Unit 501 Elk

coolewahee

I was able to draw an archery elk tag in Unit 501 this year. Anyone hunted the archery tag in this unit? Never hunted Colorado and just starting to study the maps for this unit. I'm just a poor ole redneck from Georgia and need all the help I can get!

How many points did it take you to draw? It’s a giant unit with diverse habitats, I’m familiar. Have hunted Turks and predators in it extensively, but with points are what they are for it haven’t hunted elk in it.

Best advice is go as late into the season possible to try and time the rut as best as possible. That country has some very thick/dense timber. Can be absolutely brutal tough if you can’t get them talking to chase bugles.

I didn’t go on the trip but some friends hunted 500 next to 501 and said 100% of the elk were way high at tree line

501’s alpine is deep in the wilderness for the most part… 500 and 501 are close to each other but 500 is way more alpine. There will be bulls in the alpine zone for sure but I’d focus on dark timber more in 501. I’d say it’s an okay unit for out of state 6 points, I wouldn’t get your expectations too crazy high with trophy potential. Huntin fool says all kinds of stuff but just be realistic with expectations and hunt hard. Should be fun, good luck man

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom