unit 53 elk opinion?

schmalts

What is your opinion of the quality and quantity of unit 53?
Maybe compared to 52? I am tagless this year, and thinking about a landowner tag in 53 but never hunted it, but have hunted the Gila and 52.
Bad year for draws... no elk tag in 5 states....

53 is a real good unit and just knowing some of your history , schmalts , you'll do well. Theres maybe not as many elk as 52 but seems to grow bulls a bit bigger , but the unit is smaller and for the better part a bit rougher as well.I'd take a 53 elk tag in a heart beat.

>53 is a real good unit
>and just knowing some of
>your history , schmalts ,
>you'll do well. Theres maybe
>not as many elk as
>52 but seems to grow
>bulls a bit bigger ,
>but the unit is smaller
>and for the better part
>a bit rougher as well.I'd
>take a 53 elk tag
>in a heart beat.
Thanks! i am shopping for something to do this fall... all I have so far is one lope tag, one lope tag that should be drawn in WY, and deer in my own state (yuk)

Me and a friend hunted 53 once about 6 years ago, we were tagless and landowner tags were relatively cheap. The unit seems to have a mixed reputation, and in our experience it sucked. A few hunters we talked to said they had a great hunt the previous year, but were having the same luck as we had that year, which was bad. We scouted 2 days, and hunted hard the full 5 days, and I never layed eyes on elk hide, my buddy saw one small herd of cows. Country looked great, and we found some fresh sign (but not that much), but all indications were a lot of elk went north into private land and east into Valle Vidal at the first sign of hunting pressure. There was quite a bit of pressure from guys on horses, more than I've seen in other places I've hunted. I also had two encounters with A-holes from the Rio Costillia Landowner Asscociation that helped ruin the mood (I was on public land).

Anyway, it was a very poor elk hunt for us, I would personally rather hunt 6C than 53, and the 3 hunts I've had on 52 were much better, no comparison. Well, that's just my experience/opinion, I'm sure you will find others, hopefully some better, Good luck!

JR

Hunted 2nd rifle last year and buddies hunted 1st. Buddies were very frustrated with people everywhere and even ran into one group that had had their trailer vandalized by competition. I worked the wilderness areas a little more and had one long shot untaken and saw one nice bull at distance. I too found horse camps in several places just when I thought I had escaped the crowds. Beautiful country and I think an archery tag might be a different story. I'd consider doing it again archery, but not if I could find something decent with a few less hunters.

I drew this unit for the second rifle hunt and have heard mixed reviews. I am currently developing my scouting plan and looking for some tips in the area, that vandalism story doesn't sound good. Any sort of information would be great! Thanks!

We purchsed some archery LO tags for this unit and it will be our first time. We have hunted 45 (Pecos Wilderness), but never been to 53, so we are researching hard. I have reviewed all of the threads on this unit all the way back through the archives and I knew it is a tough unit, but dang, almost no positive reports on this unit, other than one of the posts above. My only hope is that alot of the negative threads were rifle hunters and perhaps the archery hunt has less traffic and maybe a better quality hunt????? Any thoughts? We do the back counrty hunt with our camp on our back and hunt hard, but getting pretty worried about the bad feedback on 53. I did see one pretty good thread on another site, where a guy killed a nice bull in 53 last year, I think. Anyhow, would welocme any thoughts on hunting this unit during the archery season, doing a mobile back country hunt for about 7 days. Sound like beautiful country, but I can't tell if the elk numbers stink or if the vertical nature of this unit is the deal breaker or perahps both! The success rate for archery elk is one of the lowest too! Any thoughts and/or inspiration would be appreciated!

Thanks,

WillPower

I hunted there 3-years ago and it was hot and wet. I hunted harder than ever on any other bow hunt and saw only 2-cows. I hunted Greeny Peak and over by the mine. Every hunter I spoke with saw zip. When I scouted I saw to rag horn bulls on the NE side of Latir. I personnaly will never hunt it again. If you had pack horses and could get on top of Wheeler maybe better? Good luck!

Huntng1,

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like we better prepare for a tough hunt. Did you camp in the in the wilderness or did you camp off a road and walk in and out each day? We are planning on a back country approach and will have our camp on our back, so will be mobile and camping wherever each night. Do you think this will be helpful having this flexibility? What days were you in there during your hunt? Thanks for your help.

WP

I got an archery tag. I will give it a shot, who knows, It may be a good hunt. I am going to go the second half of the season like the 12th-21st

I'll be there Sept 5-22nd...I camp near Midnight Meadows, but drive out everyday to get to the elk. Spent the last 2 years hunting the unit and I finally got it figured out. Just got to put your time in.

Thanks for any and all info and the PM's. I will be more than likely solo on this hunt. If anyone has any more info, shoot me a PM, maybe if your bored you can come up for a weekend and camp out as well, i could always use a caller for the extra advantage.
Has anyone hunted the ranches that sold the LO permits?
PM me please

We looked at the ranch we got the permit from, owned by a little old lady, older than dirt, looked tougher than nails.

But it was all lower elevation, wide open terrain, winter range I guess. But you can hunt ANY ranch that sell UW permits in that unit, for what it's worth.

>We looked at the ranch we
>got the permit from, owned
>by a little old lady,
>older than dirt, looked tougher
>than nails.
>
>But it was all lower elevation,
>wide open terrain, winter range
>I guess. But you
>can hunt ANY ranch that
>sell UW permits in that
>unit, for what it's worth.
>

Must have been "Opal"... she sounded older than dirt on the phone.

Schmalts, come on now, she didn't sound that old did she? In fact she called me again this morning............. Keep an eye out for us in 53, we will be driving a green f250 crew cab with virginia tags. At least hopefully we will be driving it, could be someone else based on the multiple "warnings" that I have had regarding vandalism in this unit. We will be hunting September 12-22.

WillPower

That was who we bought our LO tag from as well. We hunted the early archery hunt and did go in and out of the Wilderness. The best country I got into was near the mine. Good luck!

I know 53 very well and I think its a great unit!
The biggest issue that I'm picking up from hunters is that they're not hunting the right areas.
An HD or Q unit can also produce a terrible hunt and success is never a guarantee.
If you want to be successful in this unit you will need to get away from the roads.
The unit has good elk populations and big bulls can be found, but you will need to be in decent shape to get around the steep terrain and high elevations.
I shot a very nice 355 bull during the archery season and only ran into one other hunter over the course of 7 days.
He had also filled his tag with a cow.
Some friends were also very successful during the rifle season with another big bull that had 22+ inch G1's
If you hunt areas with easy access and roads you will find beautiful country and not very many elk.
A bit of homework or hunting with someone that knows the area is a good idea.
As far as the Vandalism is concerned....It's something that none of us want to deal with but it is happening everywhere....I have been hearing stories of vandalism in the Gila and other popular units in the past 2 years.
Make it a point to avoid any hostile hunters and if conflict occurs then move to a different spot because it is not worth ruining your trip over ignorant individuals.
Everyone will have different hunting tactics and different approaches so everyone will have a different opinion on units based on their personal experiences.
the best way to know a unit and to be successful each year is to consistently hunt that game unit and get to know it in and out or hunt with a guide.
Homework, homework, homework!
and not just internet homework.
The web is filled with spray.
Most of the hunters that know NM game units best and have harvested magnificent animals do not participate in forums like this.
I myself have started to refrain from posting on forums because of the negativity, gossip and competition that can surface from these sites.
I am however an advocate of sharing productive information and helping out my fellow hunters that are not able to scout areas like unit 53 because of lifes obligations or living in other states.

Kevin-

I commented on your awesome bull last year, he is a great bull and again congratulations on taking him. In fact, I sent you a PM on the other site a week or so ago, but they recently changed it or something and I have not figured out how to read or send PM's on the updated system, so I will shoot you a PM here. Thanks for your post.

WillPower

We just got back from 53 Wednesday night and I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this unit, especially the folks that I exchanged PM's with. I am not sure how Schmalts and the other guys did, but we had a fantastic hunt. We did not kill, but passed on some and just could not close on the ones we wanted, although dang close. Tremendous country and the altitude was a factor, but we worked out like never before, prior to this hunt and spent 9 nights in this country. Again, many thanks to those of you who responded and I will gladly share information with those who helped us going forward. I have killed elk in OR, MT and NM, so please do not hesitate to PM me going forward. With respect to 53, I am very confident that we will kill next time in, but this is really secondary on my hunts now a days. One consistent on the feedback, this is without a doubt fantastic and tough country, not for the faint of heart elk hunter by any means. Thanks again for your feedback as you helped us have a great elk hunt.

WillPower

PS - Bugling was very slow, made it hard, but this did not stop us from hunting hard and getting in close, several times.........

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

This made year number 3 for me in 53. Paid off as I got my 6x6 and awesome bear! Gettin to go is better than not gettin to go at all.

Hunt1 - Awesome job on the double. Post some pics if you get a chance. We passed on a small 5x5 and we had a small 6x6 with a rag and some cows that we declined to pursue. The other opportunities were soooo close, but will get it done next time. Now that we know more about this unit, I am very confident we will kill a good bull next time in. Again, congratulations on your elk and bear. We did not see any bear and very little sign. We had a great hunt in some great country, but to most everyone's point, tough--tough country!

WillPower

I ended up going a week earier than planned due to a hunt conflict in another state. The bugle was slow, but I did get into a few bulls. Some smaller bulls still sported shreds of velvet. I got busted and took a fast guessing distance shot and shot over the back of a good 6X. Oh well, there is always next time. It is a tough and rugged unit for sure. All in all it is better than most any OTC Colorado hunt IMO. I did learn a few good spots that I will keep a secret for next time

Yeah Scmalts, after 12 days in this unit, we logged many nice secret spots too...........big bulls down next time in 53!

WillPower

I know 53 very well and I think its a great unit!
The biggest issue that I'm picking up from hunters is that they're not hunting the right areas.
An HD or Q unit can also produce a terrible hunt and success is never a guarantee.
If you want to be successful in this unit you will need to get away from the roads.
The unit has good elk populations and big bulls can be found, but you will need to be in decent shape to get around the steep terrain and high elevations.
I shot a very nice 355 bull during the archery season and only ran into one other hunter over the course of 7 days.
He had also filled his tag with a cow.
Some friends were also very successful during the rifle season with another big bull that had 22+ inch G1's
If you hunt areas with easy access and roads you will find beautiful country and not very many elk.
A bit of homework or hunting with someone that knows the area is a good idea.
As far as the Vandalism is concerned....It's something that none of us want to deal with but it is happening everywhere....I have been hearing stories of vandalism in the Gila and other popular units in the past 2 years.
Make it a point to avoid any hostile hunters and if conflict occurs then move to a different spot because it is not worth ruining your trip over ignorant individuals.
Everyone will have different hunting tactics and different approaches so everyone will have a different opinion on units based on their personal experiences.
the best way to know a unit and to be successful each year is to consistently hunt that game unit and get to know it in and out or hunt with a guide.
Homework, homework, homework!
and not just internet homework.
The web is filled with spray.
Most of the hunters that know NM game units best and have harvested magnificent animals do not participate in forums like this.
I myself have started to refrain from posting on forums because of the negativity, gossip and competition that can surface from these sites.
I am however an advocate of sharing productive information and helping out my fellow hunters that are not able to scout areas like unit 53 because of lifes obligations or living in other states.
Any tips you are willing to share with someone new to the area? Any help offered would be a game changer as I have had 2 bulls I scouted disappear with the uptick in Atvs at the start of the hunt.

Any tips you are willing to share with someone new to the area? Any help offered would be a game changer as I have had 2 bulls I scouted disappear with the uptick in Atvs at the start of the hunt.
Best tip I can give you is don't expect to hear back from a guy that last posted in 2009.

Good luck on your hunt! Maybe someone will send you a PM about the unit....

Despite no help from anyone on here except for a snarky comment mentioning “good luck getting a reply from an old post” I punched out on a nice bull 2nd morning. It didn’t take me long to figure it out. I’ll I will say is make sure you are in really, I mean realllly, good shape. Once you get away from all the roadside hunters it is like another world.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom