Unit 53 Horse trails

bogart

I will be going to unit 53 for an archery elk hunt. I am considering takes my 4 mules on this hunt. I was curious if anyone had and experience riding and camping in this unit. I'd like to know if there is plenty of grass for the mules and how plentiful water is.

Not to much experience in 53 my friend. I do know there is some good country for them . My past experience has led me to make the decision to never leave home on an elk hunt without my horses! Good luck

Planned on starting around Lobo Peak and Lobo creek

Bring your Mules then. Access is San Cristobal canyon from the west side, Yerba canyon from the south. Lobo creek is all ptivate at the bottom (West) can't get in that way. Will be grass and water in SC canyon, haven't been up it in a while but I bet the dead fall hasn't been cleared so you might have to bushwack around some down trees. At the top is Cow Lake off the north side of Lobo. You can also access from Columbine canyon on the north side this trail is usually kept up and in good shape. GL
Jack

Was up there since Thursday. Mountains need moisture badly ! Thankfully all the river valleys were lush and full of green pasture ! Saw tons of super fat elk!
42578.jpeg

Mr Cosmic! I did see several calves sir, though unfortunately I saw a great number of cows calveless! I believe you are correct , my top suspect is the bears. I'm considering applying there next year. I will definitely be taking a hit in the big bull department if I was to draw, but it's the type of country a man and his pack string need to be in at least once in his life time.

I will be going to unit 53 for an archery elk hunt. I am considering takes my 4 mules on this hunt. I was curious if anyone had and experience riding and camping in this unit. I'd like to know if there is plenty of grass for the mules and how plentiful water is.
Hey Bogart, how was your elk hunt? We’re headed up Friday for rifle beginning Saturday. Thought about hanging out on Lobo, as we were scouting. Any recommendations?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom