Unit 55 3rd season

BORN&RAISEDNV

Looking for some info on this hunt. My parents both drew NR this year. Will be a family hunt with my brothers and parents. They are both 60+ years old. Never been to Colorado to hunt muleys before. Any info good or bad would be welcomed. Could trade info on Nevada hunting to anyone interested. TIA.

The basin was tough last year and 55 was no exception. 55 has sage brush all the way up to above timberline. The genetics are there to produce a giant. I would keep moving until I found the elevation that the deer are located, once you find the does, the big bucks maybe nocturnal, but still around. There is no magic deal or location, cover ground and glass.

Rich

The basin was tough last year and 55 was no exception. 55 has sage brush all the way up to above timberline. The genetics are there to produce a giant. I would keep moving until I found the elevation that the deer are located, once you find the does, the big bucks maybe nocturnal, but still around. There is no magic deal or location, cover ground and glass.

Rich
Thanks for the info lostinOregon, much appreciated!

Cabin creek, lost canyon and Dry Gulch area. Hit the sage hard. Been in there and those elk hunters are pushing all over and the deer will move

What do all of you think is a realistic goal to set for bucks? Obviously the unit has a great genetic history and is probably capable of producing a buck of a lifetime. But what is realistic? 180+? 190+? 160+, haha?

Good to know. I have always said there same thing. Score don't matter, when you see your buck you will know. If your trying to convince yourself then move on. We all love the experience. All the conversations on the mountain and at camp. Don't get me wrong we like big bucks too, but not everything

Bring a 4 wheeler or other UTV as the roads and trails are heavily used and very rocky and rutted up. If you get some snow you’ll be happy that you don’t have to Drive your pickup.

Well the season is done and we went 1 for 2. Glasses up a lot of deer and smaller bucks! Mom tagged out on a great buck but dad never saw one he wanted to pull the trigger on. Wanted to thank everyone that have me info, it was all very usef
It is a very unique buck, wasn't exactly sure how to score it. ( I score a lot of bucks every year) I came up with 187 5/8" gross. Biggest thing was she was super excited about it! Good luck to forth season hunters, it was snowing when we left, should be great!

IMG_20201112_192135.jpg
IMG_20201112_192157~2.jpg
IMG_20201112_200400.jpg

IMG_20201112_192230.jpg

Congrats on a great buck! Would you recommend the unit as a decent 2nd season option? as far as access, enjoyable hunt (possibility of 160 bucks)? One of the units I am considering for my 70 y/o dad next year. Just want him to shoot 140-160 type deer.

Congrats on a great buck! Would you recommend the unit as a decent 2nd season option? as far as access, enjoyable hunt (possibility of 160 bucks)? One of the units I am considering for my 70 y/o dad next year. Just want him to shoot 140-160 type deer.
Can't speak for second season with confidence. The unit was very busy with all the elk hunters. We saw quite a few in the range you are talking about but it was about half way through the third season. I would imagine you would have to hunt high.

Congratulations! Such a cool unique buck.

Well the season is done and we went 1 for 2. Glasses up a lot of deer and smaller bucks! Mom tagged out on a great buck but dad never saw one he wanted to pull the trigger on. Wanted to thank everyone that have me info, it was all very usef
It is a very unique buck, wasn't exactly sure how to score it. ( I score a lot of bucks every year) I came up with 187 5/8" gross. Biggest thing was she was super excited about it! Good luck to forth season hunters, it was snowing when we left, should be great!

View attachment 17691View attachment 17692View attachment 17696

View attachment 17693
Beautiful Bucks and story..congrats to your family.

@BORN&RAISEDNV I hunted unit 55 3rd season on 2015. DM me and I can share some intel
@BORN&RAISEDNV I hunted unit 55 3rd season on 2015. DM me and I can share some intel
I'm looking at 55, 66, 67 units for 2021 with 12 points. How did your 55 hunt go this season ? I've never hunted it before. Took my SILaw to 66 3 rd, this season, very poor overall, disappointing . Tag soup. 12 points wasted !
Any intel to help choice would be very helpful & appreciated !
Thanks so much ! Jerry Gold, Windsor, Colorado
EM: [email protected]
I'm 73. But still mobile relatively speaking ! LOL ??????

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom