Unit 48 Elk/Deer

idhikker

Always thinking about next year. This isn't a top unit or anything but it's closer to me than some other possibly better units and I like the terrain. What do you guys think about drawing the unit for a controlled rifle bull tag? The elk density seems decent to pretty good. I don't think the age class is good but I know there are some older bulls, at least a little more than a general unit. What do you think or have you experienced on the rifle especially and archery hunts there. I'm on good terms with the bio and have scouted the unit some.

The crappy thing is there are definitely good units (Pioneer, Beaverhead, Lemhi zones for example) that are not that much harder to draw so it's a hard decision as a resident.

I'm also interested in anyone's experience with the general deer hunt, especially deer numbers and how many people you saw.

PM is probably best. Thanks so much!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-18 AT 05:26AM (MST)[p]I haven't hunted it, but have hiked/backpacked in there during season twice.

My fun rendition of the hippy hunters in 48 and 49:

Brown First Lite get up head to toe, long bow, eats the heart/liver/lungs/bone marrow/kidneys, drives a lesbaru, voted for Hillary. Morel mushroom and man bun beer connoisseur. Exo or Stone Glacier pack, out there for the adventure. :)

So good. I would take those guys over the "Utard" flat bill 10 guy instagram hunting posse. Living in Utah for a while was rough, glad to be done with that forever.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-18 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]You might be more worried about what you look like in the hills than actually being in the hills..

Yours truly,
The Blue Jean Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-18 AT 02:17AM (MST)[p]>Very PC there TW...
>
>Hey, what are you trying to
>say about my pack???

Haha, I actually think each of those products are great. But when assembled together, you end up with......

a Meateater episode.

My experience with the hippy hunters is that they'll backpack in 7 miles and blast a forky, for the adventure.... Which can obviously be a little tough on the age class. Sorry to detail your thread, hopefully someone actually useful can chime in!

48 is tough country to hunt. The normal rules don't apply. As mentioned before, the locals are in great shape and there arn't any places they won't get to. There has been a huge influx of non-residents as well. I was looking at the archery hunts. Elk hunters went from 200ish to over 500. Deer hunters can't be that far off. Age class is suffering, especially after that giant winter two years ago. It wiped 95% of the bucks out. So its decent elk hunting if you draw, but I have watched the odds dip quickly since I last had a tag. That's my experience. Plus, get use to stink eyes when you walk by a hundred rich old ladies walking their poodles.

Just stopped by to show the guys at First Lite this thread. They all shot carmel mocha frappachino out their nose. Got in their perfectly manicured beards....haha

For real though, the first lite guys thought this thread was a classic

Ttt

I loved the joke but I think it's run its course. Anyone have thoughts on 48 deer or elk. PM please. Thanks everyone.

camp crk rd, unit 48....

5205sheeps.jpg

48, 49, 44, 50 are getting pounded, to start way to many over the counter archery hunters , cow elk hunts run from August to December, then you get the over the counter deer hunts and let's throw in the the 2nd deer tag holders that think it is important to shoot two immature bucks. Social media has played a big part in drawing a lot of hunters to this area. There are some great bulls around, your biggest challenge is going to be weaving around all the guys in there first lite pajamas.

>48, 49, 44, 50 are getting
>pounded, to start way to
>many over the counter archery
>hunters , cow elk hunts
>run from August to December,
>then you get the over
>the counter deer hunts and
>let's throw in the the
>2nd deer tag holders that
>think it is important to
>shoot two immature bucks. Social
>media has played a big
>part in drawing a lot
>of hunters to this area.
>There are some great bulls
>around, your biggest challenge is
>going to be weaving around
>all the guys in there
>first lite pajamas.

I agree, and posts like this one only make it worse. (Original poster). Drives me crazy when people put unit numbers in the title.

If you do end up hunting this unit, please, may I beg of you,

don't wrap your tenderloins in caul fat and cook it over a campfire....

On the next episode we are going to show you how to make a Willy Warmer out of a skinned back Elk leg so you and your pal can have fun in your pup tent.

>If you do end up hunting
>this unit, please, may I
>beg of you,
>
>don't wrap your tenderloins in caul
>fat and cook it over
>a campfire....

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!
Steve Rinella i'm sure would get a chuckle.
PB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom