Unit 51 Antelope Advice

NPHunter

Guys I got lucky and got an alternate tag for Unit 51 archery horns longer than ears antelope tag. I’m not familiar with the area and would love any pointers or advice from anyone that has hunted it. I put in because I was hoping to draw the early archery deer tag and though it would be fun to have both. I have my fingers crossed that someone turns one of those back as well:)

I’ve hunted antelope with my bow in Southern Oregon and have hunted mule deer in the trout creeks which is pretty close to 51, I assume antelope distribution will be similar to the trout creeks in which i saw a pile of antelope last fall.
I’m planning on going early August, season starts Aug 1st, I have good glass and plan to sit water unless I see something in a stackable location.
I would love to hear from anyone who has hunted the area, tips, terrain, a starting point. I hope to be able to make it down in July to scout the area out.

Thanks in advance.

I'd concentrate on the northeast corner of the unit. I have also seen a really big antelope buck on the west foothills of the Santa Rosas so that might be worth checking. -----SS

I have never hunted pronghorn in that country, but I have seen plenty when scouting deer in the Santa Rosas. I have seen quite a few good-sized, solitary bucks up high on the mountains, usually bedded on grassy ridges. There are undoubtedly many more in the low country, but don't overlook the high ground for a potential sleeper. Good luck. You will definitely find animals--the only question is, how large?

No info on your unit, but I hunted unit 32/34 years ago. Seemed all the good bucks I found were up high. Area I was in had a lot of water. Not sure if the head to higher ground due to pressure from hunters, or just a trait learned over the years. Just seems live antelope bucks in Nevada like to be high up to get better sight advantage.

Not familiar with the area so put it as first choice, seems legit
Thanks for the bump and positive words! I've hunted right across the border and have been down there several times just on the OR side. This is the first year I've applied in NV and wanted to apply for a tag that I could make it down and scout also one I had a good chance at drawing since I love hunting and not just throwing my money away trying to draw some OIL tag.

If you ever decide you want to hunt in OR and get a tag, I'd be happy to help, just like I've helped hundreds of other people on forums like this one over the years.

No info on your unit, but I hunted unit 32/34 years ago. Seemed all the good bucks I found were up high. Area I was in had a lot of water. Not sure if the head to higher ground due to pressure from hunters, or just a trait learned over the years. Just seems live antelope bucks in Nevada like to be high up to get better sight advantage.
Thank You, I've heard several people mention that and that is actually kind of what I saw last fall in the Trout Creeks, lots of antelope up on top, but, that is also where I spend the whole season deer hunting so I'm not sure what was low. I will defiantly make a trip over the mountains while I'm down there.

It's been a long time ago but there were lots of antelope all around Table Mountain in the norther end. A good campground close with water and cottonwoods.

Had an awesome Nevada Archery Antelope hunt with my son! Blew several stalks the first day and found a nice remote waterhole that was being used a lot. We ended up setting up a blind in the willows and sitting in the blind about 1.5hrs. My first animal from a stand of any sort.
The buck was quartered toward me, I held on the shoulder and made a great hit. He only went about 30 yards, stood there and fell over. All the other antelope stayed and watched him until we left the blind. Was awesome having my boy there ranging for me!! Can’t wait for the opportunity to go back!!

788B930F-FA76-4888-B9F9-07287AF4ADAA.jpeg

663C6CC2-6A99-463F-A27C-9673A88A5199.jpeg

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom