Unit 51 -Update

V

VP

Spent Sept 4 thru the 16 in NM Unit 51. The first week was pretty slow in terms of Bulls sounding off. Mostly in the evenings right at dark and a few at sunrise. Couldnt do much with them thou. The last 4 days we hunted were by far the best. The hightlight of the trip was a tremendous Muley my buddy took. We ended up taking 2 4x4 rag horns and 2 cows with 5 hunters. Not bad for the first trip. Great experience & I think I'm officailly an Elkoholic!

48d7838666a89483.jpg

48d783f5684bcbf4.jpg

Sounds and looks like a great hunt man, congrats! That is a great buck and any elk is a good elk in my book. Sounds like a serious lack of freezer space in your camp. You guys have done much better than most here in NM this year.

Nice animals, i have the first rifle hunt in 51 hopefully i can get a onto a bull like that we plan to hunt the trout lakes road where were ya'll huntin at?

With help from some good feedback from several guys on this website we mainly hunted between the Trout lakes area and 15 Springs. There's a Gy-normous canyon that runs north/south just east of Trout lakes...Spent allot of time in there but it's rough getting any game out of it because it's all walk-in... close to 2 miles and the temps were up in the 80's during the day.... meat care was always a concern..But we had "NO" people to tend with...The only person we saw in 2 wks was a sheep farmer and his dog running his sheep in a big park..
I can honestly say thats the most beautiful country I've ever laid eyes on....Makes me want to move Especially after hearing that 1st Bugle from a hundred yards or so....Sends chills up your spine

I'll post some more pics later

..The
>only person we saw in
>2 wks was a sheep
>farmer and his dog running
>his sheep in a big
>park..

Was it an older black and white sheepdog that smiled?
Swear to God...the sheep herder's dog would visit our camp. We named him smiley...He'd wag his tail and show his front teeth like a racoon..no B.S.! He got into my buddy's dry box...We ended up feeding that dog our leftover breakfast burritos with a little xtra fire sauce mixed in. He came back for more the next day. I'm sure he gassed the sheep herder all night.
Let me know if the dog you saw fit my description I'd sure like to know if smiley was still around.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom