Unit 49 Elk 1st Rifle-13 points

crcountry

Hello MM Community-

Anyone draw this hunt over the past couple years that would be willing to chat off-line? With the amount of points it taking, I cant imagine any of us NR will be hunting this more than 1x.

Buffalo Peaks? Wilderness? east side of divide? I'm lining up a packer and other logistics if I can get a reasonable idea of situation/pack in ideas.

I contacted Huntin Fool and they have 3 NR's who have drawn this tag. Trying to get a call into them as well.

Thanks
Chris 410-404-0707

It will be interesting to see how the area of the Weston Pass fire (July '18) recovers. I would expect lots of new growth there, which is north and east of the wilderness area and a bit of the east edge of the Wilderness. Also, road closures in Pony Park area lasted all through hunting season this fall, so hunting pressure there was much less.

I hunted first rifle back in 2013. My brother came with me along with four of our trusted horses. I had 9 points at that time. We packed back in about 8 miles. Coldest hunt I've been on. I started a fire before we even had the horses unsaddled. Anyways. We saw few bulls and didn't hear any bugling that year. We went in 2 days prior to the hunt. I ended up taking a 5x5. It was a fun hunt. I think bigger bulls 300? plus are the exception and not the rule. Cool country and I'd go back and might in a year or two on the second rifle hunt. Good luck!!

I agree with your statement on unit 76. I hunted unit 49 in 2013 and it was a fun hunt. We seen over 80 animals at a time above timberline, but only seen one good bull (300+). I've never hunted unit 76, but have vacationed there during the summers and the quality of bull appears to be much better. If given the opportunity, and points, I'd hunt unit 76. Just my two cents. By the way, halfmoon outfitters out of Leadville was a top notch outfitter that we used for a drop camp service.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom