Unit 45 elk

Rough country, I live on the east side of the slope by Hermits Peak. I failed to draw here for Deer again. If you want to hunt the Pecos side, alot of roads and road hunters so get off the beaten path, not so many roads on the east side. But still alot of access. Alot of elk either side of the mountains. Get onx because there is alot of private bordering the Forest.

The north side of unit 45 contains thick timber along with what seems like and endless amount of prime elk country depending on how far your willing to pack in. Also, very few dirt roads that will lead you to trail heads. Be prepared to work your tail off!!

37383img0257.jpg

Can get pretty "crowded" in the higher country, lol

I'm from Utah. And I have a heard of horses is this country horse country? What about the rut during that hunt oct 5-9? If it's similiar to here they should be talking a little bit probably not way hot. I was told to try jacks creeks area is there a good enough road that would get a truck and trailer in there?

Unit 45 is nice horse country. The aforementioned Jacks Creek Trailhead (Google Earth is your friend) has a campsite loop with 12'x12' corrals. Some parts of GMU 45 are Wilderness and some parts have plenty of roads to help with access, but no guarantees that there'll be a place to turn around.

Definitely a unit to hunt on horse back! Can make camp some miles back, take a fishing pole ,cuz mountain House is inferior to fresh fish after a long day of hunting! Good elk numbers in there!

Id like to try to reopen this thread. I drew a Deer tag for this Unit and have never been hunting in NM before. I live along the Coast In Texas. Been hiking and Backpacking in New Mexico but never around Unit 45. Never hunted Mule Deer either, so lots of first for me. Any advice, hints, or tips are Welcomed.

It always amazes me how people can put in for units hundreds upon hundreds of miles away and never stepped foot in the unit.....

It was my Wild Card Unit. I put in for two that I am really comfortable with on the southern portion f the state and then I always put in one wildcard, so I can explore new ground. and I just so happen to be drawn for it. I almost forgot that though I have never been in the Pecos Wilderness, some family has a Condo in Angel Fire that we used to make trips to a few times a year. Although I haven't been in Two years.

?It always amazes me how people can put in for units hundreds upon hundreds of miles away and never stepped foot in the unit.....?

You must have a ton of time on your hands if you are able to go scout every unit before you apply. People do this every year, and every year someone like you makes a comment about it, yet here you are amazed it happened again. How about this crazy idea...sometimes people want to go hunt new areas, and even crazier, sometimes they ask for help.

SAD90, send me a PM. I don't hunt 45 but know plenty of people who do that would be more than happy to give you some pointers. Not sure if Tinemaster is from N.M. but if he is, we're not all the same and some of us would be happy to help.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

>It always amazes me how people
>can put in for units
>hundreds upon hundreds of miles
>away and never stepped foot
>in the unit.....

Try it sometime, if you think you're up for the challenge.

"It always amazes me how people can put in for units hundreds upon hundreds of miles away and never stepped foot in the unit....."

This is why the hunting community in general is it's own worse enemy...

I have spent some time in this unit. Steep country with high elevations. Be sure to bring gear to hang your kill in the trees if you have to make multiple trips. Also there are significant bear and cougar in this unit so have a good side arm. PM for more info and I'm happy to help with what knowledge I do have. Good luck and welcome to NM!

Thanks A lot Fellas, I appreciate all the advice and help. PM's were sent. Anxiously awaiting responses. Thank you all again

I live against the eastern slope of 45. My best advice would be for you to hunt the Pecos side towards Elk Mountain. Eastern side is accessible, however, Private lands bordering the Forest. There are few areas to get in from the east. Im glad you drew 45. I have been trying for years. Hard for me to draw rifle here even being a resident.

I have elk hunted this unit four times and there are three things you must have: horses, horses, and horses. The wilderness area is serious back country and it's physically impossible to pack a elk out from where they are regardless of your will power. (Ok I was young and dumb enough at one point to try packing this far lol) I would seriously consider hiring a outfitter. This country will break your spirit if your not properly prepared. And if it snows .............

Also, I have had close encounters with bear and mountain lion. On the deer front, I have seen very few deer, only a handful in the wilderness area, Good luck, this is beautiful country, but serious terrain so be prepAred. Good luck!

Will Power

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

It amazes me even more when you live in the unit and don't step foot in it till the hunt

WTF

Hunt Hard
Live Free
RIP

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom