Unit 54 closures

idahoguy

Looks like the forest service has shut down most of unit 54. Everything east of rock creek is closed until october 30 due to the badger fire.

I think if the majority of the unit is burnt they ranchers one for next year. I could be wrong however. Right now the fire sits at 100,000 acres and 0% containment. It is not going to be good.

Wow, didn’t realize how big that fire is; looks like half the unit.

Ide still hunt it though. It narrowed down the country where you’d want to look. All the deer will now be concentrated in the half of the unit that isn’t burned.

I agree with you. I am not even hunting 54 this year, I just figured people who were would want to know so they could make plans.

Could any of you guys knowledgeable about this unit speculate what the fire will do to the deer migration into my Nevada 081 December deer hunt?

Could any of you guys knowledgeable about this unit speculate what the fire will do to the deer migration into my Nevada 081 December deer hunt?

I’m guessing those deer will stay put north of the border like they always do this time of year; there’s still plenty of good country on the ID side for them to spend their fall there. The hunt on the ID side may push some of them south into NV before they normally get down there. But most will move when the weather pushes them. Not the fire.

Thanks,
I am hoping the fire does not change their normal weather related migration south into Nevada

Hopefully Idaho’s deer herds start to see a increase, they haven’t been doing so great the last 5-6 years

Hopefully Idaho’s deer herds start to see a increase, they haven’t been doing so great the last 5-6 year
Its not just Idaho mule deer in EVERY state
Are declining. until they figure out how to improve,preserve or create preferred habitat
They will continue to decline
We will NEVER see the,return of the good old days,when 400-500 thousand mule deer roamed the,states, even if you Shut down mule deer hunting entirely for a few years
The habitat just isn't there

There is a place maybe 5-600 acres that is full of deer in the winter time that I just noticed contractors cutting out access to build some houses, I think that’s getting to be the norm now a days

There is a place maybe 5-600 acres that is full of deer in the winter time that I just noticed contractors cutting out access to build some houses, I think that’s getting to be the norm now a days
And its probably houses,that will be bought by guys,that are,complaining about the terrible,mule,deer numbers

Has anyone heard if the early season rifle hunt tag reduction to 300 will stick for a couple of years or is it a one time thing for fire rainchecks?

More likely they’ll be bought by Californian animal rights advocates who are against us hunting the same wildlife they have no issue displacing from its habitat
They would be part of the same group of people complaining about mule,deer populations that I mentioned in my post

Has anyone heard if the early season rifle hunt tag reduction to 300 will stick for a couple of years or is it a one time thing for fire rainchecks?
That interesting, I would figure their tag recommendations would include whatever rain checks they had to give not be in addition to. Does anybody know the answer to this? Are there really 300 + whatever rain checks they have to give?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom