Unit 51

newguy

I drew a moose tag for unit 51 and I was trying to get a little help on what to expect,
If anyone has had this tag in the past I would love to hear how it went, it is my understanding that there are not a ton of moose but there are some. I am planning on focusing my attention on the lower elevations in the north end of the unit but am open to any suggestions.

I know that this is a popular archery elk zone so if you have hunted in the past and seen moose it would be great to hear were they were. I am planning on hunting the last week of September so if anyone will be elk hunting at that time and wants to share contact info to try and help each other out I would be happy to pass on any information on elk sightings I may encounter

Also how are the roads, I am was hoping to leave the ATV at home but if the roads get slimy in the rain it's not a big deal to bring it,

If anyone has any other general information on the unit that may be helpful it would also be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Congrats on the tag, but you sure picked a tough one. Low numbers, low success, and small antler average. The only moose I ever see in that area at all are down in the river bottom and always on the private hay fields. Almost impossible to get permission to hunt on them, but you can try. Hope you are successful. I have seen a couple on the North side of Hawley Mt in the past, and a few years ago there were a few up Sawmill Canyon back at the back. The hunt planner on IDFG website should have interactive maps you can use to find all the roads, and sat photos will be good for ideas where the crops are. I would definitely be calling the biologist for the unit and trying to get some more info. Good luck!!!

I deer hunted it a few times in the paat and Blank pretty much covered what we saw. We did see a few including a small bull on the creek bottom near the road up to cedar canyon I think its called.

I hunted this archery elk in 2019 and saw a couple of bull moose. One nice one I have video's on my phone and another smaller one, However I saw them both driving from one area to another. Be happy to share the info but I just saw them driving around and was there almost two weeks.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me, I will give it hell one way or the other.

Callsalot if you remember the general area you saw them that will be great, if not then no sweat.

Blank, I will definitely be putting a call into the biologist.

Thanks

Mark

I've seen a few moose on Nov Elk rifle hunts, and I hate to say they were all at 8000'. Not a fun pack out. But my sample size is small.

didn't even know 51 had a moose tag. i had a camera in 51 for 1 year straight, not one picture of a moose.

why did you put in for this tag with no knowledge of the area? not sure about you but id probably eat the tag over whatever little bull you might find in there. at least then you don't burn your once in a life time moose tag for the state and could continue to put in for better units.

I've hunted 51 a few times for speed goats and did not see moose but my experience hunting moose both in the panhandle of Idaho and Washington is to hunt up high and glass.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me, I will give it hell one way or the other.

Callsalot if you remember the general area you saw them that will be great, if not then no sweat.

Blank, I will definitely be putting a call into the biologist.

Thanks

Mark
If I had a map in front of me I can tell you exactly where I saw them. I can also tell you where the grizzly was I ran into! Keep after me to get a map in front of me and I'd be happy to PM you with the locations.

If I had a map in front of me I can tell you exactly where I saw them. I can also tell you where the grizzly was I ran into! Keep after me to get a map in front of me and I'd be happy to PM you with the locations.
Fish and game bio assured me there are no grizzlies in 51....

Haha, you're funny. Hope you're joking. I can tell you for a fact that they have roamed all the way from Spencer to Reno Point, and it would be nothing for them to go up and over Eight Mile into Little Lost

Not joking. Not saying I believe it but that’s exact what the local bio told me so I assume it’d be F&G viewpoint. No grizzlies in there.

No your correct I got going to fast and thought I was still on the Wyoming forum. There are a lot of grizzlies in 51 Wyoming. My apologies.
I’m actually pretty sure blank is right. Though I’ve not seen any in there I have no reason to believe grizzlies don’t wonder through the little lost

TQ, thanks I will check it out.

JPicket, Thanks for your suggestion but I will probably go for it. Not to worried about a trophy mostly in it for the adventure. If I really wanted to shoot a giant I would go much farther north. I went for a unit with a reasonable chance to draw, if I get one I will try for sheep or deer and elk in the future.

Mark

TQ, thanks I will check it out.

JPicket, Thanks for your suggestion but I will probably go for it. Not to worried about a trophy mostly in it for the adventure. If I really wanted to shoot a giant I would go much farther north. I went for a unit with a reasonable chance to draw, if I get one I will try for sheep or deer and elk in the future.

Mark
Bird in the hand. If you don't fill the tag you can apply again. There in there, but not everywhere. Good thing is that they sure stand out.

Good luck.

I have been on 2 Moose hunts in Idaho mine and a friends, and the best time to go is the first week of October, during prime rut. Good Luck, and let us no how you did.

Yep, prime time seems to be Sept 25th thru Oct 10th for rut activity. Nov 1st for secondary rut, cold weather, and them staying out all day.

Thanks for all the replies, I am going up the last week of September, I am really looking forward to it even though it sounds like it might be a tough hunt. I will let you know how it goes.

Mark

I drew a moose tag for unit 51 and I was trying to get a little help on what to expect,
If anyone has had this tag in the past I would love to hear how it went, it is my understanding that there are not a ton of moose but there are some. I am planning on focusing my attention on the lower elevations in the north end of the unit but am open to any suggestions.

I know that this is a popular archery elk zone so if you have hunted in the past and seen moose it would be great to hear were they were. I am planning on hunting the last week of September so if anyone will be elk hunting at that time and wants to share contact info to try and help each other out I would be happy to pass on any information on elk sightings I may encounter

Also how are the roads, I am was hoping to leave the ATV at home but if the roads get slimy in the rain it's not a big deal to bring it,

If anyone has any other general information on the unit that may be helpful it would also be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Mark
I've archery hunted elk there quite a bit sawmill canyon specifically usually see a few in the willows just above the ranger station on bull creek

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom