna come up quick.
Mike

Until someone who has hunted it chimes in, check the stats of ram harvests over the years. It should give you a good indication of where to start looking.

Is unit 45 the Pecos?

Until someone who has hunted it chimes in, check the stats of ram harvests over the years. It should give you a good indication of where to start looking.

Is unit 45 the Pecos?

The following is only my opinion.....
Some of you guys know that I am partial to horses.
On this particular hunt(Pecos) I definitely recommend them. I've got into plenty of sheep here. Unless you have a heck of a set of lungs, they're the best way to get into good Rams. Intel helps too..haga

RR yes it is the Pecos
Bugle haven’t ridden horses (pony as a kid yes several years ago) no access to horses. Was planning on getting up there on any of my days off.
Due to my job, unable to travel right now hoping this bs ends pretty quick. This was a complete surprise to me as I got lucky. Only 3rd year I have put in for BHS. Sorry hope I didn’t hurt feelings.?‍♂️ Mike

The original post was about hunting Ewes. I've know 2 guys that have drawn one in the Pecos and the other the Rio Grande and both killed opening day just by staking and walking right up to them. Now a Ram is a different story.

1587788800381.jpeg

I walked right up to this dude, a few of his buds and about 15 of his ladies. It wasn’t the pecos, but close to there. Rocky Bighorns aren’t too skittish. I think the biggest challenge will be coming from a lower altitude part of the state. If your a strong backpacker and have good cardio, you’ll be alright. The horses would make things way easier. Joining NMWSF Would be very wise. Sheep nuts are super helpful with advice and a few will want to assist and help out.

The original post was about hunting Ewes. I've know 2 guys that have drawn one in the Pecos and the other the Rio Grande and both killed opening day just by staking and walking right up to them. Now a Ram is a different story.
Geno, you are correct. My apologies to smokey and his youth. I got carried away.
mike

Geno, you are correct. My apologies to smokey and his youth. I got carried away.
mike
no worries, I am a little intimidated by this hunt and how to make it enjoyable for my son. I want to make this an incredible experience as realistically it is a once in a lifetime thing. Does anyone know if there is anyone in the area that would be willing to pack us in and out? I really didn't think he would draw a tag so now I am kinda scrambling trying to figure out how to be successful. He knows how lucky he is, Believe it or not he also drew the youth billy ibex hunt this year as well. I had the ewe hunt this spring so we know what we are getting into on that one. Anyway thank you guys for the insight!!!

smokey and mcloakey - I had a ram tag in the Pecos in 2019. Did the hunt DIY with no horses and killed a 182+ ram. Saw plenty of ewes up there as well. I'm happy to help and share experiences, advice, and info via PM. Let me know what specific questions you have.

smokey - your boy is in for a great hunt! I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat!

Pecos Ewes.jpg

Call the State sheep biologist Eric Rominger. He's a great guy and will tell you where the bigger ewe herds are. Then look at your access points and determine the distance to hike in and plan your hunt from there.

+1 NMDGF Eric Rominger, Eric is a super cool dude! Worked with him several times trapping Rams from the 53 herd and on the Questa Mine. Eric is more than half sheep himself. He would hike the 53 hills like a big ol' ram!! Cowboy hat, leather shield glasses, red bandana, gaiters and cowboy boots!! Lived with a herd of caribou one winter too! Cool story.

I had that tag a couple years ago. It's not hard... the game and fish send out a map showing exactly where the sheep are. A few people I met in there were hiking but I used horses. It was about 7miles to where I camped. Another 3 to where I shot my ewe. As mentioned, the sheep are not very skittish...

+1 NMDGF Eric Rominger, Eric is a super cool dude! Worked with him several times trapping Rams from the 53 herd and on the Questa Mine. Eric is more than half sheep himself. He would hike the 53 hills like a big ol' ram!! Cowboy hat, leather shield glasses, red bandana, gaiters and cowboy boots!! Lived with a herd of caribou one winter too! Cool story.
He studied the very last herd in the lower 48 before they were no longer.He is by far the coolest guy in the NMDGF. At sheep show in Reno he is a rockstar!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom