Unit 52 muleys

HeavyMetalHunter

I hear 52 is good for elk, but I was wondering how the deer situation is. Putting in with my brother in law who has never harvested big game. So I'm going to try my hardest to help him out. A starting point would be nice, as broad or narrow as you guys wanna get.

Very poor deer herd these days. I would recommend you guys use your choice in another unit. There could be a few decent bucks but they are very far and few between! The unit def isn't what it use to be and that goes for the elk too. Hope this is helpful
~Master the Tines~

X2! You will look long and hard to find a decent buck. There are a couple there but seem extremely rare. The last couple years I don't think I even saw a legal buck during elk and antelope hunts.
Everyone sees the giant rio arriba county bucks and they apply for this unit. THIS ISNT the unit theyre coming from. They are farther west in rio arriba county. That's where I would apply. Good luck...the deadline nears........

Heavy MH Looks like you are new here... do a unit 52 search for previous posts. This will tell you all you need to know. 52 pretty much sucks for Deer. Last time I hunted it for Deer (2010) logged 52 miles of boot leather and never even saw a Buck track. Saw lots of Elk and 2 very nice Bears. Only a handful of Doe.
Jack

I hunt 52 every year for elk, deer, antelope, turkey, yotes, sheds ect... and I haven't seen a buck in the past 3 years during any of the hunts I've been on. Few does here and there but nothing to say this unit has a good deer herd whatsoever! A bit disappointed actually in the elk herd as well. I agree with timemaster above that this unit is going downhill.

Hey yeah I'm new to posting but I've been hanging out and reading MM for awhile. Thanks guys, I'm sad to hear that it's not as good as I was hopping. But it won't keep us from hunting our asses off. Plus I hear it's beautiful country.

HMH Sounds like yer gona go for it.... GL I would try the VERY northern part of 52 or the top of San Antonio Mt.
Jack

First of all, hope you draw. I second everything everybody else has posted and definitely agree with Cosmic Cowboy's input. If you draw, contact me and can provide additional starting points.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom