Unit 51-1 Elk Hunt Summary

Buzzy

I burned my points to get into this unit on a guided hunt. I killed a nice bull and the weather was tough as it was too warm. I thought I did my due diligence on my outfitter but man I was wrong. I have been on enough outfitted hunts to know how they should be and this was far from it. First time I was just happy to get out of camp and be done with the hunt. If anyone wants to know who to stay away from send me a PM.

I’m going to hold off on pics for now but he was a 320 type of 6x6. Don’t get me wrong that I’m happy with my bull. But very little was delivered on what was paid for. Way to many hunters and very few guides.

Anyone curious to see the elk can go look at the elk contest going on in the elk forum right now. Not sure what difference it makes to post it in one spot, and not the other.

These threads kind of drive me nuts. If you have a real problem with an outfitter, including specific issues you feel need to be improved upon, post up the info. As of right now, we have no idea if you’re just a pain in the ass client, or if you have valid reasons to be upset. If it’s that bad, wouldn’t you want the info to be public in case someone that googles the outfitter down the road might be able to find this thread and know to steer clear of who you used?

These threads kind of drive me nuts. If you have a real problem with an outfitter, including specific issues you feel need to be improved upon, post up the info. As of right now, we have no idea if you’re just a pain in the ass client, or if you have valid reasons to be upset. If it’s that bad, wouldn’t you want the info to be public in case someone that googles the outfitter down the road might be able to find this thread and know to steer clear of who you used?
Fully agree. Either shut up and not complain or give the details and examples. Especially since there are tons of others who may avoid the same issues with the same outfit.

Hunts I’ve spent a winter planning never go the way I imagine them. I could only imagine how a guided hunt would go.

Probably for the better he doesn’t post the outfitter. Two sides to every story and based on what we’ve been shown I’m taking the outfitters side.

Anyone curious to see the elk can go look at the elk contest going on in the elk forum right now. Not sure what difference it makes to post it in one spot, and not the other.
Not sure what I was thinking. Will have to try to fix that. ?

You have a point but I don't feel like splashing all the details so people can jump on the topic and take it in all kinds of directions. If someone is looking at that unit and doing their due diligence they can contact me if they like and make up their own mind.

I'll give an example of one of the issues. The hunt was sold as a 1x1 hunt. It ended up anywhere between 2x1 to 4x1. I'm not sure if 4x1 is even legal in Wyoming but that's what it was. Oh, and lets have multiple hunters shoot at the same elk at the same time.

Before you go guided make sure you do your research. I know crandall creek outfitters would of taken care of you. K-barz could be an ok choice just depends who your guide is.

I have seen some dandys come out of area 51.

Before you go guided make sure you do your research. I know crandall creek outfitters would of taken care of you. K-barz could be an ok choice just depends who your guide is.

Which outfitter offers the highest point curve? The OP’s outfitter gives a 20 point curve…

I totally agree and I did do a lot of research on outfitters. Nothing negative came up from the game warden in the unit, biologist, and searches on several forums. I did talk to Crandall Creek and they were at the top of the list but obviously I made a poor choice.

You have a point but I don't feel like splashing all the details so people can jump on the topic and take it in all kinds of directions. If someone is looking at that unit and doing their due diligence they can contact me if they like and make up their own mind.

I'll give an example of one of the issues. The hunt was sold as a 1x1 hunt. It ended up anywhere between 2x1 to 4x1. I'm not sure if 4x1 is even legal in Wyoming but that's what it was. Oh, and lets have multiple hunters shoot at the same elk at the same time.
I believe a licensed professional guide can have up to six hunters under their control at the same time in Wyoming.

Your case against this outfitter looks a little shady by the post you made on the elk forum. You made it sound like you had a wonderful time on one post and got screwed by the outfitter on the other. Picture on one post, no picture on the other. You shouldn't have embellished on the score either, any bull is a good bull in my book.

I believe a licensed professional guide can have up to six hunters under their control at the same time in Wyoming.

Your case against this outfitter looks a little shady by the post you made on the elk forum. You made it sound like you had a wonderful time on one post and got screwed by the outfitter on the other. Picture on one post, no picture on the other. You shouldn't have embellished on the score either, any bull is a good bull in my book.
I see your point and I requested that post to be removed. As I said I’m happy with the bull I shot. It was my decision to pull the trigger. I also explained to you in a PM a few of the issues that I encountered. I guess we can agree to disagree if you don’t feel what occurred on my hunt as being screwed as you may like paying for something that you never received. But being sold a 1x1 and getting between a 2x1 to 4/1 while in the field is just plain BS.

I in no way embellished the score. This was the estimate of the guide. I have never scored a bull and maybe I’ll pull up a video and learn what needs to be done.

I see your point and I requested that post to be removed. As I said I’m happy with the bull I shot. It was my decision to pull the trigger. I also explained to you in a PM a few of the issues that I encountered. I guess we can agree to disagree if you don’t feel what occurred on my hunt as being screwed as you may like paying for something that you never received. But being sold a 1x1 and getting between a 2x1 to 4/1 while in the field is just plain BS.

I in no way embellished the score. This was the estimate of the guide. I have never scored a bull and maybe I’ll pull up a video and learn what needs to be done.
I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that I don't think you got "screwed". If you were sold a 1x1 hunt and were given different, that's not right. I hope you had a sit down with the outfitter and tried to hash it out.

Guides exaggerate sometimes on score, maybe a happier client tips better??‍♂️

I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that I don't think you got "screwed". If you were sold a 1x1 hunt and were given different, that's not right. I hope you had a sit down with the outfitter and tried to hash it out.

Guides exaggerate sometimes on score, maybe a happier client tips better??‍♂️
Got ya and I’m sorry if i took it the wrong way. I thought about having a discussion with him but after a few days I didn’t think it would go in a good direction so I didn’t want a confrontation. Maybe I should have just done that.

I did take the time and pulled up a scoring video. At best it’s a 300” bull with my measuring. I think the mass makes it look bigger than it is. I do have a better idea now on scoring but still have a long ways to go in that department. Normally it doesn’t matter but in this unit I was trying for a lot bigger bull.

Things happen sometimes in camp...a guide gets sick or quits. So I can see a 1x1 turning into a 2x1...but turning into a 3x1 to 6x1 is wrong. That's why I don't book outfitters I haven't hunted with personally and consider the cream of the crop. Though not always possible it's always best to hunt with an outfitter a buddy has hunted with recently.

Can you explain what you mean by this SS!? Thanks
Buzzy,
No problem! The point curve in hunting is similar but different none the less to what is used by schools or colleges. It’s a simplified version that anyone can calculate.

The point curve is how much is added on to an animals actual score. In the case of the bull in the original post it appears the outfitter is using a 20 point curve. How we get to this is the bull while not officially scored is likely in the 300” range. The outfitter told him 320-330. This is where it gets tricky. You could say it’s a 30 point curve because 300 + 30 BUT that is not the case. What you are seeing here is called the hunter curve. The hunter added the 10 points. It’s pretty common but can be confusing.

In summary we have a 300 gross bull, with a 20 point outfitter curve and a 10 point hunter curve. 300+20+10 = 330. I’d say a 20 point outfitter curve is pretty standard. Hunter curves vary greatly depending on situation and hunter.

The point curve system also can be converted into miles walk and weight packed. On another thread a couple days back this guy killed a dink buck and tried to say his pack weighed 120 on the pack out. He was using the almost mythical 40 point curve.

Hope this explains it.

51 used to be a don't even have to put in , and just pick up a leftover.

Now it's a point burner. How times have changed.

Buzzy,
No problem! The point curve in hunting is similar but different none the less to what is used by schools or colleges. It’s a simplified version that anyone can calculate.

The point curve is how much is added on to an animals actual score. In the case of the bull in the original post it appears the outfitter is using a 20 point curve. How we get to this is the bull while not officially scored is likely in the 300” range. The outfitter told him 320-330. This is where it gets tricky. You could say it’s a 30 point curve because 300 + 30 BUT that is not the case. What you are seeing here is called the hunter curve. The hunter added the 10 points. It’s pretty common but can be confusing.

In summary we have a 300 gross bull, with a 20 point outfitter curve and a 10 point hunter curve. 300+20+10 = 330. I’d say a 20 point outfitter curve is pretty standard. Hunter curves vary greatly depending on situation and hunter.

The point curve system also can be converted into miles walk and weight packed. On another thread a couple days back this guy killed a dink buck and tried to say his pack weighed 120 on the pack out. He was using the almost mythical 40 point curve.

Hope this explains it.
I must be going crazy. From my experience this all made perfect sense to me. I’ve known for a long time that the way for an outfitter to kill a lot of 330 bulls is to make sure no one measures any of them.

Some outfitters always forget the tape, Dang left it at Home he must be at least 330 o_O With a good horn stretcher maybe , but usually he dried down to they get him home and he is a 310 ;)

Buzzy,

Hope this explains it.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom