Unit 54 Rainbow Lake access

I

ilbowhunter2

I am planning to hunt the West Elks during the last full week of the archery elk season. Does anyone have any information on the Rainbow Lake access point? Will I be fighting huge crowds from this access point and all places within a few miles hike?

I've considered the Soap Creek access points as well. From what I understand there is a really steep section of the Soap Creek road that you'd need a 4 wheeler or winch to navigate. Are there any spots I should consider accessing from the last campground on the Soap Creek road?

Thanks for all of your input.
Feel free to PM me with your comments if you prefer.

Rainbow Lake is popular because it's a good road that you can pull a trailer up. You'll see alot of horse trailers at the trail head. If you hunt there you'll have a lot of company. Soap Creek does have a steep section that requires 4 wheel drive. I can't pull my little pop-up camper up there with my truck. The road is narrow but not too rough, that one hill is the only tough spot. I think there is a trail head near the bottom campground that goes across the creek to the east. There is also good access from Red Creek, the next drainage to the east. Access from the far west side of the unit via Black Mesa is difficult. From there you have to get up out of the canyon and on top to hunt. There is access via Mill Creek to the east and some points off Kebler Pass on the north side too. If you really want to get creative, bring a small boat and motor up the Elk Creek drainage. I always wanted to do that, I always see elk in there from Red Creek side.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom