Unit 54 Colin Neblett WMA

nmyotebuster

Evening ALL,

Just wondering if you all have any suggestions about this area? My Brother in Law has the rifle hunt starting on the 11th, and we have scouted a bit, but was hoping there is someone who may have some pointers for him.

He has never shot a bull, and we thought this would be a great chance.

We have hiked in a bit to the Tolby Meadow, but didn't hit it too hard.

What are your thoughts on finding a Mature Bull in this area ( we aren't looking for the biggest stinky in the area, just one that qualifies as mature ). Though we won't pass either :)

It was a rough archery season for us in 16a, ( he came along as camp cook and pack mule ), so I thought I would throw out a feeler to see if I could get him some xtra info.

Thanks in advance, and good hunting to everyone else.

JD

I could look it up, but are you talking the north or south side of 64? I could give you some tips if it's the north side. If south,I know that BIGBULL48 took a nice bull off there several years ago and might be able to point you in a direction.

Thanks Mozey for the response. I should have been more specific so thanks for the bump.

We will be on the south side of 64, and plan on backpacking in and staying in the WMA the whole hunt if we can.

I just looked at the weather forecast, and for eagle's nest, Saturday nite is going to be COLD ( 15 ). But that is hunting, and why we love to do it.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Watching you all help each other here is what drove me to finally sign up.

NM

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-08 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]Let me see if I can find out anything from BIGBULL and I'll get back to you. As he tells the story, he was on a point at first light when he was able to spot a couple off in the distance with the sun reflecting off them like flashlights. He and his son were able to sneak right up on them as they were working over some trees, shot the bigger one, and then ended up riding its carcass down the mountain in a blizzard. I may be confusing a couple of his stories, but I know one of the nicer bulls in his garage came from CN South...

Mozey is right on, not confusing stories.
I'll send you a pm. I already gave a guy that is
hunting the hunt after you some info, I don't want
to undermine him.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-08 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]BIGBULL48,

PM returned, and THANKS for the info. When we get back we will pass any info we get back to you so you can pass it on to your buddy as well.

Mozey, Thanks for asking around for me.

NM

Yote,
Sent another pm to answer your question.
Whack a big one, show us pics.
BB

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom