Unit 55, 551, 66 and 67 2nd and 3rd Season Doe tags

PLK

I keep reading all the gloom and doom regarding the Gunnison Basin deer hunting and new for 2020 the CPW has added doe tags for the 2nd and 3rd season hunts in Unit 55, Unit 551, Unit 66 and Unit 67. What is the reasoning behind this? How many doe tags in each season? Is the winter range in that bad of shape that deer numbers need to be reduced? Is is to increase the buck to doe ratio? I’m guessing that nobody will knowingly apply for these tags as a first choice and would also assume that non-residents will not spend $400+ on a doe tag. Anyone have any insight?

It’s a good question and puzzling. Maybe it’s about CWD. A year a ago it was supposed that there was no CWD in the Basin. Now the new Big Game Brochure shows it in 66 and 551; and 551 has no contiguous units with the disease. How does that work? They have already dramatically increased the number of buck tags and are moving the seasons later. It appears they want to decrease the deer numbers overall. An explanation from CPW would be nice.

Not sure what their management objective is, but the increases could be related to that. Remember, after the bad 07/08 winter it was clear that the available severe winter range can only support so many deer. Just a thought.

Whoever you all have running the show in Colorado right now sure is doing a hell of job managing the deer herd. Judas...

It’s a good question and puzzling. Maybe it’s about CWD. A year a ago it was supposed that there was no CWD in the Basin. Now the new Big Game Brochure shows it in 66 and 551; and 551 has no contiguous units with the disease. How does that work? They have already dramatically increased the number of buck tags and are moving the seasons later. It appears they want to decrease the deer numbers overall. An explanation from CPW would be nice.

It was a mistake, which has been corrected:

“The GMU map with CWD units highlighted in yellow and red was incorrect at the time of publication. The correct information is:
Units 66 and 551 should NOT have been highlighted for CWD detection. The online version of the brochure has been updated with this correction.”

Nope...just fully invested. ;)
I was hoping you could shed some light on why CPW has decided that shooting does in Gunnison is a good idea. It appears to me now that it was done for the added revenue to support Colorado State Parks. I see no benefit to the deer herds.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom